Sequel: Into The Light

Left In The Dark

Chapter 28.

I looked at her for a long time then looked at my feet," I don't want to go back to Tod's house."

"Why not? He seems okay," she said looking at me.

"He is when I'm not in the police station for slinging people across the halls. Now he's asking questions and," I breathed in deep," I don't like questions."

"I bet not," she said looking down," We're screwed up, you know that?"

"You're not too bad," I said quietly.

"Well, you're terrible," she said bluntly as I smiled some.

"It has its perks," I felt my smile slowly fade," and it has its disasters."

"You still didn't tell me everything," she reminded me as I slowly looked at her.

"Do you really want to know?" I asked her.

"I don't know ,but tell me anyways," she said though in my mind I already knew she didn't know what she just asked of me.

I looked back at my feet as I sighed heavily," For as long as I can remember I grew up as part of a place. For awhile they called it the "institution" and that worked when my "class" was smaller ,but then we started asking questions. When they were tired of it they fed us the truth. When we slept they gassed us, what we ate was altered, what we drank was too, we bathed in toxic chemicals. They said now that we knew they would be more up front about it. My DNA reacted well so I was part of a "class" of 12-16-year-olds and a few eighteen-year-olds. I was five then. They told me I was the kind of person that came around once a millennium. They said I was special. For awhile I liked being special. Then I learned what happened to special people like me."

"Wh-What happened?" I knew this was concerning her ,but it was only curiosity that egged her on.

"They put me by myself when I started to react with the avian DNA. First it was just my feet then it was my hands. Slowly my face and finally the bird's signature look. My wings. After it quit hurting I really liked being what I was. In fact....I loved it," I looked up at the sky and felt my eyes darken," Then one day things changed. I was six still. They threw me in the ring with someone I called my friend. He called himself Nemo. He was from Mexico and for a ten-year-old he was really cool. But he was starved, in pain, and he scared me. I put my talon through his throat and he collapsed on top of me. I wore his blood out of his ring. I didn't want to go back to my cage. Things weren't fun anymore."