Status: Active(:

He's My Protector.

Chapter 2

I sat down on my stiff bed. Now that I look at it, it's not a bed. It's more like a old worn faded blue couch. As I leaned back, I listened to the croak of the old springs. This is the same old bed I've been living on since I was 10.

That's basically when things went downhill for me. Sure, I was young then, but that didn't mean there wasn't still the basic gang. My mother died around that age, no one knows why. We moved to this old town in Utah. The town is, basically, split in half.

One half is the Diamonds. They are the spoiled kids in Salt Lake. They have everything and anything they want. A private school, a new car here, a new house there. This one girl had her own house by the time she was 11, although it was on there parent's property.

The other half is the Rusts. That half is us. We never asked for much, let alone got much. My father was constantly working anyway, the only love I had ever gotten was from my dog Rover. Rover turned into a Rovette and sooner or later was just had to sell her and the pups all together. I was truly lost. You wouldn't understand if you never had a dog. She was my best friend.

For at least a month, I was skipping school. I gave up the point. Who was there to impress anywhere? That's when I met them. They were the Red Wings. All ages from 13 to 20 were sets of boys just like me. Lost, confused, hurt. Although, they didn't see me as a equal.

They were never good news.

They beat me up that day, and the day after, and the day after. Eventually, they even took a blade out on me. I remember it as if it was yesterday.

I was only 11 at that time. I was walking anywhere from home, from school, from anything to remind me how good other people have it. I was just beginning to look around, realizing where I was. It was worse then the place my house was placed. We lived in the better part of Rust, and compared to these, we seemed rich.

The houses weren't houses. They were shacks. The stores weren't stores. They were stands. The boys here weren't boys, they were monsters. I had just heard there footsteps pounding after me.

My pulse increased as I began pounded to get away. I saw there shadows slowly creeping up behind me. "Aye, little boy. Where do you think you're going?" One of the bigger boys said, coming out of the alley way. He was followed by two smaller but bulkier boys.

Fear froze me in my spot. "Runt, you best be standing still, easier to finish you." Another said. "Rodrick, Marco. Sick him." With that, two of the smallest boys came running at me. Something flashed through me. I don't exactly know what, but something did. I ran up to one and twisted him arm around grabbing his switch blade and held it out to the other boy. With that, he checked his pockets before retreated back into the group.

"I like you, boy." One chanted. "Ya, you aren't so bad, Runt."

With that, I was accepted into the Red Wings. I grew up with them. Sadly, we all seemed to grow apart about a year ago. Marco and Rodrick went to college, three of the biggest boys became wrestlers, and the rest went of god knows where.

A crack snapped me back to my attention. Just then, my butt hit the cold hard wood floor. I jumped up to my broken bed and sighed. I ran my fingers through my dark brown hair as I felt my icy blue eyes gaze out the window. I had to get a job like the rest of the Red Wings.

I grabbed my old leather wallet and shoved it in my pocket. Slipping on my old tennis shoes with various holes in them, and walked out the door.

If I ever wanted to get a job, I'd have to go Walco, the huge supermarket right on the border of the Rusts and Diamonds. I sneaked between the two large sliding glass doors and looked at the For Hiring posters.

Just then, I over heard a older gentlemen discussing a rather strange topic with a younger cashier. "Excuse me, sir." I stated, my southern accent shining just a bit. I've been here 9 years and I'm beginning to not sound like a southerner.

"Yes?" The other man asked me, quite annoyed. "I heard you were looking for a body guard." I said with a small smile. My eyes shone a gleam to them as I stared at him. A flicker of hope shot off in his eyes as he faced me.

"Yes, yes I was. Do you know some one who could do this job?" He asked, sizing me up. "Yes sir. That would be me. " I gleamed, if I just let him see what I could do with a pocket knife, I knew I could keep anyone safe. I've always been just looking out for myself and my gang.

"Come to the Kieth Estate around 5. I would like you to meet Annette." He smiled as he strolled away. Wait, Annette? The memories that name brings to me. It was a phase the Red Wings went through. Each Friday we would ask a new girl out. By Monday, the quick fling was done.

One Friday rolled along, I got Annette. Sure, I played it off as another girl, but she wasn't. She was different from the rest of us Rusts. She cared. She cared more then everyone here in Salt Lake City. Her smile just made you love her. The feeling it spread when she laughed. I didn't let myself believed I was falling for though. I was Keagan "Runt" Reynolds. I asked her out, she said no. She knew what I was up to.

She always knew what I was up to. This job, was going to be...

Interesting.