Learning to Love

Chapter 2: Just smile:

Shawn’s P.O.V:

I thumped my alarm clock and groaned, realising that it was yet another school day. Yet another day of boredom. I got changed into my uniform, hoping that it was clean…or clean enough at least. “Where the fuck is my belt?” I said underneath my breath.

“Probably on the floor along with the rest of your wardrobe,” came my Mum’s voice from the doorway. I swear I flew at least 3 feet.

“What the hell Mum!?” I yelled. “You scared the life outta me!”

“And don’t you go swearing in this house!” Seems like I can’t say anything anymore! “We both know that there’s no life left in you.”

“Whatever Mum…” I sighed as she went on to explain how I should be happier and less pessimistic.

“All you need to do is smile honey!” she concluded.

“Give me a reason to and sure, I’ll smile more.” I do smile. I smile quite a lot. Just not at fuck knows what time in the morning after losing my favourite belt…

“Well I’ll find a reason, don’t you worry about that! Now get ready for school.” She smiled her over exaggerated smile and left the room. Finally! There’s only so much of her I can stand in the morning. I mean sure, I love her. But I hate overly happy people all the time. I turned around to get my bag and something shiny caught my eye. I stepped closer to the window where I saw it, smiling to myself as I realised it was my belt…hanging from the tree. Ah, right where I left it. I snuck out last night to see a local gig and on the way back through the window, my belt got caught on the tree. I was too tired to attempt to detangle myself then, so I took it off and left it there, figuring I’d remember it in the morning. Well I guess I didn’t, but what’s important is that I found it. I opened my window and reached over to get it. Just in reach…Lucky. I put it on, grabbed my bag and went to get something to eat before I went to hell.

---

It wasn’t until I was going to my first class that it clicked it was a Monday. I hate Mondays. Everyone does. I have an extra reason though. I have assembly on Mondays. Ever since my home group was moved to different seats in the auditorium, I’d been bored as in assembly. I used to be able to see my crush from my home groups’ old seats…but then we were moved. Sucks…I loved to stare at her doing nothing in particular. She does the cutest things when she thinks no one’s watching her, like bounces up and down just slightly, but enough to make it noticeable.

---

Oh boy…assembly. Woo hoo. Please, note the sarcasm. A whole hour filled with boring people talking, singing shitty songs and developing a sore ass. Of course, I’d never sing...in assembly at least. I stared at my shoes for quite some time…long enough to decide that I probably needed to polish them. They were looking pretty scuffed. I liked them that way though. Kinda rebelling against the whole ‘neat uniform’ rule. However, I managed to tear my eyes away from my oh-so interesting shoes as I heard a distinct voice. So sweet and small…She sounded scared. I just wanna go up and hug her! I listened intently as those troubled words flowed so perfectly from her soft lips. Okay, now I really wanna go hug her…
And I think I need a hug too. She’s got a crush?

---

“Fucking hell!” I yelled as I finally managed to leave the auditorium. I got in trouble for jumping over the seats to try and get out quicker.

“Young man!” Oh crap…I turned around, becoming face to face with yet another teacher. He handed me a green slip. I could recite the text on that slip off by heart now. ‘Detention. Today lunchtime, room 58. Failure to attend will result in a Saturday detention.’

“What!?” I said, rather loud too. Another detention! Great, that makes 3 weeks in a row! I’m on my own new record.

“School is no place for language like that!” he bellowed. “I trust you know what you need to do with this?” I snatched the green slip from him.

“Yes,” I muttered. I stalked off in the direction of the front office. Unbelievable! What is it, pick on Shawn’s bad language day!? I pushed open the door to the office and almost stomped up to the front desk. “I need to see the fucking principal to sign this,” I said in a pissed off tone. The staff member frowned at me. Damn it! I then received a lecture on why I shouldn’t swear.

“Now go sit down and wait,” the lady said to me. I don’t like her. I turned around and almost froze when I saw that Chrystal was also in the office. I decided to just go for it and take the seat beside her. Now she probably thinks I’m some sort of bad tempered freak. She looked at me funny, but then smiled. I’ve never seen her smile before. Well, I have. But she’s never smiled directly at me. I smiled back at her, attempting to look nicer then I just appeared to be to the office lady.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey,
Thanks if you're reading!
I've decided that I'll keep going with this cos 2 people like it so far, which is good enough for me! :P
Thanks guys :D