Sequel: Into The Light

Left In The Dark

Chapter 48.

I noticed they weren't following me and I crawled up in a tree. I stared through the branches as a flying being carried a collapsed figure in its arms. Then a voice boomed loud through the air.

"Avian project number 132, you know who you are. I have your little pet and if you don't come quietly she'll die here. Come quietly and it'll all be over. She'll go home and you'll come with us. We won't harm a hair on her head. Come on out 132. It's over. You lost," the voice of my creator rang out and I knew then it was over.

I jumped out of the trees opening my wings and gliding to the helicopter. I took in a deep breath and did a loopy-de-loop before swirling through the air. diving down, then gliding up to the helicopter, and landing without a word. That flight was my last taste of freedom. I was glad I kissed Willow back in the forest. I was glad I got to hold her tight. I was happy that she saved my life and she was worth it all. I could never regret meeting her. I was glad I let her fly with me over the lake. I was happy we got to smile at each other. I will treasure every second in my heart for the rest of my days. Maybe the gods will let me see her one last time before I move on the heaven or hell. Even if it's just for a second.

"Good job 132. You've done well. I'm glad to see your wings are growing well with the rest of you," my creator said as he examined me.

"Can I say good bye to her?" I asked quietly gazing into Willow's beautiful eyes knowing I'd never forget them.

"Don't worry 132. You two will be spending allot of time together in the near future," he said as he injected a shot in my throat.

I heard Willow scream my name as I fell to the ground. My vision blurred together as I just looked at her and listened to her voice scream about how it isn't right. She didn't understand that they didn't care about any of that. It wasn't a value to them. They just wanted something to tinker with. My body was their tinker toy. Slowly my hearing faded with my vision and everything was gone. Everything was black.

When I came to I was in the place of my nightmares. I was in the center ring. Slowly bringing myself to my feet I looked around and saw Willow sitting with my creator she was tied up and had a rag over her mouth. I took in a deep breath and looked at my creator. He, my twin, and Willow were the only ones in the audience. This was going to end badly.

"132, it turns out your pet is being very quiet about your history in the small town. I need your assistance on making her talk. Of course you won't either. You're very good at hiding secrets it seems. So just sit tight. If you fight back she will suffer for it," my creator told me as several of his workers walked out of the gates.

They held needles and knives. Willow screamed for me to fight ,but I couldn't bring myself to fight. I just stood in the center ring. I closed my eyes and looked down. I felt helpless, like there was no way out. There wasn't either. It was just me and the pain itself. I had to take care of Willow and right now that meant taking this in silence.

"Can I speak?" I asked without opening my eyes.

"Scream if you must ,but if anyone if harmed in any way I will make this child's life hell," he told me as I nodded.

Willow was screaming for me to do something, telling me she didn't matter. She was keeping her promise to me by not saying anything. Right now she had to know it was time to break that promise.

I felt a knife cut loose my stitches and let me bleed as they took blood samples. They poked at me, examining my skin that tore like water paper. The cut me open poked inside of me and closed me up ,but I didn't make a sound. I wasn't going to hurt their ears. Suddenly I felt a whip slash across my back. No, it wasn't a whip. It was a lizard tail.

I looked at my creator and he shook his head. I not to fight. I was to suffer.