Playing With Fire

Chapter 17

The sun was just beginning to shine through the branches overhead when the kids finished packing their supplies and were ready to continue on to the North Pole. Though it was still cool under the wide reaching branches, the air was filled with the promise of a balmy spring day. Appa rooted through the layer of crackly dead leaves, searching out the tender green shoots emerging from the ground. Buckling her pack shut, Aria stood and stretched her arms above her head, glad her sides were healed enough that it didn’t cause unbearable pain. Ready to leave, she checked the fire, extinguishing any still smoking embers.
“Where’s Momo?” Aang asked peering around the clearing they had camped in the previous night. Before anyone made a move to search for the quirky little lemur a high pitched cry was heard further in the forest. Following Aang, the others quickly zeroed in on the frantic chattering and emerged into another, slightly smaller forest clearing.
Aria stared up at the canopy of trees high above; spherical metal traps hung from the branches, swaying slightly in the breeze. Momo’s high, irritating chatter issued from the inside of one of the traps and Aang lost no time in airbending to the top of the trees. Reversing the pulley mechanics, Aang carefully lowered the trap to the ground where Sokka and Katara released Momo. Taking another couple of minutes, Aang released two other trapped, baboon like animals that lost no time in disappearing into the forest.
“These are Fire Nation traps.” Sokka said, inspecting the twisted metal. “I can tell from the metal work.”
“What’s the difference between Fire Nation metal working and the rest of the world?” Aria asked curiously.
“The Fire Nation is actually quite a bit more advanced in their metal working.” Sokka said grudgingly. “We better get going.”
Making their way back to where Appa stood waiting, Katara, Aang, and Aria made to throw their packs into Appa’s saddle, eager to make up lost time.
“No flying this time.” Sokka commanded.
“Why wouldn’t we fly?” Aang asked confusedly.
“Think about it, somehow Zuko and the Fire Nation keep finding us. It’s because they spot Appa, he’s just too noticeable.” Sokka pointed out.
“What? Appa’s not too noticeable.” Katara exclaimed.
“He’s a gigantic flying monster with an arrow on his head! It’s kinda hard to miss him.” Sokka retorted.
“Ok Sokka, how’s this gigantic flying monster going to fit through all these trees if we’re walking? Like you said, he’s gigantic.” Aria asked logically. Appa roared as if to second what Aria said.
“Sokka’s just jealous because he doesn’t have an arrow on his head.” Aang consoled Appa, rubbing his head.
“You all want to fly but my instincts tell me we should play it safe this time and walk.” Sokka maintained stubbornly.
“Didn’t we already talk about how time is of essence? We need to get to the North Pole as fast as possible. Walking isn’t as fast as possible. The comet will be here and we’ll still be busy hiking cross country while the Firelord’s burning down the forest around us.” Aria argued.
“Who made you the boss anyways?” Katara asked.
“I’m not the boss, I’m the leader.” Sokka answered. Aria raised her eyebrows and crossed her arms. Sokka was probably the last person in this group she would follow.
“You’re the leader? But your voice still cracks!” Katara argued incredulously.
“I’m the oldest and I’m a warrior so I’m the leader.” Sokka cried angrily.
“Um…actually you’re not the oldest.” Aria pointed out, “I’m almost seventeen. Does that mean I’m the leader?” She asked sarcastically. Sokka scowled but said nothing.
“If anyone’s the leader it’s Aang.” Katara insisted. “I mean, he is the avatar.”
“Are you kidding? He’s just a goofy kid!” Sokka said bullheadedly.
“He’s right…” Aang piped up.
“Why do boys always think there needs to be a leader?” Katara asked exasperatedly. “I bet you wouldn’t be so bossy if you’d kissed a girl.”
Aria rolled her eyes and shouldered her pack, resigned to walking. Though she agreed with Katara she couldn’t see how kissing a girl would affect anything and discarded the argument as stupid and immature. Though they got along wonderfully, sometimes the age difference between Katara and Aria showed.
“Look, my instincts tell me that we have a better chance of slipping through on foot and a leader has to trust his instincts.” Sokka growled, throwing his arms in the air.
“Ok, we’ll try it your way oh wise leader.” Katara answered, crossing her arms.
“Who knows? Maybe walking will be fun.” Aang said in his usual enthusiastic attitude.
Aria smiled and followed after Sokka’s retreating form. It was almost impossible to stay grumpy around the chipper Aang. She suspected Aang would change his tone after a couple hours of walking and sure enough they had probably only gotten five miles when Aang voiced his opinions loudly.
“Walking sucks!” Aang complained. “How do people go anywhere without a flying bison?”
“I don’t know Aang, why don’t you ask Sokka’s instincts?” Katara asked sarcastically. “They seem to know everything.”
“Haha, very funny.” Sokka answered grumpily. Aria grinned; listening to them argue was pure entertainment. Personally she was glad for the chance to stretch her legs. Though her calves were beginning to ache she surged forward; she suspected that she had gotten lazy in the last couple of weeks and was determined to remedy that.
“I’m tired of carrying these packs.” Aang once again complained.
“Just throw it up on Appa; I doubt he’d notice the extra weight.” Aria responded.
“You know who you should ask to carry them?” Katara asked innocently, “Sokka’s instincts!”
“That’s a great idea!” Aang cried. “Hey, Sokka’s instincts, would you mind?”
“Ok, ok! I get it! Look guys I’m tired too but the important thing is we’re safe from the Fire…Nation…” Sokka had pushed his way through dense growing bushes and stopped dead. Frowning, Aria pushed her way through after Sokka to see what was wrong and her jaw dropped.
Tents were pitched in the clearing they had just barged into and Fire Nation soldiers sat around a campfire, food in hand. They had been talking loud enough that they had failed to hear the noise of an encampment of Fire Nation soldiers and had walked right into their midst. Aria knew the only reason they hadn’t already been captured was that this group of soldiers had been lazy and failed to post a guard; the soldiers looked just as shocked as the kids were. One particular soldier had caught Aria’s attention; his mouth was a comical O of surprise and he failed to notice the soup steadily pouring into his lap from a spoon suspended halfway to his mouth. Both groups stood shocked for a matter of seconds before Sokka broke up the standoff.
“Run!” He shouted, panicked. They cast off their packs and turned but it was too late. One of the soldiers recovered from his surprise and lost no time in setting fire to the bushes surrounding the group, effectively cutting off any escape route.
“We’re cut off!” Sokka cried out.
They wheeled around to face the soldiers who had quickly surrounded them. The soldier’s leering faces were lit up by the fire and seemed oddly demonic. Aria felt her pulse speeding up as it always did at the prospect of a fight and her muscles tensed, preparing for action. Her eyes darted around the closely packed soldiers, estimating the chances of beating them. With only two benders, and one of them a novice, their chances of victory was slim. The clearing was filled with the roaring of the fire and time seemed to stretch out. Seconds seemed to last minutes as the soldiers tightened their circle. Aria opened her mouth to address the soldiers but was struck dumb. It was as if someone had flipped a switch inside of her and she was filled with heat yearning to be let loose. A small pilot flame had been turned into an uncontrollable wild fire; the force of it almost brought her to her knees. Aria’s bending was back! Power flowed through her limbs and she felt as it’d destroy her if it wasn’t released.
“YES!” Aria whooped in jubilation. She jumped into the air shooting great, bright blue, blasts of fire into the air. A huge smile was pasted across her face as she came back down, landing lightly on her feet. Their current predicament had been forgotten in the light of the return of her bending. It was only when she felt the gaze of everyone in the clearing directed at her that she brought herself back to reality though she couldn’t wipe the grin off her face. This fight had just taken a turn for the better. There’s no way we’re losing now. She thought cockily. Katara put a warning hand on Aria’s shoulder and Aria immediately got the message. They could celebrate later; right now they needed to get out of this.
Sokka tore his attention away from Aria and turned back to the threat of the soldiers.
“Look, if you let us pass we promise we won’t hurt you.” Sokka announced boldly.
“What are you doing?” Katara asked urgently.
“Bluffing…” Sokka whispered.
“Ha! Bluffing? We can take them easily. They’ll be lucky if we leave without a fight.” Aria announced conceitedly. She felt unstoppable with the power of her bending and she smiled wolfishly, eager to heat things up with her fire.
“You promise not to hurt us?” A soldier with an eye patch asked incredulously. Anything else the man had to say was cut short by a speeding an arrow. A dull thud announced that the arrow had found its mark in the man’s back and he dropped to the ground in a heap.
“Good work Sokka!” Aang cried, “How’d you do that?”
“He didn’t.” Aria growled, scanning the trees for the unseen marksman.
“Look!” Katara shouted, pointing to a high up branch. Katara had seen what Aria missed; in the trees stood a young, wild looking man holding long, wicked hooks. Somersaulting through the air, the man landed on two of the soldiers, taking them down to the ground. Aria watched in amazement, temporarily forgetting her urge to fight, at the skill the man wielded the hooks with; she had never seen such weapons.
“And down you go.” He said jauntily, flipping two of the soldiers onto their backs with his hooks. He landed close to Aria and the others and winked conceitedly. Aria’s eyes narrowed; though she herself could get a big head occasionally, she despised the trait in others. More wild looking boys dropped from the trees and soon the soldiers were overwhelmed, all without Sokka, Katara, Aang, or Aria moving from their original positions. Aria was unsure of what to do; had they already seen her bending earlier or should she keep it under wraps? A look from Katara clearly warned Aria to refrain from bending. Resentment immediately flared up in her and she clenched her jaw to keep from snapping at Katara. She had spent the last week terrified that she’d never bend again and now, when Aria could finally wield it, she was being told not to.
With only a few soldiers left, Sokka raised his boomerang at a charging soldier but was disappointed by the arrival of the man with the hooks.
“Hey! He was mine!” Sokka said disappointedly.
“Need to be quicker next time.” The guy responded before running off.
Soon the soldiers had either run or were dead and the guy wielding the hooks approached Aria and Katara, a flirtatious smirk playing beneath his black eyes.
“Hey.”
“Hi.” Katara answered, blushing and looking away. Aria turned away and instead watched the other guys searching through the remains of the Fire Nation camp. They seemed to be an odd, ragtag assortment of boys, all different ages. Aang flitted from boy to boy, chatting animatedly. Aria felt a pang of sadness at the sight of all the chaos; she knew it was necessary but the death of her countrymen was hard to swallow.
“So, uh, you girls weren’t hurt right? We can get kinda rough.” He asked condescendingly.
“No, thank you! I didn’t know how we were going to get out of that…” Katara answered breathlessly. Aria raised her eyebrows; apparently Katara fancied him.
“He just took down a whole army almost single handed!” Aang said in amazement.
Aria’s scornful laughter echoed around the forest clearing.
“Army? Ha! That was no army. It was a scouting party consisting of men too old or too crippled to be of any use to the real army.” Aria said disdainfully.
“A scouting party or not, we just saved your butt from them!” He said indignantly, his smirk was quickly replaced by an annoyed scowl.
“Please.” Aria sneered, her lip curling in disgust, “You attacked an enemy with their backs turned, hardly what I’d call bravery. You needn’t have worried yourselves; if you had waited we’d have gotten out fine.”
“Are we going to have a problem?” He demanded, coming within a foot of Aria. Behind him his gang glowered, distracted from their mission of salvaging supplies.
Katara got between them and pushed Aria back, muttering in her ear to be quiet.
“I’m sorry; Aria has been in a mood lately. Lack of food and sleep, you know.” Katara explained hastily.
Aria’s snort of disagreement paired with the expression on her face clearly showed her opinion of what Katara had just said. She wasn’t really sure why she was antagonizing this good looking guy, something about him had just set her off. Perhaps it was because he had just killed several Fire Nation soldiers single handedly or that he had stolen Aria’s thunder when it came to fighting.
“My name is Jet.” He said, reluctantly turning away from Aria. “And these are my freedom fighters. Sneers, Longshot, Smellerbee, The Duke, and Pipsqueak.”
After being introduced, the boys continued salvaging supplies, dispersed around the camp. Sokka stood against a tent looking annoyed and Aria joined him, crossing her arms. It was so frustrating to not be able to bend when she was able to. She wanted to just let loose everything inside and bend until she was exhausted but instead she had to keep it caged away inside. Again.
“Thanks again for saving us Jet, we were lucky you were there.” Katara said, her voice oddly high pitched.
“I should be thanking you. We were waiting to ambush those soldiers all morning, we were just waiting for the right distraction. And then you guys stumbled in.” He said smoothly.
“We were relying on instincts.” Katara said crossly.
“You’ll get yourself killed doing that.” Jet responded.
Aria, who had been listening to the conversation, was worried by the information that they had been watching all morning; had they seen her bending? She walked over and joined in.
“So you’ve been hanging up in the trees all morning?” She asked nonchalantly.
“Yeah, we saw you guys coming from a little ways off.” Jet answered coolly, still annoyed at her.
“So…did it all go off according to plan or….anything unusual happen?” Aria asked lamely. She was unsure how to word the question without sounding weird.
“Yeah, right before we attacked a bunch of blue flame shot off into the sky. I’ve never seen it blue, it was weird.” Jet said, his eyes narrowed suspiciously, “What do you know about it?”
“I saw it to. I was just wondering if maybe since you guys were high up in the trees you saw what happened.” Aria answered. Jet shook his head in the negative.
“Hey Jet! These barrels are filled with blasting jelly.” The Duke yelled from across the campsite.
“That’s a great score.” Jet said happily.
“And these boxes are filled with jelly candies!” Pipsqueak added.
“That’s good too. Let’s not get those mixed up.” Jet answered.
“We’ll take this stuff back to the hideout.” The Duke said.
“You guys have a hideout?” Aang asked eagerly, his eyes shining.
“You want to see it?” Jet asked.
“Yes! We want to see it!” Katara blurted out.
“Do we have time to take a big detour?” Aria asked pointedly, “I mean, we were just talking about how important time is…”
“Aria!” Katara hissed, glaring at her. “We have time!”
Aria just shrugged and followed after the group as they moved out of the campsite and threaded through the trees. They walked for around twenty minutes before Jet halted and announced that they had arrived.
“Where? There’s nothing here.” Sokka said grumpily.
“Hold this.” Jet answered, offering Sokka a rope tied with a loop in the end.
“Why what’s this do?” Sokka demanded. There was no time for a reply as the rope jerked up in the air, bearing Sokka away into the trees canopy screaming.
“Aang?” Jet said, offering another rope.
“I’ll get up on my own.” Aang answered and quickly airbended his way up the huge trees.
“Take hold of me Katara.” Jet said suavely. Katara lost no time in holding tightly to Jet and they ascended together; Aria watched them go, giggling like a little girl. Katara was completely infatuated. Aria’s turn was next. She grabbed the rope and quickly approached the leafy branches. Looking up she saw a small platform circling the trunk of the tree and she emerged through a small opening in the floor.
Standing on the platform, Aria was amazed. The hideout was spread across several trees, big enough to hold at least a dozen more people it seemed. Platforms were built around the trees at different levels, connected by ropes, bridges, and ladders. Tents were pitched on the many platforms and the boys swarmed all over, obviously at home.
“It’s beautiful up here.” Katara said breathlessly.
“It’s beautiful, and more importantly, the Fire Nation can’t find us.” Jet answered.
“They would love to find you, wouldn’t they Jet?” Smellerbee quipped, swinging down onto the platform from a rope.
“It’s not going to happen Smellerbee.” Jet answered confidently. Aria smirked; they didn’t know a Fire Nation citizen had in fact infiltrated and was standing right next to them. She didn’t have any malicious intentions but it still amused her.
“Why would the Fire Nation want to find you?” Katara asked.
“I guess you could say I’ve been causing them some trouble. See, they took over an Earth Kingdom village nearby a few years back.” Jet answered.
“We’ve been ambushing their troops, cutting off their supply lines, anything we can to mess with them.” Pipsqueak said, joining in on the conversation. They walked across a bridge, following Jet.
“One day we’ll drive the Fire Nation out for good and free that town.” Jet exclaimed.
“That’s so brave.” Katara said breathlessly.
“Yeah, nothings as brave as a guy in a tree house.” Sokka said dryly. Aria chuckled appreciably.
“Don’t pay any attention to my brother.” Katara said crossly.
“No problem, he’s probably had it rough too.” Jet said, looking at Aria.
Aria rolled her eyes and kept walking while Katara and Jet stayed behind; let the lovebirds have some alone time.
Later that night the group convened around a huge table with the boys. Food was piled high and the smell of it was amazing. Huge platters of meat and other foods sat tantalizingly and Aria was hard pressed not to shove her mouth full to the point of rudeness.
“Today we struck another blow against the Fire Nation swine!” Jet yelled, standing up and raising his glass. Cheers filled the air as the boys around them roared their approval. “I got a special joy from the look on one soldiers face when The Duke dropped down on his helmet and rode him like a wild hog monkey!”
The Duke stood and acted out what had happed to the great amusement of the others.
“Now the Fire Nation thinks it doesn’t have to worry about a bunch of kids hiding out in the trees. Maybe their right?” Jet said. He paused and let the group boo before resuming. “Or maybe they’re dead wrong!”
Jet came and sat down between Aria and Katara and Aria scooted down, uncomfortable with his pushy closeness.
“Hey Jet, that was a great speech.” Katara praised him.
“Thanks, by the way, I was really impressed with you and Aang. That was some great bending I saw out there today.” Jet said.
“Well, he’s great, he’s the avatar. I could use some more training…” Katara responded, blushing.
“Avatar huh? Very nice.” Jet said. “So I might know a way you and Aang can help in our struggle.”
“Unfortunately we have to leave tonight.” Sokka butted in on the other side of Aria.
“Sokka, you’re kidding me! I needed your help on an important mission tomorrow!” Jet exclaimed disappointedly.
“What mission?” Sokka asked.
“No, it doesn’t matter.” Aria said. “Aang, we don’t have time to stay here. You know as well as I that we need to get to the North Pole as fast as possible.”
“But they need our help!” Aang and Katara argued.
“Yeah…I don’t know, it sounds like this mission might be important…” Sokka said slowly.
“Fine. Who cares if Aang masters the elements as long as this one village gets his help.” Aria answered sarcastically. She stood up and started walking away. “I’m going to bed.”
Slowly she navigated her way back to the tent Jet had given her to use and stepped inside, closing the flap behind her. Still angry, she searched through her pack until she came to the small pot of salve she had bought from the trading village. She stripped off her shirt and tried to inspect her burns in the dark but was unable to see much. Listening hard and hearing no footsteps, she risked a small flame in the palm of her hand and once again inspected her sides. They were healing well and were completely scabbed over; hopefully new skin would begin growing soon. Looking at the burns turned her mind back to that night and she shivered, letting the flame disappear. She wanted to get over it so badly but couldn’t; she could hear his voice in her head and relived it in her dreams. Distractedly, she pulled the small pot towards her and started rubbing the salve over her sides. It had an intense cooling sensation and Aria closed her eyes, trying to relax.
The tent flap was ripped back and Aria jumped to her feet, tipping the pot over and upsetting the salve. Jet walked into the tent, apparently not embarrassed by Aria’s lack of a shirt. She stared at him incredulously.
“Um…can I help you?” Aria asked somewhat hostile.
“I just wanted to talk… So you’ve been a victim of the Fire Nation too. And recently.” Jet said, reaching out and brushing his fingers across one of the burns. Aria flinched and moved back from him, once again feeling uncomfortable.
“I guess you could say that.” She answered, kneeling down and attempting to save what she could of the salve.
“Tell me what happened.” Jet said soothingly, also kneeling down to help.
“No.” Aria said flatly.
“Ok ok. Just trying to be friendly.” Jet said, raising his hands placatingly. “Look, I just know that for some reason we got off on the wrong foot and I’m sorry. For whatever I did, I’m sorry.”
“You’re apologizing but you don’t know why?” Aria asked, frowning at him.
“Yeah, I guess I am.” Jet answered with a smirk. “So how’d you come to be with the avatar and what’s up with the clothes?”
She glanced down at her Fire Nation attire briefly before answering.
“It’s all a long story…and I’m a bit tired.” Aria said, tucking the pot back into her pack and standing up. Unsure of the purpose of this visit and how to handle it she opted to end it.
“Ok, we’ll continue this later then.” Jet promised before disappearing out of the tent.
Aria stood motionless for several seconds, confused as to why he had followed her back from the table. Unable to find a motive, she lay down on her bed roll and was consumed with planning a time to sneak away and bend. Holding it in any longer seemed unbearable and she couldn’t wait; hardly able to sleep.
By the time Aria woke in the morning Jet, Sokka, and the rest of his gang had left on their ‘important’ mission. Losing no time she bolted for the woods and continued running until she could hear nothing but the birds singing and her heart throbbing. After a brief pause to catch her breath, Aria threw herself into her bending. Wildly she spun around the clearing with blue flames dancing around her. There was no thought of discipline or form; she was purely enjoying releasing the wild energy inside. The flames grew in size and intensity until the air itself seemed to crackle with the heat and sweat rolled off Aria. For the first time since being taken aboard Zhao’s ship she felt truly happy.
The light was beginning to soften and turn to dusk before Aria made her way back to the hideout; she was exhausted and ready to fall over but pleased. Seeing Katara and Aang gathered in Sokka’s tent she put off sleep for another moment and directed her steps toward his tent also. Things seemed tense inside and she almost regretted deciding to join them.
“Where have you been all day?” Katara asked distractedly.
“Oh you know the time seemed right for a…bonfire.” Aria answered, smiling devilishly.
“I get it!” Aang cried enthusiastically.
“So what’s going on?” Aria asked, addressing Sokka’s back. He had continued to throw thing violently into his bag, ignoring Aria’s arrival.
“We’re leaving.” Sokka said tersely.
“We can’t leave now with the Fire Nation about to burn down a forest!” Katara exclaimed.
“I’m sorry Katara, Jets very smooth but we can’t trust him.” Sokka answered adamantly.
“You know what I think? I think your jealous that he’s a better warrior and a better leader.” Katara almost yelled back.
“Katara, I’m not jealous of Jet. It’s just that my instincts-“ Sokka began.
“Well my instincts tell me we need to stay here a little longer and help Jet. Come on Aang.” Katara said storming out angrily.
Sokka looked askance of Aria who had stood listening quietly during the argument and she shrugged.
“She’s infatuated.” She said simply. Unable to stand it any longer, she took her leave of Sokka and went in search of her bed roll. Making it to her tent she quickly threw herself down on her bedroll and dropped into sleep almost instantly. What seemed like only minutes later a hand was placed over her mouth and in a panic she reacted. Placing both of her hands on the intruders chest she sent a blast of fire, throwing the person back through the tent’s entrance. Hearing Sokka’s cursing voice Aria jumped to her feet and hurried out to see if he was ok.
“What’d you do that for?” Sokka demanded.
“Why’d you sneak up on me like that?” Aria responded defensively.
“Jet’s up to something. I wanted you to back me up until you about blasted me out of the tree!” Sokka said angrily.
“What’s he up to?” Aria asked.
“I don’t know, that’s why I want to follow. We’ll have to hurry to catch up.” Sokka said, jumping to his feet.
Aria followed after him silently, resigned to a night without sleep.
“Now listen, you are not to blow the dam until I give the signal.” Jet commanded, deadly calm. “If the reservoir isn’t full, the Fire Nation troops could survive.”
Sokka and Aria were crouched behind several thorn bushes; they had followed the group all the way down to a cliff overlooking the nearby village and reservoir. Jet’s group had dragged the barrels of blasting jelly found in the Fire Nation camp along with them. Aria stifled a yawn and fought hard to keep her heavy eyelids from closing. Sokka dug his elbow impatiently into her side; annoyed at her bobbing head.
“If you don’t get your elbow out of my side I’m going to blast you half across this forest.” Aria hissed.
“But what about the people in the town?” The Duke asked. “Won’t they get wiped out too?”
“Look The Duke, that’s the price of ridding this valley of the Fire Nation. Now don’t blow the dam until I give the signal, got it?”
Aria shook her head angrily and made a move to step into the clearing but Sokka grabbed her arm.
“I’m putting a stop to this.” Aria whispered.
“Aria, no! You can’t, you’ll hurt someone!” He hissed quietly. “It’s wrong to Fire bend against people.”
Aria whipped around to face him, furious.
“Sokka, Katara and Aang use their bending against people all the time! Do you think they just get back up again and everything’s ok? You use your boomerang; do you stop and help them up and make sure they’ll be alright?” Aria flung back.
“But you’re a fire bender! If you use your bending you’re no better than them.” Sokka continued stubbornly.
“This is a war. I’m going to use whatever weapon I have to help Aang! You act like firebending is some monstrous, evil thing but it’s not!” Aria retorted.
“It is! People like you have ruined our lives! I lost my mother to you people!” Sokka whispered fiercly, pointing his finger in Aria’s face.
“People like me.” Aria growled; her eyes narrowed dangerously. “I understand the Fire Nation has done horrible, horrible things but you need to understand that not every person or firebender in the Fire Nation are out to get you! The people of the Fire Nation are not evil; they believe what they are told! Yes, there are people like Zhao and the Firelord and my father who are thriving on this war but you need to quit condemning everyone unlucky enough to be born there! Now get your hand out of my face.” Aria hissed, her face red and fists clenched. She had quite forgotten Jet and his Freedom Fighters.
The sound of a stick snapping nearby broke up the tense argument and they spun around. Standing behind them was Pipsqueak and Smellerbee. Aria, still fuming, crossed her arms and looked up at them with an attitude as if they were being incredibly rude listening in on their conversation.
“So you are a Fire Bender.” Pipsqueak said in his deep, gravelly voice, “Jet had his suspicions.”
Sokka made a break for it but Pipsqueak grabbed him by his ponytail and lifted him off his feet.
“Where do you think you’re going ponytail?” Smellerbee said, holding a knife to his throat. Losing no more time, Aria enveloped her hands in flame and stepped forward threateningly.
“Let him go and we’ll all leave without getting hurt.” She said calmly. Sensing someone behind her Aria tried to turn around but it was too late. Swinging a solid branch, Jet hit her exactly where he knew it would take her down; the burns on her side. Pain exploded through the right side of Aria’s body and she dropped to the ground, clenching her teeth and clutching her side. Standing over her, he grabbed her hair and yanked her head back to look at him.
“You thought you’d use your bending on us you filthy Fire Nation whore? How dare you?” He almost screamed. “Drag them out to the clearing.” He commanded marching out of the forest. Aria was hauled to her feet and they were quickly pushed out of the woods into the clearing next to the cliff.
“Sokka, glad you decided to join us.” Jet said smoothly, regaining his calm.
“I heard your plan to destroy the Earth Kingdom town.” Sokka accused, rubbing his shoulder.
“Our plan is to rid the valley of the Fire Nation.” Jet maintained.
“There are people living there Jet! Mothers and fathers and children!” Sokka argued.
“We can’t win without making sacrifices.” Jet said stubbornly.
“You lied to Katara and Aang about the forest fire!” Sokka cried.
“That’s because they don’t understand the demands of war.” Jet answered. “Not like you and I do.”
Aria, recovering from the intense pain, moved to stand up and Pipsqueak quickly put her in a chokehold, just loose enough to allow her to remain conscious.
“I do understand. I understand there’s nothing you won’t do to get what you want.” Sokka said angrily.
“I was hoping you’d have an open mind but I can see you’ve made your choice. I can’t let you warn Katara and Aang. Take him for a walk.” Jet said easily.
“Wait, wait! What about her? What about Aria?” Sokka yelled as he was being dragged away.
“I can’t let her survive this. Another Fire Bender taken out of this world. Don’t worry, the explosion will kill her a lot faster than she deserves.” Jet answered, staring into Aria’s eyes. Aria straightened up as much as she could under Pipsqueak’s iron hold and glared defiantly. “Pipsqueak, take her down and tie her next to the dam. It’s a shame; I thought you were pretty cute when I first saw you.”
“Aria! If you get away get to the village and warn them! We can’t let them be killed!” Sokka yelled as he disappeared into the forest.
“Cheer up Sokka, we’re going to win a great victory against the Fire Nation today.” Jet called after him. “And you, sweetheart, won’t have to worry about much of anything anymore.”
Aria managed to give Jet one last dirty look before being dragged off toward the dam. The idea that Pipsqueak could manage to drag her all the way to and tie her to the dam was laughable but she was highly annoyed nonetheless. Jet had gotten her down because he took a cheap shot, not due to talent and was now stupid enough to entrust her to the giant oaf. Holding the arm that held her against his chest, Aria used it to hold herself up and swung her legs high, kicking Pipsqueak in the head. Grunting, he quickly dropped her and staggered back a few feet. Aria dropped him with a quick succession of fire blasts and ran for it, certain she was faster. Digging deep, she put everything she had into reaching the village on time. Her legs flew over the ground, seemingly barely touching the ground before pushing off again. Exhausted and running on pure adrenaline, Aria staggered to a halt at the village gates and paused to catch her breath. The sound of a large crowd drew her to the town square where people were gathered around someone she couldn’t see. She pushed through the crowd rudely, and made it to the clearing in the center. Sokka was surrounded by Fire Nation soldiers gesturing wildly towards the woods.
“I’m telling you, you have to evacuate the village! Those rebels in the woods are going to explode the dam!” Sokka cried impatiently.
“How do we know you’re not one of them?” One of the soldiers asked.
“Do we need to go through this again?” Sokka asked incredulously.
Aria pushed through the soldiers and addressed the Captain with authority in her voice.
“The village needs to be evacuated now. He’s not lying, I’ve seen the explosives with my own eyes.” Aria said.
“And who are you?” The Captain asked.
“I’m Aria. Daughter of General Jirou and I’m telling you you’re wasting time.” Aria announced grandly.
“You’re General Jirou’s daughter? They’re looking for you everywhere! We’ve got to bring you in!” He said in amazement.
“Fine, I don’t care, I’ll go with you but I’m not going anywhere until you get these people out of here!” Aria argued.
The man seemed to ponder the issue for a moment before giving the order to start the evacuation. In the confusion of people running back and forth grabbing their possessions, Sokka grabbed Aria’s arm and ran before the Fire Nation soldiers noticed their absence and led her to Appa. They flew over the villagers fleeing the valley and headed back to the cliff to find Jet. They crested the cliff and landed Appa near where Aang and Katara were standing. Jet was frozen to a tree and Aria laughed as she walked up to him.
“In a bit of a predicament are we?” Aria asked, patting him on the cheek.
“We warned the villagers of your plan. Just in time.” Sokka said coolly.
“What?” Jet yelled furiously.
“At first they didn’t believe me; the Fire Nation soldiers assumed I was a spy. But Aria came and vouched for me and we got everyone out on time.” Sokka explained.
“Sokka, you fool, we could have freed this valley!” Jet yelled.
“Who would be free? Everyone would be dead.” Sokka pointed out.
“You traitor!”
“No Jet, you became the traitor when you stopped protecting innocent people.” Sokka answered calmly.
“Katara, please, help me.” Jet cried softly.
“Goodbye Jet.” Katara answered softly.
“She’ll kill you all! Don’t trust her, she’s Fire Nation! She’ll betray all of you!” Jet screamed, losing his cool again. Aria waved in response and Appa took off into the air leaving Jet far below. The adrenaline left her system and she was feeling lethargic from the lack of sleep. She closed her eyes and leaned back eager to take a long nap.
“So you’ve got your bending back huh?” Sokka asked interested.
“Yes. Now please, let me sleep. Jet was right; I’m not above killing you all.” Aria joked.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I'm really really sorry for taking so long. I don't even really have a good reason. Just school and work. Also, I've got to say, I've been watching the new Avatar Korra show and it's extremely depressing. Everyone is dead!!! Just made me a bit sad...Anyways, please let me know how this one goes over. Thanks!