Status: Active(:

He's My Protector.

Chapter 59

"Hey, Rey, where's the Doc? I bought him his favorite for lunch." I walked to Rey and kissed his cheek before having him trail to me.

It's been two weeks since the whole....reason I'm here, in the hospital, knowing basically everybody in it. I'm here, everyday. School? I skip lunch and study hall to sneak Kegan a visit and the Doctor a snack. Weekends are mostly all day visits with Kegan, Rey and Dr.Rodriguez.

"Excuse me? Where's my usual?" Rey's hurtful voice calls out from behind me. as I roll my eyes I gesture him to catch up.

"I have ten minutes to get back, I would like to see Kegan." My heels clicked through the hallway. I quickly dodge the gurney headed towards my way and toss Rey a brown paper bag.

"I can give you a ride, the sirens will help."

"I can drive faster though." I argue, sipping my my coffee as we both made it to the elevator.

"How has he been doing with the internal bleeding?"

My voice spoke so much louder than the faint instrumental music playing in the background. Rey's brown eyes looked tired, I can see a five-o-clock shadow coming along nicely onto his face. He reaches into the bag and pulls out bottled water, instantly drinking from it half way down.

"It's lighter, he's healing pretty fast, but he's still on the watch list."
Rey yawns before stuffing his face with a BLT sandwich, hold the T, extra L and B along with Mayo, his favorite.

"Here," I hand him my coffee before we heard the elevator ding. "You need it if your working triple shift today."

"How do you know I'm not working double?" Rey tests before gulping down my coffee then draining it more down with his water.

"I can tell you woke up at three this morning for the first shift. You work triple when you wake up early." My heels clicked loudly into the hall, we both turned a right and into Kegan's room.

"What took you so long?" Dr.Rodriguez asks before eying the other paper bag in my hand. then kissed my cheek.

"I had to stay in for my Spanish test, here." I handed him the paper bag and walked to Kegan, laying next to him on his hospital bed.

"Hey Kegan." I whispered in his ear, after kissing his cheek. I rested my lunch bag onto my lap before pulling out a bread stick.

"Shrimp soup?" Dr.Rodriguez asks hopefully as he pulls out a foam bowl with a clear lid on top of it.

"Your favorite. I also asked for extra shrimp, and noodles. Lemonade as a drink and a cookie for desert." I shrugged as if it wasn't a big deal, but it was. I wrestled an elderly lady from the hospital's cafeteria for the cookie.

"Thank you, today must be a special day huh?"

"Yes it is.." I trailed on a bit for a dramatic effect and pulled out a cup cake from my lunch bag.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" My yell shocked a nurse from the hallway before smiling into the room.
Rey pulled out a candle from his first aid bag and a lighter.

The huge smile on the doctor was priceless, when he saw the cupcake. Placing the bowl down he stood up and grabbed the cupcake from my hand. Rey lit up the candle, and sat back down.

"One, two three." Rey started cue-ing us to sing the Happy Birthday song, of course both of us off tune, but it but a big smile on Doctor R.

My hand laced through Kegan's, as I watched Dr.Rodriguez blow out his candle.

"So, Kegan is doing great with the surgery. The bleeding is slowing down, and his heart rate is becoming back to normal as well." Dr.Rodriguez, I smiled lightly at him and swallowed my food.

"Does that mean he might be pulled out of his coma anytime soon?"

"It's a possibility."

"Have I ever told you that you're the best Doctor anybody could ever have?" My smile widened as I munched on my bread stick.

"Only everyday, it still feels good to hear."

"I heard that Rey saved a life today." Doc says with a light smile.

"You did? You never told me." My legs crossed and i sat up, still holing Kegan's hand. Rey eyed our hands and softly smiled at me.

"It was a little girl, she drowned in the bathtub because nobody was watching her. Right when my partner, Fred was about to call her death time. I revived her one last time and she came back."

Rey might not see it as a big thing, because since he's always working he's saved lives day after day. When I hear these stories, every single one of them, it gives me hope, for Kegan.

"You're a great guy, you know that, right Rey?"

"Uhh, Annette," Rey trailed off to get my attention, he ran his hand through his brown hair before pointing at the clock on Kegan's hospital room wall.

1:37 My next class starts in three minutes.

"Holy shit, Rey, I need your offer." I kissed Kegan's cheek before saying goodbye to him, and took my paper bag with my coffee, standing off the bed then walked to Dr.Rodriguez.

"I hope you liked it, Happy Birthday, See you in an hour Doc." My lips met his cheek and Rey raced me down the stairs.

"The same truck?" I asked as we both ran past the emergency hallway, dodging the gurneys and the nurses.

"Same truck, come on." Rey grabbed my hand and dragged me into the ambulance garage.

We both went into his ambulance truck and slapped on our seat belts. Once Rey clicked the siren on we were into the streets, Passing by lights I drank up my coffee, giving Rey the rest.
He clicked off the siren when we were a block away, and I un did my seat belt.

"Thank you, Rey I owe you another BLT." I leaned in to kiss his cheek, but instead Rey moved his face to meet our lips, He slid his hand through my hair and pressed our lips together.

His lips felt...Like Kegan's, soft and strong.

My eyes closed for a second before I knew what I was doing and I yelped a bit, and pushed us away.

"I-I'm so sorry, I didn't meant to kiss your lips." I mumbled before grabbing my paper bag and trailed out of the car.

"I'm not sorry." My super human ears heard that whisper from him, biting my lip and looking at him, I chose to ignore that comment.

"Pick me up at the same time. If he wakes me up, come and get me." Shutting the door, I ran to my school, keeping my thoughts only towards my chemistry class, nothing else. Not even me possibly cheating on Kegan.
♠ ♠ ♠
Don't like Rey? Comment what you think.