Sequel: Into The Light

Left In The Dark

Chapter 40.

We ran in silence and when I made sure she wasn't too tired before I kept going until I felt like we needed to stop. We passed up the lake about a mile before she wanted to stop. So we stopped and I fixed her a pallet. I decided I could rest too ,but I didn't want to get the other blanket dirty. I wanted to see how my fever would act first.

I closed my eyes and didn't wake up until the sun was in my eyes. I looked down for Willow and she was still asleep. I smiled and got up, going to find something edible to eat. We couldn't use to dried fruit tell I knew I'd be okay. If we used it now and I got even sicker we'd starve because I couldn't teach Willow what to gather. I had to stay prepared. If it was just me it wouldn't be that bad ,but now it's me and Willow.

I didn't go far since Willow was asleep and not much was in season anyways so I went back to our little camp and dug around the trees. I didn't know what this was ,but I remember eating it before the cops picked me up and brought me to the orphanage. It was edible raw ,but I wanted to try cooking it. Maybe it would have a taste. When Willow woke up and saw me cooking she gave me a weird look.

"What's that?" she asked yawning.

"Some root in a pot," I said bluntly.

"What kind?" she asked.

"No clue," I answered as she looked concerned.

"Could we get poisoned?" she asked quietly.

"Sure," I said focusing on cooking.

"Aaron, you can taste it first," she told me as she patted my back," I'm going to use the bush."

"Good luck with that," I said contently.