Exodus

Good Night

*Jonah*

The bus had reached a tiny dirt road, wending through a forest. The sky outside was fading into shades of lavenders, violets, and blues and the thickening of the trees all around us cast shadows over everyone. They were all chattering excitedly, all except for Malachi and me. Since the bus had taken off almost three hours ago he had been silent. He just stared out the window, I thought I saw a tear on his cheek in the pale reflection of the glass.

"Sir, Do you know when we'll be there?" someone from the front of the bus asked the driver politely.

" 'Bout an hour, now." he replied, just as he swerved slightly to avoid a sharp rock on the edge of the path.

I pulled a shabby paperback out of my backpack and began reading. Malachi glanced over at me. "The Da Vinci Code?" he asked, eying it with apprehension.

"Yeah, it's a wicked good book. I've read it like six times." Malachi nodded slowly but didn't say anything. I closed the book and looked him in the eye. "Listen, I - I'm sorry..." I wasn't sure exactly what to say. I knew that I had shattered most of his dearest beliefs in a matter of minutes, and I couldn't help but feel incredibly guilty. He nodded curtly but remained silent, turning away again to face the window.

The bus finally arrived at a clearing. The anticipation buzzing around the bus was palpable. The engine shut off and the doors opened. The other boys began to file out and within a minute we were all off the bus, feet on firm ground once again. A few guys waved and thanked the bus driver as he started up the engine again and headed back the way we had come. A few camp counselors, most of them young and looking overly enthusiastic stood in front of us.

"Alright! Welcome to Exodus Bible Camp for Boys!" one of the counselors called out to us. "It's pretty late so we'll just tell you where your assigned cabins are and you can all turn in for the night. Tomorrow morning at eight o'clock we'll convene in the Community Hall," she gestured to a large wooden building behind her.

She introduced herself, "I'm Joanne," and gestured to the other counselors "This is Robert, Stephen, and Susannah." They smiled and waved in turn then began reading off campers' names and cabin numbers. I finally heard my name called after most of the others had walked off to their cabins.

"Jonah Greene, you are in cabin thirteen with Malachi Anderson." Her ever-present smile faltered slightly when she saw me. But it returned as she warmly welcomed Malachi back to the camp. He smiled unenthusiastically and nodded, then turned and followed me along the row of cabins until we reached thirteen. I pulled open the door and held it for him. "Thanks," he murmured.

I followed him inside, feeling the wall for a light switch. A dull light on the ceiling flickered on. I looked around the bare room. Only two beds (that looked more like cots) pushed against opposite walls, and an old, faded wooden dresser against the back wall occupied the space.

"Which bed do you want?" I asked. He shrugged. I slowly moved towards the bed by the left wall and he moved to the one on the right. We began unpacking our bags, backs turned to each other.

"Uh, I'll take the bottom drawer," he said quietly as he walked over to the dresser, carrying his clothes in his arms. "Okay," I said, making my way over to the dresser as well and dumping my clothes in the top drawer. He watched me intently as I struggled with the old wood for a moment to get the drawer closed.

"It's okay," he said. I glanced at him, confused. "Uh I mean, you didn't need to apologize back on the bus," he murmured, eyes on the floor. "You know, you had a point. It's just really weird for me to think about all the things I've been taught since I was, like, two, in such a different way." he explained quietly.

"Yeah, it was a lot to take in..." I muttered apologetically.

"It's really okay," he said, a little smile brightening his features for the first time in hours. I smiled back. He quickly glanced at his watch, "Wow, it's almost ten. I'm gonna go to sleep. So, uh, good night."

" 'Kay. Good night." I said, sitting down on my bed and pulling a tiny flashlight and The Da Vinci Code from my half-unpacked bag on the floor by my bed.

"Do you mind if I turn off the light? I can sleep with it on if that's easier for you."

"No, go ahead. I don't need that much light." I said. He turned off the light, then pulled back his covers in the semi-darkness of the room.

"Good night," he said again as he got into bed.

"G'night."

After an hour or so, I put my book away and crawled under the covers. Sleep came quickly, bringing a series of short dreams. The most vivid one played silent visions of Malachi smiling and talking to me. I shifted in my sleep, a small smile playing on my own lips.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry about my slow updates, kind of stuck in a writer's block phase at the moment.

but... Comments = Love. P-Please?
~aep