Status: active

The Prince's Tutor

Chapter Twelve

The morning sun perched high above the Bellhart house, lightly shining onto the closed eyelids of its residents. Callie’s bedroom was illuminated as reflections of the sun bounced against the fading violet wallpaper.

Callie was hunched over at her desk, furiously writing. Every now and then she glanced at her sister’s bed, making sure that her small form was still hidden under the covers. The graphite softly scratched the paper as Callie finished the last of her homework.

Once she finished, she quietly dressed and attempted to control her freefalling curls. Sighing, she gave up and shrugged at the girl standing in the mirror. After gathering her things, she tip toed her way past Gen and closed the door behind her.

Callie glanced at her watch and made her way over to the kitchen. The small and cramped room of her childhood radiated familiar warmth. She saw a note on the counter and picked it up.

Callie,

I’ll be late for supper. There’s leftovers in the fridge that you can heat up.
Also, I gave Tom money yesterday so don’t give him any if he asks for it.

I love you all,

Mum

P.S. Please pick up Gen from school today! I won’t be able to be there!


Callie’s eyes scanned over the note a second and third time before gently placing it into her pocket.

“Morning.”

Callie looked at the direction where the voice had come from and saw Tommy lazily stroll into the kitchen. His blond hair was tousled and he rubbed at his eyes repeatedly. Traces of sleep deprivation were visible on his angular face as he took the pitcher off the kitchen table.

“You haven’t slept well,” Callie replied in a soft voice, handing him an empty glass.

Tom responded with pouring water into the glass and drinking the entire glass in one gulp. He nodded after he was finished and replaced the pitcher.

“Yeah, just can’t seem to anymore. Gen still asleep?” he grumbled.

“Yeah, but she won’t be for long. I’m taking Gen to school today so you’ll have to pick her up.”
“I always do both,” he said, his brows knitting together.

“I know, but I’ll do it today,” she said with a small smile, “Just don’t forget.”

“Cal,” Tommy said without hesitation, “can I borrow some money?”

Callie turned around, her hand on the note in her pocket. She pursed her lips unhappily before responding.

“For what?”

“Just some stuff. Personal stuff.”

“You’re joking. Mum just gave you some yesterday.”

“Yeah but I ran out already. Besides, the money yesterday was for Gen’s class trip.”

Callie raised an eyebrow suspiciously and crossed her arms against her chest as Tommy did his best at giving her a pitiful look.

“Please, Callie?”

Callie let out a groan as she reached into her school bag and placed the money into Tommy’s palm.

“You’re so damn spoiled…” she said, regretting her actions already.

Tommy let out a laugh through his thin lips and patted his older sister on the head, the way one might do to a loved pet.

“That’s why you’re my favorite sister.” Callie smacked the hand away and rolled her eyes.

“Come off it. Now wake up Gen. We’re going to be late.”

~*~

Harry sat opposite Callie at the familiar table in the back of the library. She had shadows casted over her delicate face, all meeting in one particular spot beneath her eyes. Her curls hugged her jaw line gracefully and Harry couldn’t help but stare at her as she checked over his homework.

She glided her tongue over her bottom lip ever couple of moments, as if trying to savor a sweet taste. It gave Harry a sunken feeling in the pit of his stomach, watching her doing so.

“Its right,” she mumbled quietly after observing the sheet of wrinkled paper.

“What?” he asked, lifting his eyes off Callie for the first time.

“There aren’t any mistakes,” she said with a smile, “I think you’re ready for your test tomorrow.”

“It doesn’t matter. I’m not showing up tomorrow,” he said.

“Why? What is it about school that you hate so much?”

“It’s school. Ask anyone. Not everyone’s a swot like you.”

Callie watched as Harry stared at the book in front of him, a gloomy expression on his face.

“Hmmm,” she pondered out loud, trying to catch his attention. “I think I have something that could cheer you up.”

Harry looked over at her, watching her every move carefully. The same feeling came back into his stomach.

“Let’s go out for ice cream.”

“What?” Harry laughed, feeling a shred of warmth come back to him. “Am I a little kid?”

“Fine,” she said packing up her things, “I guess His Majesty is too good for us common folk.”

Callie watched as Harry’s eyes flickered unhappily under the overhead lamp. She could tell he was deciding whether or not to agree or just stand up and leave. After waiting for a few moments he stood up and reached into his cargo short pockets.

“Fine, but I’m paying.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello! I know this chapter is short, but I've already began writing the thirteenth one so expect it out soon!

Also, thank you so much for your support! You guys are seriously amazing. :)

If any of you want to add me on tumblr, feel free to do so! It's pretty addicting. :P