‹ Prequel: A Two Sided Coin
Status: Hiatus

Unwanted Inheritance

Chapter Thirteen - The Grey Area

They wandered the streets for hours; neither breached the quiet that surrounded them. Until finally they ran across a victim and Zane knew exactly what creature they were looking for.

It was a young man, lying in a gutter, pale and lifeless. He was still recognizable as the twenty year old he was, yet his face lacked something, it was as if his very vitality was drained from him. Yet his lips were bright red, as if recently kissed. Only one creature he knew of could have done this, one of two creatures that had ever escaped from his grasp or bested him in combat, Melena.

He looked over to see the creature staring at him, with a curious look on its almost human face.

“You have a problem with me?” he growled at it.

It shook its head with a soft chuckle, “No. It just looks as though you’ve met this being before, seen its handiwork. Yet if you have, why is it still alive? Isn’t it your job to kill each and every one of us, monsters who take life?”

“It, it got away. She wasn’t like the others. Melena was different,” he said softly.

It raised both its eyebrows, a look of surprise and sarcasm, “So it has a name?” it asked in shock, “I never knew slayer got to know their victims. Am I next, is this why you didn’t kill me earlier? You need to get to know me first?”

He chose to ignore it, its questions making him unnaturally angry, yet he couldn’t place why. He began to walk away.

“Come on, she must be close.”

He knew it would follow him as he walked off, just as he knew it wouldn’t strike him while his back was turned and as he knew its questions earlier were merely rhetorical, knowing he could give no answer.

Then he turned the corner and found her, closer than he could have ever expected.
She was curled up against the wall, purple veins curling around her face in a grotesque fashion. A battle of madness and sanity a visible war in her eyes. She shivered violently, body vibrating, whether from the cold or from her inner turmoil he couldn’t tell. Right then, even with her kills flowing past his minds eye, he didn’t see a murderer, he saw a victim, a victim of her own past and her own mind.

Then footsteps echoed behind him, light taps on the ground, their noise resounding with the speed of their pace. Before he knew it, the vampire ran past him, fangs extended, rushing to attack.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's the next chapter, I hope you guys like it :) Once again comments are appreciated! And sorry for the cliff hanger :P Though I've been updating fairly rapidly so you shouldn't complain too much ^.^ Thank you for reading to this point! I'm glad you like the story enough to get here! So thank you! You're awesome!