Status: Writing

I Swear to God That I Can Keep a Secret

02

I cringed when my make-up sponge came in contact with my newly bruised right eye, staring at myself in the mirror I was finally satisfied with the way it was hidden behind a thick barely noticeable coat of Cover Girl foundation. Walking back into the room I shared with Justin I found him sitting on the bed as if he was waiting for me.

“Hey Babe,” He stated and I couldn’t help but cringe as he patted the space next to him.
Not wanting to upset him anymore then he already was, I walked over and sat beside him with a faked smile.

“Hi Justin,” I forced out as pleasantly as I could.

“When will you be home tonight?” he asked while running his hand up and down my arm causing me to shiver

“I am not sure, I have to take Jordan to the doctors at four, I shouldn’t be any later then six thirty.” I said staring at the wall trying to calm my nerves down.

“Okay then Baby, have a good day.” He said as he kissed me on top of my head and walked out of the room, I let out a breath or relief before I walked into my son’s room and smiled at the sight of him playing on the floor with his blocks, a huge smile adorned his face as he played without a care in the world.

“Hey Buddy.”

“Hi Mommy.”

“Ready to go to daycare?” I said as I scooped him up off the floor.

“Otay Mommy.”

Twenty minutes later I was dropping him off at the center, with a kiss, and a quick “be good” and “see you later,” I left him there to head to my job.

At three fifteen I picked up Jordan and happily drove down the freeway listening to him talk on and on about how he and his friend Sam threw paint at a little girl in their class because they both thought she was pretty.

“And Mommy, she kissed me on my cheek, I told her that was yucky.” He told me with a smile; it was obvious he kind of liked it.

“Aww its cute Sweetie,” I tried encouraging.

“Mommy?”

“Yes Baby?”

“I lobe you.”

“I love you too Punk.”

After his appointment where I relieved to see that he was developing fine and didn’t have anything wrong with him. I hit traffic and spent an extra thirty minutes on the freeway which left me racing home and up the stairs. I carried Jordan to help the process, and found myself glancing at the watch again praying that it was just fast. It was already pushing seven and Justin was going to be pissed beyond belief, I just knew it.

I sighed looking around the apartment seeing no sign of Justin anywhere, I set Jordan down and let out a breath, I didn’t even know I was holding.

“Jordy Mommy wants you to go play in your room until I get dinner done okay Sweetie?”

“Otay Mommy,” he said as he walked back into his small room.

Almost immediately after my son left my sight I found myself rushing back to him, being summoned by his cry of anguish, coming to a stop in his room, looking for him, my eyes landing first on the crying toddler, then on the torn and barely recognizable stuffed purple animal his godmother had given him. I dropped to my knees, pulling him into my lap, rocking him slightly trying to get him to calm down.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments?