Playing With Fire

Chapter 1

The tinkling sounds of the garden fountain drifted in through the open window, providing a pleasant background noise for the company gathered. Aria took a small bite of the food in front of her and savored the taste; her father had spared no expense for tonight’s dinner. The entire household had been preparing for this night for over a week, the servants staying long past their appointed hours. Although their manor could never be described as dirty, it seemed to radiate cleanliness that night. The Firelord himself was in attendance, deep in conversation with her father. Fruitlessly, Aria had been attempting to discern the meaning of this extravagant meal but in her father’s eyes, children were meant to be seen and not heard so any attempt at cajoling the information out of him resulted in a telling off.
She looked up and caught Zuko’s eye. They both grinned but Aria looked away quickly, not giving him the chance to make her laugh. She wasn’t about to be the one who disrupted her father’s and the Firelord’s conversation; she did want to live to her next birthday after all. Being close neighbors, Zuko and Aria grew up together as good friends. They did everything together and very rarely got into arguments. Just recently they had become more than friends; after months of crushing, Zuko had finally asked her out. Their parents didn’t know; according to General Jirou, boys were an unnecessary distraction while mastering fire bending. A wet sloppy something bounced off the side of Aria’s head and onto the white linen table cloth, disrupting her thoughts. Examining the mystery object she realized it was a piece of the duck being served and looked up in astonishment at Zuko. Seriously? Had he really just thrown food at her during such a serious event? Scowling, she turned her eyes to her father who was several feet down the long table, waiting for him to take a drink or cough; anything that would enable her to throw something back without being caught.
General Jirou, her father, was the highest ranking general in the Fire Nation, known for being just as ruthless as Firelord Ozai. He had directed many successful battles against the Earth Kingdom and had a huge part in bringing down the Southern Water Tribe. His name was uttered in fear in many parts of the world. He ran his family in much the same way he controlled his armies. Disobedience was not tolerated and quickly crushed with an iron fist, anything that marred his reputation was terminated, and every member of the family was expected to be the best. Aria often ran into trouble with the obedience part of his regime. It wasn’t that she didn’t try to behave but she just couldn’t stand being told what to do. Hot headedness ran in the family.
When Jirou turned to gesture to a servant for more wine, Aria seized the moment. Quickly she located the juiciest, sauce covered piece she could find and launched it in the air at Zuko. It hit with satisfying accuracy right between his eyes. Stifling her laughter, she glanced again at the head of the table while Zuko wiped his face off furiously. What she saw made her stomach drop to her feet. Although her father had missed it, Firelord Ozai was watching her; his face expressionless. Deciding to pull it off as if nothing happened, she squashed her embarrassment and smiled at him. A hard thing to do considering he was probably the most intimidating man she’d ever seen. General Jirou seemed to notice the lack of attention in his guest and followed his line of sight; eyes coming to rest on Aria also. His eyes narrowed suspiciously but Aria continued to smile innocently, taking a sip from the glass on the table.
“So… Aria is it? Has she been started in the Royal Fire Academy for Girls?” He asked her father in his sly, drawing voice. Annoyance instantly flared up in Aria; his attitude suggested that she needed to be in a finishing school. Well…proper girls don’t throw food at dinner parties, a small voice in the back of her head reminded her. Aria pushed that thought away and answered before her father could.
“Actually yes, I’ve been attending since I was ten years old. That’d be four years.” Aria said, still smiling but with a barely concealed attitude. Firelord Ozai continued to watch her, his expression now appraising, calculating. Not many people dared have an attitude with the Firelord. Aria caught her father’s eye and came to the conclusion that she had probably just made a huge mistake, judging by his expression.
“Go. Now. Drill until I give you permission to stop.” Jirou spit out.
Aria rose gracefully from her seat and considered a parting comment, but her mother shook her head slightly. Bowing, she took her leave. Following the richly decorated hallways, she made her way to her room for a change of clothes. Briefly she considered the option of ignoring her father and going out to the garden, but quickly discarded that idea. She was in enough trouble as it was. Cool air brushed across her skin when she pulled her dress off and stepped into a pair of short, loose shorts. The only other thing she put on was a sports bra. Normally, she would dress more conservatively but seeing as she would be alone, her main concern was staying cool on such a warm night. Sighing, she headed down to the practice hall to begin her drills.
Aria began warming up, moving fluidly from pose to pose. It was extremely enjoyable, feeling her muscles stretch and contort without strain. After fifteen minutes of this, she was beginning to sweat and ready to start with the drills she was supposed to be doing. Down one side of the gym ran floor to ceiling mirrors, reflecting Aria as she progressed to ever more difficult drills.
------------
After General Jirou apologized for his daughter’s behavior, the dinner continued and they moved on to dessert. He could have smacked Aria across the face for opening her idiot mouth. From a very young age she had a natural talent for fire bending; her fire burned hotter than most, being a bright blue instead of red. General Jirou had cultivated that talent, procuring the best fire bending masters money could buy as her teachers. Now at fourteen, she was a fire bending prodigy and a force to be reckoned with. Shaking his head, he said:
“Should we retire to the drawing room to discuss these matters further?”
“No. I would like the chance to see your daughter’s bending. I’ve been told she is phenomenal.” The Firelord answered.
“Very well, this way Firelord.” General Jirou replied somewhat reluctantly. He wanted nothing more to do with Aria that night. Walking briskly, he led Firelord Ozai to the practice hall and they entered the viewing balcony overlooking the floor. Below, Aria was still going through her drills without putting much effort into it; ignorant of her audience. Firelord Ozai watched with narrowed eyes, he could tell she had perfect form but was being lazy.
“Put her through her paces; Zuko, go down and challenge her to an Agni Kai.” He commanded.
Zuko hesitated but at a sharp look from Ozai, hurried downstairs. When Zuko came up behind Aria, she spun around in surprise, almost hitting him. She understood without asking, strode away from him, and spinning on her heel, bowed to Zuko. He mirrored her actions and attacked.
Aria ran toward him, vaulting over the stream of fire Zuko had sent at her. Flipping through the air, she punched the air several times in succession, fire blasts issuing from her fists with each one. Landing on her feet, she kart wheeled to the side, avoiding his counter attack. Despite their friendship Zuko was getting frustrated; she was playing with him and he was actually trying. Growling, he increased his speed and power, throwing attack after attack at her. Her smile vanished and she started to pay attention. She launched herself into the air, propelling herself up with fire jetting from her feet. Reaching her desired height quickly, she tilted forward and somersaulted toward Zuko. Bright blue flames were projected from her feet, forming a wheel of spinning flame. Zuko managed to dodge out of the way of the main attack but got clipped on the shoulder; he stumbled off balance and fell. Looking up he saw Aria standing across the room, her arms extended up above her head. A rushing noise filled the room and above her head appeared a huge column of fire. She smirked at him and stepped forward, extending one arm out in front of her palm out. The column rushed towards Zuko, horizontally across the ground; the temperature in the room rose dramatically and sweat rolled down both of their faces. Aria contorted her fingers and at the head of the column appeared the head of a dragon, jaws open and bearing down on Zuko. She couldn’t help herself; she was a bit of a show off. At the last minute, she clenched her fist and the column dispersed, inches from Zuko still sprawled on the ground. Aria jogged across the room and grabbed his hand, helping him up. Backing up a few steps she first bowed to Zuko and then bowed to her father and Firelord Ozai on the balcony.
The Firelord continued to stare down at them with his face blank. Aria felt uncomfortable being scrutinized while she was drenched in sweat and almost naked so she shifted her weight from foot to foot. She could tell that her father and the Firelord were talking in hushed voices but she couldn’t hear what was being said. On the balcony, Firelord Ozai slightly turned to General Jirou.
“That was certainly impressive” He remarked. “She is fourteen?”
“Yes, just turned fourteen last month in March. She has been training under the best” General Jirou answered.
“Perhaps…we should consider starting preliminary plans for a union between our families.” Firelord Ozai said thoughtfully, his eyes still fixed on the petite girl below.