Status: active

The Prince's Tutor

Chapter Nine

As Callie exited the library, she saw Helen walk up to her, a look of suspicion on her face.

“Why was Prince Harry talking to you?”
“What?” Callie asked, suddenly nervous.
“Just now, he was standing next to you!”
“Oh, that. He was simply looking for a book and asked me if I knew where the Biographies were.”

Helen’s eyes grew larger with excitement as she began tugging on Callie’s arm.

“Oh, you lucky whore! Why is it that I never get anything?”

Callie raised her eyebrow at Helen’s statement. She found it quite difficult to understand her, especially the part about Callie being a prostitute. She had no idea where that came from.

Helen stared out into space for a moment, completely dazed by whatever had consumed her mind. She stayed that way for some minutes, lost in whatever daydream she created. Callie felt uncomfortable interrupting her, but after a few moments she began to worry and waved her fingers in front of her face.

“Helen?”
“It’s his birthday you know!” Helen exclaimed suddenly.
“Whose?” Callie asked, wondering if these sudden spasms happened often.
“Prince Harry’s. The Royal Family is having a whole celebration for it and everything. I hope it’ll be broadcasted on the telly.”

Suddenly what Helen had been rambling about had finally hit her. It was his birthday.

*~*

Callie’s finger gently touched the glass while she selected her purchase. The elder man picked up the item and began to wrap it delicately into tissue before placing it into a small, humble box. As he handed her the box, he returned Callie’s smile with a soft twinkle in his eye.

Callie took out the note she had written previous, and attached it carefully to the box next to the decorative string.

Perfect. Hopefully, he would think so too.

Upon exiting the shop, Callie looked down at her watch only to be startled by how late she was. She was now close to an hour late for their lesson and she still didn’t think of what she would say to him when she got there.

Callie began to sprint down the streets of Cambridge, hoping for the first time that Harry was not on time.

*~*

By the time she had made it to the library, Callie was out of breath. All her studying left little time for anything else, including exercise.

The first thing she saw as she entered the double oak doors was his figure, standing next to the closest table. The second thing that attracted her attention was his face-red and angry.

Didn’t this boy ever smile?

When his eyes met with hers, they didn’t soften. He edged closer to Callie, slowly releasing the pressured air that he had been holding in while he waited for her.

“Harry, I’m sorry! I didn’t realize the time-”

“You can’t do anything right, can you?" he said angrily, licking his lips as he released all the bottled anxiety.

She was never late. She had him thinking something had happened to her, god forbid.

“I know I’m wrong. I just didn’t think you’d actually-”

“What the point of being my tutor if you can’t even be on time? And I actually decided to come early today."

Callie paused for a moment, as she realized what he had just said.

“You mean how you make me wait on you every day? Doesn’t feel so nice, does it?”

Harry stared at her for a long moment, ashamed and at a loss for words. His discomfort annoyed him, so he decided to change the subject.

“What’s in the bag?” Harry moved closer to her, snaking his head around to try to see behind her back.

“What?” Callie said, surprised by his sudden interest. “Oh, this is just…”

Callie took a deep breath, closing her eyes momentarily. When she opened them again Harry was only a couple inches away from her, waiting for her to continue.

“Harry,” she began, her voice quivering slightly. “When we last spoke I said some hurtful things to you.”

Harry’s expression hadn’t changed. He held a consistent blank expression on his face, although his features began to soften with Callie’s every word.

“And I couldn’t ask for your forgiveness without compensating for my behavior.”

Callie paused naturally, trying to pull any sort of emotion from the young prince’s face. Mysterious, this boy. He really did have all his emotions on lockdown.

“So with this, I would like to officially ask for your forgiveness. I’m sorry, Harry. I was completely out of line, and if you don’t forgive me that’s okay, it’s your decision, honestly if I was in your place I don’t think I would ever-”

“Callie.” Harry said softly, cutting off the rambling girl.

Callie outstretched her hand to him, the bag dangling lightly in her grasp.

Harry took the bag and opened it slowly. He opened the small, delicate box to reveal a steel, antique watch.

Harry examined the object, before picking up the note and reading it softly to himself.

Harry,

Despite all of our conflicts, I want to wish you a happy birthday. I really am sorry for what I said last time. I hope you will forgive me.

My only wish is for you to have a wonderful birthday full of laughter, fun, happiness, and of course loved ones

Sincerely,

Callie.
P.S. I hope with the addition of the new watch, you can finally be on time for our lessons!


Callie shifted nervously from her side, adding softly “It isn’t much or anything,”

“No, it’s great. It really is, thank you,” he said, genuinely.

He was dumbfounded by her, each time they met she somehow surprised him.

Callie was taken aback by his reaction. She smiled at him, feeling that maybe for the first time a friendship could grow between them. That’d be much less stressful then their constant ups and downs.

Harry looked up at Callie for a second, his expression turning serious all at one.

“Why did you do all this?” he asked.

“What do you mean, I thought it was obvious?” Callie asked.

“Why did you buy me a present? I’ve been pretty horrible to you. I don’t understand.”

Callie smiled at his ignorance. He really did have a lot to learn about people.

“Because I believe that a person, no matter how horrible, deserves to be celebrated on his birthday. No matter how rotten you act, I believe there’s good in you. I won’t give up.”

After she finished her last word, she smiled at him softly and began to turn around- leaving him to think about what she had just said.

“Callie, wait!” He yelled after her.

Harry licked his lips once more, not believing the words he was about to say.

“I’d feel like an asshole if I didn’t ask you this, so here goes,” he said, allowing his eyes to match hers.

“Would you like to come to my birthday dinner tomorrow?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright, so I have no excuse for not updating. I'm truly sorry. But I did update for you all since the heavy guilt of not writing got to me. Thank you to all my readers for supporting my story the way you all have. This chapter is not my favorite. I've re-written it about three times and it's still not the way I want it. But I figured it might not ever be the way I had imagined it because the scene was written in my head so long ago. I'm sorry to those of you who have found this chapter disappointing. My writing has been getting worse, and I blame that on my lack of updates.

Thanks for everyone's comments, especially the ones badgering me to write.

I love you all.

~Mia