Sequel: Into The Light

Left In The Dark

Chapter 18.

I felt how close she was against me. She was warm and I knew ,for the first time in my life, I would never be able to leave her. She was now in my care ,weather she knew it or not her life was in my hands and I had to take care of her. She carried my secret now and that made all the difference between life and death to me. No one can know what I am or that she knows this about me. No one can now that I lived the first twelve years of my life in a ,literal, cage. No one can find out all of this.

When I landed and placed her safely on the ground I could see the awed look on her face. She turned and looked at me for a minute then threw her arms around me. For a minute I was frozen then I slowly returned the hug. No one ever treated me this way. Mr. Tod barely acknowledged that I was his foster son. I was never hugged before in my life. I guess there truly is a first time for everything.

Wrapped in her arms I rested my head on her shoulder careful not to poke her with my beak or claw her with my talons. She was like glass. I could easily take her life and she wouldn't know what hit her ,but at the same time, I could protect her from the world. I've proved to be the strongest thing they've ever thrown in the ring. I took down the animal kingdom and make the phrase "death from above" a reality without the use of weapons. I've been "silent ,but deadly" and claimed the title "superhuman". I was beyond most expectations and completely unpredictable.

"Aaron, what are you?" Willow whispered to me.

"I'm a genetically altered human/avian hybrid. I was designed to be the perfect solider," I told her keeping my voice quiet," I was a success."