Status: Active(:

He's My Protector.

Chapter 43

Congrats, Annette, you pushed him away.

My job was finished and now it's ten at night, Kegan's driving me home because it's his job to keep me safe. I can't believe he chose to be my bodyguard instead of being my boyfriend. He chose to be with me for money than be with me for love.

So I'm in the car with Kegan, who is driving me to iHop for dinner, hoping to at least have a conversation with him. It's not working, he hates me, I know he does, it came from Love to Hate in just one stupid misunderstanding.

I could've grabbed him and told him the truth. I could've begged him not to actually chose between us. I could've don't a lot of things, but I don't have the courage. I wish he could just read me and understand what I meant. I wish we could be together, I wish I could be the person Kegan wants me to be.

I looked out of the window next to me and stared at the bright signs in the city, soon the lights were gone being blocked by the park and it's tall trees. It's so dark that the woods scare me more than any other night. The dark scenery causes me to shift my eyes from the window to my hands wishing I had my phone or a super power so I can just snap my fingers and get away from this view.

"I see you don't like the woods." Kegan says, with his professional boring voice. I look at him, but he doesn't turn to look back as I hoped. He doesn't even take a quick glance, he's just staring at the road. While my lame self was staring at him. I take in a light long breath and look out the window that now shows street lights and buildings.

I didn't bother answering, I would just hear his boring bodyguard voice and never get any eye contact. It's stupid to force him to choose. Kegan's a nice guy, he doesn't care about rumors and reputation. I wish I can be the one that he hoped I would be. I ruined him, disappointed him, crushed him. Here I was the girl that he loved for years and now that he gets to know me to be the self centered rich bitch that just lowered his expectations.

The big bright blue sign that say iHop made me feel relived, I don't have to deal with the awkward silence anymore. I hide my smile and quickly get out of the car once Kegan pulls over. After taking in a deep breath and pulling my hair up into a loose bun I follow Kegan into the restaurant.

I spot Kegan running a hand through his hair after he stepped into the restaurant. we both walked to the hostess that looked just about twenty. He smiles at us once he notices we were dining in.

"Table for two?" He asks grabbing two menus and trailed us deep into the restaurant. I was silently hoping for a seat near the exit or a restroom, just in case Kegan and I start to argue again.

The Hostess places the menus onto the tables, and of course we just had to sit in front of each other. Hooray for awkward eye contact. Then the hostess winks at me pulling my seat for me to sit in, once i sat I smiled.

"Thank you," I trailed looking for his name tag, and when I did I smiled wider. "Alex."

Alex runs a hand through his dirty blond hair and laughs.

"Your welcome," Alex looks at my body for a name tag the same way I did, I laughed a bit too loud for my liking and extended my hand to shake him.

"Annette."

"Nice to meet you Annette. I hope you like the seating choice, and if you need me for any other help, I'll be right over there." He points to the entrance. I nod with a smile.

"I hope to talk to you soon." I say sweetly once Alex walks away with a wink. I stare at the menu craving bacon and french toast. Then I found a meal holding french toast, hasbrowns, eggs and bacon. I smile in delight and place my menu down, instantly meeting Kegan's blue eyes.

Now i regret putting the menu down, because this eye contact was intense.

"You need to be careful of who you're talking to." Once Kegan said that I roll my eyes off the contact and take a quick glance at Alex far behind Kegan. Alex looks at me then winks. So I stare at my coffee cup, wishing it was full.

"He's a hostess, he's supposed to be nice."

"Is he supposed to wink at you every time you two make eye contact too?" I snap my eyes to Kegan hoping for something in his eyes that said he didn't like it, that he was jealous but, I saw nothing.

"Why do you care anyways? You're my body guard." I snapped, causing his eyes to soften a bit. Oh so he does have a soul.

"Annette, I-"

"Coffee?" Then she comes along to ruin Kegan not being a bodyguard. I nod my head, and put the coffee closer to her.

"Caf, please." I say politely even though I really want to kill her, The brunette smiled and nod then took a second glance at Kegan.

"That's enough, thanks." I say harshly, pushing her pot of coffee away from my cup. She looks at me shocked, then looks back at Kegan.

"Caf also." Kegan says with a big smile, his stunning smile. I shook my head at my thoughts and picked up the menu to block away my jealousy.

"Thank you so much," Kegan pauses and I figured out he was playing my trick. "Megan." He says brightly/ I twitched to see if he had that same smile, but I just glared at the menu, hoping 'Megan' doesn't fall for his tricks. She giggles happily, and I clench my fingers tighter onto the menu.

"Well, you're very welcome, person I don't know." She jokes, I place the menu down.

"I'm Kegan." Kegan shakes her hand and looks at my quickly, but I just put cream and sugar in my coffee, loudly stirring the coffee making sure the spoon bangs with the cup obnoxiously.

"Well, I'm happy I have you as a costumer, so what will you be having?" She asks, I clack my spoon onto the table and look at her.

"French toast with eggs, make sure their over easy, with hashbrown, crispy, and bacon crispy also." I say quickly before slapping the menu to her

"I-I'm sorry, all I have is French toast and eggs." She stuttered. I take in a deep breath.

"She wants the eggs over easy, Hasbrowns cooked until it's crispy, and the bacon also crispy too." Kegan says slowly, glaring at me. I take in a gulp of my coffee and glare back.

"I'll be having the blueberry stacker's, with ham and scrambled eggs, thank you." Kegan says politely giving her the menu.

"thank you, your order will be here in a short time."

"Hope it will be." I say lowly, tracing my index finger around the rim of my coffee cup, and just stared at the steam rising from the cup. I hear Kegan stirring his coffee up then placed his spoon on the table before I can feel his eyes on me.

Don't look, Annette, Don't look.

The cup was boring me so I caught his gaze.

Shit!

"You didn't have to be mean." Kegan says messing with the salt shaker.

"Well, she wasn't doing her job." I say simply taking a sip of my coffee before finding Alex talking to Megan, both of them looking at us.

"Their talking about us, Megan looks pissed, let's hope she doesn't poison me too." I joke with a small smile.

"If she does I'm pretty sure Alex will help you out." Kegan says with no emotion, not even a joking manor, just a simple statement. I couldn't help but stare at him, annoyed that after all we've been through he's not going to be my friend. He's just going to be my bodyguard.

I take in a deep sigh and prepare for Megan to come over here. Oh, and when she does she places a small plate of syrup then slipped Kegan a small piece of paper then playfully smirked at me.

Kegan smiles at her then slips the paper in his pocket, then looked at me with a confused look.

"Nice to know no body's protecting you from hoes like that." I spit before getting up and walked towards the bathroom.

So he wants to be a hypocrite? Well, right now all I'm getting for sure from here is Alex's number and bacon. Then we're even, once again.
♠ ♠ ♠
I apologize for the late update