Playing With Fire

Chapter 10

Acre after acre of rolling grasslands and densely wooded forests passed underneath the flying bison. Birds erupted from the trees in angry clouds when Appa’s giant shadow passed their nests hidden in the branches. The landscape was occasionally divided by meandering streams where wildlife gathered to slake their thirst. It was a beautiful land but after staring at it for over two days, Aria was utterly bored. She pushed the hair out of her face and turned her back on the scenery below her. Aang lounged up by Appa’s head teasing Momo while Katara and Sokka sat bickering; their usual pastime.
Aria observed the two water tribe kids seated across from her. Her eyes lingered on the fur covered hems and tassels and couldn’t believe that was what passed for fashion with their people. Perhaps, she thought, it was all they could afford; they were, after all, called peasants were they not? Her lip curled slightly in disdain; she couldn’t believe the Fire Nation had yet failed to conquer such a simple people. They saved your life, they can’t be that bad a treacherous voice whispered in the back of her head. Aria shook her head, troubled by her thoughts. Her upbringings had taught her to pity and detest the other nations for their savagery and ignorance but never did any of her superiors mention the kindness and pride the ‘peasants’ possessed. She quickly pushed these thoughts to the back of her mind, feeling a traitor to her country.
“What’s the town we’re stopping at, I’ve forgotten?” Aria asked carelessly.
“Omashu!” Aang answered enthusiastically. “It’s not a town, it’s a huge city!”
“O-ma-shu.” Aria said slowly, sounding out the unfamiliar Earth Kingdom name.
“Haven’t you heard of Omashu before?” Sokka asked quizzically, “I figured everyone from the Earth Kingdom would have heard of it…”
“Yes, I have.” Aria said irritably. “Go put your dress back on, it’s more becoming.” Katara and Aang stifled their laughter while Sokka sputtered with indignation.
“It’s a warriors uniform!” Sokka said defensively.
“For girls.” Aria stated flatly. Sokka crossed his arms tightly and mumbled incoherently. Rolling her eyes, Aria busied herself fixing her windblown hair. She’d need to be more careful in the future; her ignorance of the Earth Kingdom was a shortcoming sure to get her in trouble.
An hour later, Appa touched down at the bottom of a slight hill. The group collectively exhaled a sigh of relief; it seemed like they had been flying forever. Aria shuffled her feet in the snow, wishing it would disappear; snow was just so uncomfortable and not to mention inconvenient. She missed the warm climate of the Fire Nation. The two Water Tribe kids and Aria followed Aang up the hill; the sight that was presented to them made them stop in amazement.
“I present to you the Earth Kingdom city of Omashu!” Aang exclaimed grandly, “I used to come here to visit my friend Bumy.”
Behind him rose a towering city cone like in shape, making it easy to defend. Aria chuckled in amusement at the amazed faces of Katara and Sokka. She had no idea what their town was like but apparently not this.
“We don’t have cities like this in the South Pole.” Katara stated.
“They have buildings that don’t melt!” Sokka said, awestruck.
Aria laughed at Sokka’s comment and asked,
“What did you just say?”
“What? We live in tents…or build things out of ice.” Sokka said defensively. Aria stared at him horrorstruck.
“How do you not freeze to death? You people are crazy.” Aria hated being cold and she couldn’t imagine living as those of the Water Tribe’s lived. She shivered at the thought of camping out in a tent in the middle of a snowy waste land and marched forward, ahead of the others. Down the rocky path she went, Momo gamboling around her feet. Leaves freshly revealed from under melted snow fluttered weakly in a slight breeze. When the others caught up with her Aria laughed heartily.
“What are you doing?” Aria asked, amused. Beside her walked Aang with Appa’s hair covering his head; he walked hunched over and heavily leaning on his staff. It looked as if an old man had walked in from the country side.
“What are you looking at little whippersnapper? I have a mind to bend you over and paddle your backside. I ain’t getting any younger, let’s go.” Aang snapped in a hoarse voice. Aria smiled incredulously and looked at Katara questioningly.
“We figured he should be disguised. The less people who knows he’s the avatar the better.” She answered, shrugging apologetically. Aria chuckled and followed after the disguised boy. Aria felt a warm surge of affection for him; the longer she was around him the more he grew on her. She had always been an only child and she thought this might be what having a playful little brother would be like. What is wrong with me today? She asked herself angrily. There was no way she could begin to care for the avatar and the two water tribe kids; it would ruin everything.
Aria got distinctly uncomfortable when the guard held a bolder over Aang’s head when questioning him. If he so chose, the guard could smash Aang and there would be nothing anyone could do about it. She hated feeling helpless and she shifted from foot to foot, trying to hold in her angst. She visibly relaxed when Aang ran out from under the boulder; at least that danger was passed. Aang’s old man guise passed without flaw; the seemingly stern guard admitted them with only a stern reproach to Sokka for not carrying his ‘grandfathers’ bag.
A deep grating sound filled the air and the walkway vibrated; the kids stared in amazement at the earth bending marvel being presented to them. Three layers of apparently solid rock wall split down the middle and rumbled smoothly back, revealing a huge opening into the city. Aria moved forward numbly with the others; she had had no idea earth benders had so much power. The solid rock gates slammed shut behind them with a bang but they didn’t notice so engulfed with the sight in front of them they were. Tier after tier rose to the sky, crisscrossed by smooth stone chutes; people hustled to and fro, busy with their errands for the day. Aang lost no time at all in explaining the reason for their stopping here. The stone chutes supposed to be for mail delivery were given a whole new meaning in Aang’s eyes.
Aria stared with wide eyes down the almost vertical drop. The four of them were wedged into one of the delivery sledges teetering at the top of a stone chute, about to go over the edge. Adrenaline pulsed through Aria’s body and an insane grin spread across her face. People scurrying down below on the ground seemed to be the size of a pinhead and Aria was eager to feel the wind in her face. With a whoop, Aang pushed off and the sledge plummeted, gaining speed every moment. Aria laughed hysterically as she held on so tightly her knuckles turned white. Behind her, she could hear Katara and Sokka screaming; whether out of terror or jubilation she didn’t know. Aria’s hair broke free from the ribbon binding it and Sokka spluttered as he tried to spit it out of his mouth.
Out of the corner of her eye, Aria saw a transport sledge on course to merge with their track. It took seconds for her to process the danger and she did a double take. The sledge on the adjacent chute was carrying spears pointed forward. Gasping in alarm, Aria clutched at Aang, trying to get his attention. The menacing hum of the cart behind them seemed to get louder and Aria, along with the two water tribe kids, ducked down as low as possible. With what he clearly thought was a stroke of brilliance, Aang rocked the sledge; knocking them off the chute. The sledge free fell through the air, spinning crazily. With a jolt that almost threw Aria out of the sledge, they landed back on track and Aang sent them speeding on their way with a blast of air.
For the next few minutes, they made a path of destruction and chaos throughout the city. They had gained so much speed that not even walls could stop them. Flashes of shocked and panicked faces passed by Aria before being whipped away. With a final bang, they busted through a wall and fell to the ground. They were all thrown from the cart when they collided with the ground and Aria stumbled from the wreckage; apparently they had hit a produce stand. She was stopped, however, from going too far by several city guards who, by the looks on their faces, were none too happy they had just destroyed part of the city.
Aria’s knees protested the long contact with the marble floor of the hall. With the end of the adrenaline rush came the stiffness of limbs and soreness of the bruises she had attained from their wild ride through the city. Sokka, Katara, and Aang knelt to the right of her; all trying to look like innocent children. In front of them rose a colossal throne raised on a dais. The occupant of the throne regarded them severely and Aria stared back defiantly. He was a bent old man in robes of sweeping green. His hat had great sweeping horns that moved out and back. Aria wrinkled her nose; the King had to be a hundred years old, his face and hands were covered in liver spots and white hair stuck out in odd tufts from under his hat.
Abandoning her scrutiny of the King, Aria sneered at the little man accusing them of ruining his cabbage stand. Over his tirade, one of the guards that apprehended them read off a list of their crimes. The King stared impassively at the four kids kneeling in front of him and Aria stared back, trying to read any expression at all that may pass across his face. With the end of the accusations came complete silence; the kids waited with bated breath.
“Throw them-“ The King started. The four looked up sharply with wide eyes. “A feast.”
An hour later, after being allowed to wash up, a thoroughly confused Aria sat at a long table piled high with all kinds of dishes. Beside her, the amount of food Sokka was putting in his mouth was rather revolting. Aria was surprised he could breathe past it all. She ate the food on her plate without enthusiasm; compared to the Fire Nation food rich with spices, Earth Kingdom food tended to taste somewhat bland to her. During the course of the meal, Aria sat quietly, choosing to listen rather than participate in the conversation. One learned more by listening than talking. She couldn’t believe this mad old man ruled the city; his bizarre behavior put Aria on the edge. She had never dealt with someone who acted so utterly insane and therefore had no idea what to expect.
Aria’s eyes followed the chicken leg as it sailed through the air towards Aang. The King had thrown it at Aang, much to Aria’s bemusement. Without thinking, Aang leaned back and caught the leg of meat with a spinning sphere of air. The room became completely still as everyone focused their attention on Aang.
“There’s an airbender in our presence! And not just any airbender, the avatar!” The King exclaimed.
The group of four quickly stood and backed up toward the door. Aria listened to Aang’s frail attempts at wheedling their way out of the predicament and hoped it would be enough. It wasn’t. The guards closed off their escape route and the King stood.
“Tomorrow the avatar will face three deadly challenges, but for now guards will take you to your chamber.”
Without further ado, they were led to a chamber furnished with four beds. After the guards left, the children wasted no time in searching for a way to escape. It was to no avail, Aria threw herself down on one of the beds, soon followed by her companions. They might as well sleep so they’d be well rested for the coming trials. It felt like she had only been sleeping for minutes when Aria was awoken and ushered quickly from the room. Behind her she could hear the sounds of Katara and Sokka being hustled along. They traversed a series of spacious corridors before the guards stopped at the door to the throne room they had been in the previous day. Aria glanced behind her and noticed Katara and Sokka had not been admitted into the room; in fact, the guards had stopped outside the doorway too. She stepped forward to the King sitting at the end of the room and the door swung shut behind her.
The King motioned for her to sit on a small chair that had been placed in front of the throne and she sank warily into it. Beside the King sat a small table with a full tea service on top. The King sat tea in hand, and regarded Aria silently. Aria, determined not to show any anxiety, sat quietly and waited to be addressed. After a few minutes of sitting quietly, the King finally spoke.
“I was wondering, could you please reheat this for me? It’s cold.” The King asked.
“Sure…” Aria answered in confusion. She stood up and poured him a new cup from the still steaming teapot.
“Ah so you’re not so easily tricked as our young airbender friend.” The King chuckled.
“Sir?” Aria asked.
“You are a fire bender.”
“No! I have no bending, I’m just a normal Earth Kingdom-” Aria began.
“You think I haven’t ruled this long without learning my people? You are no Earth Kingdom citizen. Golden catlike eyes, pale skin, no, you are of the Fire Nation. Care for a tart?” The King cackled, offering a plate of colorful pastries. Aria ignored the proffered plate and gaped at him, bewildered. She quickly composed herself and narrowed her eyes.
“If you think I’m a fire bender then why am I not under arrest?” She asked suspiciously.
“Oh I am in no danger from you.” He snorted, “What I really want to know is if Aang is in any danger from you.”
“Me? You’re making him go through three ‘deadly’ tests today. If he’s in danger from anyone right now it’s you.” Aria accused boldly, “Just what exactly does the avatar mean to you?”
The King cackled insanely.
“It seems we are at an impasse. I cannot tell you who the avatar is to me; he will need to find that out on his own.” He said thoughtfully, “If I thought you meant harm to Aang I would push the matter but for now I’ll staunch my curiosity. Now-.”
Abruptly Aria seemed to change tact and said “What makes you think I’m not dangerous to Aang?”
“I have lived a very long time and I know better than probably even you know that you will not betray the avatar.” He answered her certainly.
“You know nothing about me. I will do what I set out to do. I will! I have to!” Aria choked out almost desperately.
“You seem to be trying to convince yourself more than you’re trying to convince me.” The King observed. “Are you sure about yourself? Maybe you should reevaluate your loyalties.”
Aria opened her mouth once as if to argue again but closed it without a word. Instead, she looked down at her hands clasped in her lap; looking thoroughly upset and confused. What did that mad old bugger know anyways? She couldn’t betray Zuko but, finally being honest with herself, she could no longer turn Aang in with a good conscious either. The King didn’t give Aria long to reflect on her life decisions; he raised his hands and clapped them twice. Guards entered the room and both Aria and The King stood.
“Now I think it’s time we begin. You will go join your friends and we’ll see how Aang makes out with my deadly challenges.” He said.
Aria stood and followed the guards out. They didn’t go far; they led Aria to an adjoining room where Sokka and Katara were waiting. Aria took a cursory glance at the two but turned her back to them without a word; she was still upset and unwilling to be drawn into conversation. They didn’t have long to wait and in just a few minutes the guards resumed their stance at the side of each kid and the door opened. Blue, crystal like rings were quickly forced on their fingers while the King informed them these rings would continue to grow until their bodies were incased in it.
At this information, Aria seized the ring and attempted to rip it off, but to no avail. Aang better be able to pass the tests because there was no way she was going to die that way. The group lost no time in getting started and Aria soon found herself in a large underground cavern dominated by a colossal waterfall and covered in stalactites and stalagmites. The crystal had already crept up Aria’s arm and she silently willed Aang to hurry. Aang’s task was to retrieve the key hanging in the waterfall and, surprisingly, after only a couple of failed attempts, Aang succeeded.
During the next task, Aria watched with bated breath as Aang was pursued around an arena by a large beast. She ignored the crystal growing further and further up her body while beside her the King cackled insanely. Aang was supposed to be retrieving the King’s pet flopsy and it was only after Aang realized the animal chasing him was the King’s pet that the test ended. Aria watched in bemusement as the now happy animal crawled up the side of the arena and collapsed on its back, allowing the King to rub its belly.
By the time the group had gathered on the balcony of a large enclosed arena, the crystal had almost completely covered the three’s bodies. The last test was to be a duel; Aang against the opponent of his choice. Aria almost laughed out loud when Aang picked the old king; the boy was clever. Her thoughts soon changed however, when the King threw off his robe. Underneath, the man was extremely muscular and it was soon found out that he was a master earth bender. The duel commenced and Aang tried hard to avoid the boulders being hurled at him. Aria was amazed at the power of the old man below her; the skill with which he launched attack after attack at Aang was impressive. Never before had Aria given any thought to being beat by a bender from another nation but watching the display before her, she was forced to consider the fact that she would have a hard time getting the upper hand with this man. The last test came to an end with a draw between the King and Aang. Aria was unable to hear what passed between the two but her eyes widened when the King fell backwards and disappeared into the ground.
In another moment, the King reappeared on the balcony and Aang leapt up to join them.
“Now, you must answer one question and I will let your friends free.” The King stated.
“That’s not fair!” Aang cried indignantly.
“Oh but what is the point of tests if you don’t learn anything from them?” The King answered logically. “So, tell me, what is my name?”
Aang tried to object again but the King cut across him.
“You better hurry. From the looks of things, your friends don’t have much time.” And with that, he walked away, leaving the kids to ponder his question.
“Ok, do you have any reason to know him Aang?” Aria asked, wincing as the crystal crept up part of her face.
“No…I don’t think so.” Aang answered confusedly.
“I’ve got it!” Sokka yelled triumphantly, “It’s Rocky! Because he bends rocks.”
Aria frowned at him and sighed in exasperation. “Sokka, shut up please.”
“Aang, think. What did you learn from the challenges?” Katara asked.
“Well…I had to think differently than I usually would.” Aang said thoughtfully. “I’ve got it!”
They made their way back to the throne room as best they could with the crystal covering their bodies. The King was waiting for them and looked at Aang expectantly.
“Like you told me before, I have to open my mind to the possibilities.” Aang laughed, running to hug the old man. “I’ve missed you Bumy!”
“I’ve missed you Aang. You haven’t aged at all.” King Bumy answered.
“Um…excuse me, can you help us out?” Sokka complained loudly.
King Bumy did a simple earth bending move and the crystal shattered, scattering around the room.
“So, why couldn’t you just tell us who you are?” Aria asked quizzically.
“Well for one, I just like messing with people. But there was a reason. Aang, in your quest to bring down the Firelord, you’re going to have to learn to think like a mad genius.” King Bumy cackled.
Over the next couple of days, the kids explored the city and restocked on supplies for their journey. King Bumy proved to be a kid at heart by riding the mail service with them. During their brief stay, Aria remained quietly in the background, unsure of where her life was leading her.