‹ Prequel: About Falling
Status: In progress.

Ready When You Are

Nice Gesture

Image

"Cheyenne?" Diane answered the phone.

"Hi Diane, is he OK?" Cheyenne said in a quiet, still shocked tone.

"I don't know, we haven't see him yet it just happened this afternoon." She was talking fast and she seemed about ready to cry again.

"Do you want me to come down?" She asked.

"Honey, we're not allowed to see him yet, I'll call you as soon as we can and you can come in then."

"OK, I'll leave my phone on loud tonight. Of anything happens, please tell me."

"I will honey, I will."

"Thanks, everything will be OK."

"I know honey, I hope. Get some sleep."

"You too, Diane."

"Bye honey."

"Buh-bye." Cheyenne hung up.

She sighed and rubbed her head. She put the Hummer in drive and took her time driving home. When she pulled in the driveway, everyone was already gone, much to her dismay. As she entered the house, she threw her purse and keys on the couch, keeping her phone on the counter in the kitchen with her.

She lazily made some chicken ramen and opened herself a beer. She didn't drink much, but if she drank enough, it would help her sleep that night. The first night alone in the gigantic house.

When her dinner was done she took it, along with her phone, and a bowl of dog food up to the bed room. Peaches was locked in her cage and started whining with excitement at the sight of her. Cheyenne let the dog out of the cage, and placed the bowl of food down in front of her. She quickly changed into sweatpants and a tank top and crawled into bed.

She turned the TV on and kept her phone on loud on the nightstand. She put on When In Rome and watched it while she ate her dinner. She only paused the movie to go downstairs with Peaches. She let her puppy out to go potty and put her dishes in the sink, grabbing another beer for herself. She went around turning lights off, keeping on the dim one lit in the kitchen.

Peaches led the way back to the bedroom where Cheyenne retreated to the same spot as before, Peaches joining her on the bed. As Chey downed the last of her beer, she felt her eyes turning on her and slowly start to close. Before she knew it, she was fast asleep.

Her phone blared at midnight. Cheyenne woke up to read that Bam had a lay over in Texas and she had a hard time falling back asleep after that. Around two in the morning she fell back asleep. She must have slept through Bam's second text because she didn't wake up until she got a call around 7 or 8.

"I've said it once, I've said it twive, I've said it a thousand fucking times. That I'm OK, that I'm fine, that it's all just in my mind-" Her phone blared as it fell to the floor when she tried to grab it. She groaned and reached over the side of the bed and picked it up.

"Hello?" She murmured.

"Hi honey, it's Diane. I'm so sorry if I woke you."

"It's ok." She sighed and sat up, rubbing her eyes.

"Jake was moved to a room about an hour ago and we were able to seem him." She was speaking in a hushed tone. "You can come in any time you like. He's been in and out, he's in pain but they have him on morphine and something else, I'm not sure..." Her voice died off.

"Give me a little while to get ready and I'll be down there." She said and rubbed her shoulder next.

"OK honey, when you come in, come in through the main doors and just tell them you're here to see Jake. They should tell you where to go. If they give you trouble, let me know."

"OK, I'll see you then. Bye."

"Bye honey."

Cheyenne hung up and groaned as she forced herself off the bed. All of the bones in her back cracked but it was more of a relieving feeling.

"Well look at you." She murmured to Peaches who was snuggled in a ball on the bed.

Cheyenne pulled on a fresh pair of LOVE Pink sweatpants, a clean cami, and a hoodie to match because of how chilly it was outside. After feeding and watering Peaches, as well as letting her out, she put her back in the cage. However, this one was downstairs in the living room. Cheyenne ate a banana quick and decided to steal the keys to the Lambo.

She went out to the Lambo and got in, driving to a small market in town where she could buy flowers. She bought a "Get Well" boquet with some of Jake's favorite colors. It was a nice gesture she thought.

She made her way to the hospital and got to Jake's area with not much of a problem. The nurse controlling the hallway's doors made Cheyenne put on a plastic bracelet to confirm she was a visitor and then told her which room. She walked down the hall in her flip flops, stopping at room 524. She knocked gently and waited for the door to open.