Covetousness.

Covetousness.

Bill Compton could feel the love and admiration that was forming in her heart, the heart that brought him life to his silent body. But right now he felt like death was consuming him again when he realised the love wasn't in his direction.

Eric.

Why was he filling her heart, making her blood race in happiness and her stomach flutter? The feeling was so familiar to the time he allowed each other’s blood to brush past their lips and he regained a fraction of his human emotion in the process; now he felt hollowed and emptier than ever. It was worse than he could imagine the true death.

He only had himself to blame; he’d led her into the life of the supernatural and exposed her to the horrors lurking in the shadows. He was her first lover, and he’d opened her eyes to the world out there. He’d basically spoon fed her to Eric by taking her to Fangtasia dressed like vampire bait. He felt his blood twitch at the thought of the dress and the way she smiled when he accepted her request to take her to the vampire club. If he could give up his eternal lifeline to change the events of that night he would.

All along, he relied on the fact that he was in love with her to keep her as his. But love wasn’t enough.

How could he compare to a heart of a thousand years? A millennium of charm on the tip of his tongue; Sookie could hardly be blamed for this. She’s only young, and she’s also human. No matter how hard she tries she won’t ever understand vampires as well as they know themselves. But Eric was callous, malicious and only looking out for his own needs.

Maybe the Viking had finally got what he wanted all along.
♠ ♠ ♠
Set in Dead To The World when Bill is in Peru.
Feedback would be lovely.