Status: chapter a week

Annabelle

That House

One Sunday, Mother scheduled a play date for Amelia and Lily and I had to walk Lily there. The whole way to the beginning of the street Lily talked about how excited she was and for some reason I listened carefully to what she had to say. We knocked on the door and a young sweet faced maid opened the door and before we could say a word she called the girls down and walked away. Amelia ran down the stairs with Anna following at her own passé. Lily and Amelia hugged, giggled and then Amelia ran up the stairs with Lily close behind. Anna and I looked at each other and just laughed at our very excited little sisters. Her long hair was down today and in her face it made her looked older, I liked it.

“Ben I didn’t know you were coming as well.”

Before I could tell her I was just staying to say goodbye she grabbed my hand and said “Come on silly you don’t have to stay by the door come in I’ll show you around.”

She took my hand and showed me the downstairs first, then the upstairs; she has a really nice house, it was similar to mine. As we were going up the stairs you could hear our sister’s giggle Anna told me Mia got new dolls for her birthday and was excited for someone to play with. I assumed Annabelle was not one for dolls.

The long walk to Anna’s room was scenic, the room I liked most was the library just before Anna’s room, it had thousands of beautiful leather bound books much like the one Anna had on the first day of school. At the end of the long hallway was Anna’s room.

“Mother told me it was her room when she was little so I have to keep it nice.” Anna said with a smile.

She had two book cases full of books that were scattered all over her room.the walls looked old but were well kept. The room was a pale shade of purple with yellow flowers painted on the walls. She pulled a deck of cards from the top drawer of her night stand and we sat on her floor playing cards, she taught me how to play “Spades”.

That alone time gave us a chance to talk about more personal things without Edward and his brother listening. She told me about how her dad died during the war right after Mia was born and how her mom got remarried to William; who her grandfather hated. She had a special anger for William, every time she talked about him her voice got tense and to think Mr. Lowell hated someone was just odd to me.

We talked for a long time but it came time for Lily and I to leave. Anna gave me a big hug then we spend ten minutes prying Lily and Mia away from each other. Lily and I didn’t talk very much on the walk home because we both had great days and were sad that they had to end so soon. When we got home my Mother made us dinner and told us next week we could invite Anna and Mia to dinner and to spend the day, which made my sister and me very happy.