Sequel: Into The Light

Left In The Dark

Chapter 20.

"Are you scared?" I asked because of her silence and when she shook her head, I relaxed.

"No," she said and it felt like a weight was gone from my shoulders.

"Thank you," I said, I couldn't think of anything else to do.

She looked at me as if I just "we brought world peace". She looked at me as if those two words would make everything okay in both our lives. I just smiled as my talons morphed into hands and my face returned to normal. My wings left painfully since I haven't used them in awhile. Their bones collapsed into my back as it began to bleed out lightly. My eyes just closed and I set my jaw. The pain wasn't too bad at first ,but it worsened greatly. I choked out in pain and let myself sink to the ground. My eyes stayed shut until I felt like I needed to open them. When I did Willow was crouched beside me and I breathed out a choked breath.

She went to use her shirt tail to dab up my blood but I caught her hand before she could. Between my teeth I told her to use mine. She seemed very worried ,but did as I told her. She soaked it in the lake then touched it to my back. I fought back the want to cry out in pain hoping she didn't see it. If she did I couldn't tell.

"Everything comes with a cost," I said quietly not sure if I was talking to myself or her.

"I know," she whispered back.

I just nodded and kept my hands in the grass. My palms were bleeding since they were clenched together. She seemed so Innocent. How could I let her see me like this? Wait, why do I even care? Then again, this isn't just about me anymore. It's about us. Me and Willow. I can't do anything to put either of us at risk now. I'm watching out for both of us now.

I looked back at her, she was in her thoughts as she tended to my back. I knew she could just barely see the two bones that branched off my spine where my wings would come from. It was the bones from my wings sinking back in my spine that hurt me so badly. I knew that ,but I did this to myself to show her. If I would've just told her she never would've believed me so I threw out all the stops for this one little thing.