Playing With Fire

Chapter 20

The black of night slowly faded into gray, taking the stars with it and bringing the surrounding area into sharper relief; Aria was awake to witness the sun spreading bright tendrils of light through the still dusky sky, the woods coming alive with the sound of birds waking up. Absentmindedly she tossed small twigs into the fire and watched them turn cherry red before burning away into nothing. She had been at this for hours, unable to sleep after the information Aang had shared with her. As they flew away from the abandoned city, while Katara and Sokka lay fast asleep in the saddle, Aria had crawled up to Appa’s head to join Aang, eager to find out who had come to his aid. Zuko. Zuko had saved Aang. Apparently, disguised in a grinning blue mask, Zuko had also infiltrated the fortress and released Aang, fighting their way out and eventually being carried unconscious to safety. Questions swirled in uncontrolled chaos through Aria’s mind; how had he known Aang was captured so quickly? How had he so efficiently found out he was being held at the fortress and released him? Did he do it out of a change of heart or for his own benefit? Perhaps he was turning another leaf and helping the Avatar. I suppose we could be traitors together, she thought with a sort of grim humor.
Beneath her anxiety over Zuko’s involvement at the fortress was a constant stab of embarrassment, making her want to dig herself a deep hole and lay in it for a good long while. Her rescue attempt had been nothing more than ridiculous. Her lack of planning and complete idiotic handling of the situation had benefited no one and made her cheeks burn red with humiliation. She was lucky Zhao had been enraged enough to forget about her; she shuddered to think what could have happened in that fortress. As soon as things started going wrong it was as if she just reacted, no plan or thought, just action; a dangerous game to play. It was time to start rethinking her habit of charging into things with no thought of consequences.
An overly dramatic yawn coming from the lumpy pile of furs that was Sokka caught her attention and she incinerated the rest of the twigs she was holding in her hand, letting the ash tip out of her palm. There was no point in dwelling over things she couldn’t currently change. Maybe once they were safely at the North Pole waiting for Aang to master Waterbending she could turn her attention to the more difficult problems like Zuko.
“Feeling better then?” Aria asked Sokka, seeing him sit up out of the corner of her eye. Sokka seemed to deliberate for a moment, his hair tousled and eyes heavily crusted with sleep.
“Much.” He answered somewhat hoarsely. “Do we have any food?”
“I didn’t make anything if that’s what you’re asking.” Aria answered, frowning slightly.
“Well what’ve you been doing?” Sokka demanded indignantly.
“Not playing your mother…but I’m sure I could find you another toad.” Aria answered jokingly. Reaching for her pack, she pulled out a wrapped package of jerked meat and threw it at him, “There, chew on that.”
With a series of grumpy mutterings, Sokka dug into the meat eagerly, not bothering to make conversation. Within the next few minutes both Katara and Aang also emerged from their bed rolls, stretching and yawning, eager for breakfast. They sat around the fire wolfing down the jerked meat that was the last of the food they had packed along, washing it down with the cold water Katara had drawn from the creek that ran by their campsite. Sokka and Katara’s bickering made it immediately apparent that the two had recovered nicely.
After realizing his fishing line had been commandeered by Aang for a necklace, Sokka charged into the creek they had camped by and attempted to catch a fish with his hands. Aria stood up, brushing the dirt off her pants and watched Sokka floundering in the water; the fish was giving him a run for his money and it was hilarious. Though Sokka’s trials were infinitely amusing to her, she really hoped he got it; fish would be a refreshing change of diet. She glanced behind her at Aang and Katara and had to do a double take. Aang was staring at Katara with big doe eyes, looking completely smitten at her modeling the necklace he had made. How long had that been going on Aria wondered curiously.
“You fancy her.” Aria murmured slyly, low enough that only Aang could hear. Aang jumped as if bitten, flushing a deep crimson and bounding away, busying himself with packing any stray things away on Appa’s back. Sokka continued floundering around in the creek, making kissing noises to mock Aang. Trying to refrain from laughing at Sokka’s crude humor, Aria called out to him, “Sokka, I feel like that fish has earned the right to live, let him go.”
Sokka did drop the fish when a huge roar echoed through the area coming from further down the creek. Aria jumped and turned quickly in the direction of the roar, somewhat apprehensive. Whatever had made that noise sounded like the beginning of trouble. When the roar repeated itself the group scrambled over the rocks, curious to a fault. The source of the roar was a huge beast, standing on its hind legs and pawing the air. Covered in dense brown fur, a wide duck like bill covered the bottom half of its face and a smooth, flattened tail slapped the ground.
“Someone’s being attacked by a platypus bear!” Aang cried out. A man with a content smile on his face stood with his arms behind his back, fluidly dodging the ferocious swipes of the platypus bear’s clawed paws. Aria was starting to wonder about the weirdness she had encountered since leaving the Fire Nation; did the people of the world seriously behave this way? It seemed like every day was some new oddity they had to deal with. The platypus bear roared in frustration, his giant paws hitting nothing but empty air. His beady eyes seemed to bulge in fury and he whirled, slapping at the man with his flat tail.
“Well hello there!” The man called out when he spotted them, “Nice day isn’t it?”
“Make lots of noise!” Aang shouted at him, “He’ll run off!”
“No play dead, he’ll lose interest!” Sokka argued, running closer.
“Oh close one!” The man laughed as the platypus bear swung at him once again.
“Run downhill!” Katara cried out, “Then climb a tree!”
Aria remained silent but watched in amazement as the man slid fluidly back and forth, evading the enraged animal. The other three had no shortage of suggestions that they yelled at the man; apparently, each of them an expert at dealing with Platypus Bears.
“Should we help him?” Aria asked in bewilderment.
“No need it’s going to be fine.” The man answered calmly.
At a particularly close call, Aang jumped between the man and beast, blowing a gust of wind to make the platypus bear pause. The bear reared up to his full height, ready to send Aang flying, when Appa roared and came bowling up behind the platypus bear. His size dwarfed even the platypus bear and, after pausing only long enough to lay an enormous egg, the platypus bear fled.
“Lucky for you we came along.” Sokka stated cockily, picking up the egg.
“Thank you but everything was already under control.” The man answered politely, bowing in their direction. “Not to worry, Aunt Wu predicted I’d have a safe journey.”
“Aunt Who?” Aang asked.
“”No, Aunt Wu; she’s the fortune teller from my village.” He answered solemnly. “Awful nice knowing your future.”
“Wow it must be! That explains why you were so calm!” Katara exclaimed. Aria snorted in contempt; fortune tellers were nothing more than frauds trying to make easy money. Nobody could tell you your destiny.
“There is no way you’re being serious.” Aria said to Katara.
“The fortune teller was wrong! You didn’t have a safe journey, you were almost killed.” Sokka pointed out, holding on to his egg protectively.
“But I wasn’t.” The man persisted, “All right, have a good one! Oh! And Aunt Wu said if I meet any traveler to give them this.” He handed Aang a long, slim package and walked off into the woods.
“Maybe we should go see Aunt Wu and learn our fortunes.” Katara suggested hopefully. “It could be fun.”
“Oh come on,” Sokka complained while Aang ripped open the package, “fortune telling is nonsense.”
“What do you know, an umbrella!” Aang said just as a crack of thunder boomed across the sky and rain let loose.
“That proves it!” Katara cried excitedly. Aria frowned as she squished under the umbrella with Katara and Aang; it was just a coincidence. Anybody could have guessed it would rain; it’s spring time.
“No it doesn’t!” Sokka argued, “You can’t really tell the future.”
“I guess you’re not really getting wet then.” Katara replied pettily.
The two water tribe kids argued the entire walk to Aunt Wu’s village. The walk seemed to take forever with the heavy rain, muddy road, and constant bickering. By the end Sokka looked ready to explode; he was soaking wet and had lost his egg. The rain cleared and a cold breeze picked up just as the village came into sight at the base of an enormous mountain. The village was full of white washed buildings with gold trim, the streets cobbled and kept neat. They passed a conspicuous looking building on the main road of the village; it stood taller than the rest with a huge, perfectly circular door set in the front. A tall, upright man with pure white hair stood sentinel at the door, completely emotionless. As they approached, the man stepped forward and opened the door.
“Aunt Wu is expecting you.” He stated solemnly, in a deep clear voice. Aria stared at him suspiciously as she stepped through the door way. The interior was simply furnished with a low table and cushions lining the wall. The walls and floors were a deep brown wooden paneling.
“My name is Meng.” A small girl with bushy hair waited inside. “And I’m Aunt Wu’s assistant.”
“Can I get you some tea or some of Aunt Wu’s special bean curd puffs?” Meng asked, eyeing Aang appreciatively.
“Just tea.” Aria answered brusquely, barely glancing in her direction. Sometimes Aria caught herself being borderline rude to people in a service position. Growing up in her father’s house had taught her some bad habits; servants existed only for other people’s pleasure, not worthy of notice.
“I’ll try a curd puff.” Sokka answered, always eager for food.
“Just a second.” Meng answered shortly, leaning over Aang. Aria glanced sharply up at her; what a snot. “So what’s your name?”
“Aang.” He answered shortly. Aria had to take a deep breath to keep from saying something mean to the little girl; she would not be like her father. As tortuous as it was to admit, she had a lot of her father in her; perhaps that was why they were always at war with each other. The stubbornness, the willfulness, the smart mouth she took when dealing with some people; Aria certainly didn’t get any of these things from her meek mother.
“That rhymes with Meng!” She gushed excitedly. “And you’ve got some pretty big ears don’t you? Well Aang, it’s very nice to meet you. Very nice.”
“Likewise.” Aang responded politely as Meng retreated to a back room.
“I can’t believe we’re here in the house of nonsense.” Sokka complained, reclining back and splaying his legs out in front of him.
“Try to keep an open mind, Sokka.” Katara responded irritably. “There’s things in this world that just can’t be explained. Wouldn’t it be nice to have some insight into your future?”
“It would be nice to have some bean curd puffs.” Sokka responded stubbornly as Katara scowled.
“And tea…” Aria added. “But in all seriousness, why waste time trying to figure out what might happen? Spend too much time worrying about the future and you don’t get to live out your present. And besides, how could someone possibly know the future? There are so many different choices, not just your own, that make things happen. It just can’t be possible.”
Katara didn’t seem to have an answer to that and they lapsed into silence, broken only when Meng finally showed up with tea and bean curd puffs carefully balanced on a tray. Aria was inhaling the steam rising from her cup of tea when a door panel in the back wall slid open and a dignified looking woman with grey streaked hair, in a yellow robe stepped out; Aunt Wu.
“Welcome young travelers!” Aunt Wu exclaimed, “Now, who’s next? Don’t be shy.”
“I guess that’s me!” Katara gushed excitedly, hopping up when the other three averted their eyes.
Aria, Sokka, and Aang waited in the front room, making small talk and speculating on what Aunt Wu could be telling Katara. Aria took another sip of the bland tea when Aang stood to go to the bathroom and Sokka stuffed his face with the bean curd puffs. After what seemed like ages Aang came back smiling from ear to ear. Aria watched him carefully, wondering what he could have found in the bathroom that had made him so happy but on further speculation, decided she might not want to know. Katara and Aunt Wu followed shortly after Aang.
“Who’s next?” Aunt Wu asked.
“I guess I’ll get this over with.” Sokka said, standing up and stretching.
“Your future is filled with anguish and struggle; most of it self-inflicted.” Aunt Wu stated flatly.
“But you didn’t read my palms or anything!” Sokka complained indignantly.
“I don’t need to; it’s written all over your face.” She responded.
Sokka sat back down with a thump while Aang followed Aunt Wu back. Aria remained silent, allowing Katara to gush about everything Aunt Wu had seen in her future. Most of it seemed to Aria to be generalizations that could happen to anybody. Of course Katara had a high possibility of marrying a powerful bender; they were all over the place! Aang seemed to be gone a bit longer before emerging from the back room with Aunt Wu; Aunt Wu looking vexed and Aang once again beaming.
When the fortuneteller’s expectant eyes fell on Aria, Aria hesitated briefly before climbing to her feet; she had to remind herself there was nothing to be worried about, fortunetelling was nothing more than a cheap parlor trick. As Aunt Wu slid the door shut behind them, Aria surveyed the room carefully. A small fire burned in the middle of the wood paneled floor, surrounded by plush cushions and rich green tapestries were hung about the walls. The room seemed to smell of rich earth and spices. Oddly enough, there were fragments of bone scattered all around the fire. Kneeling by the fire, Aunt Wu motioned for Aria to join her.
“Pick a bone my dear; it is the most reliable way to tell one’s future. As the heat cracks the bone I will be able to tell you what lies ahead.” Aunt Wu stated, gesturing to a bowl filled with bones next to the fire. Gingerly, Aria picked one off the very top and tossed it into the fire.
Aunt Wu stayed silent a long while, her forehead creased in a frown as the studied the bone intently; small, spidery lines were forming along the whole length of the bone. The fire made the room sweltering hot and a bead of sweat ran down the wrinkled face of the older woman. Aria chewed on her bottom lip, feeling vaguely uneasy. At last Aunt Wu sat back, exhaling loudly.
“Well, you have an interesting story to say the least.” She stated blandly. “First, I will say, you must not trust your heart’s current alliance. He yearns for something deeply. He wants it so badly he may sacrifice everything, even his love for you, to get it.”
Aria struggled to keep her face neutral, ignoring the stab of pain that lanced through her chest; what did this stupid old fraud know anyway? Zuko would never purposely hurt her…
“I see you are unhappy with what I have to say.” Aunt Wu observed, “Do you still want me to continue?”
“Yes, of course.” Aria answered automatically, attempting to make light of the situation.
“Sometime, very soon, you will have to choose between continuing on your current path or returning to your roots. Weigh each choice carefully; the consequences have the potential to change this war. Do not be lured by false promises.”
Aria stared stonily back at Aunt Wu, attempting to decipher the cryptic warning.
“I’ll need something more concrete than that to be considered a believer.” Aria said stubbornly, refusing to play into the dramatics.
“I was not finished.” Aunt Wu answered curtly, “By the end of this summer, you will be reunited with your father. I sense nothing but anguish in this meeting…but for who? This meeting very well might spell your doom. Be fearful Aria, daughter of Jirou, your path is filled with traps and hidden dangers; even one false step and you will lose everything.”
Aria stared at her in bewilderment for a moment before standing up and stalking towards the door. How had this woman known who she was? Nobody outside the group and the Fire Nation should know she was Jirou’s daughter.
“Aria!” Aunt Wu’s voice cracked out, sharp and commanding. Aria stopped in the doorway, her shoulders squared and refusing to look back. “If it is any consolation, the future is a place filled with half formed shadows and fog. I see the shadows of the path you have chosen but there are alternatives that I am also able to glimpse. The future is not written in stone. You have potential but only you can decide; will you be a great terror upon this world, as your father has been, or will you help to save it?”
As the group was ushered out of the fortuneteller’s residence, Aria was silent. What did she mean by that parting comment? Aria had already made her decision; she had denied her upbringing and was aiding the avatar. Why was it being brought up as a future issue?
“Now you got to see for yourselves, fortunetelling is just a big stupid hoax!” Sokka declared loudly.
“You’re just saying that because you’re going to make yourself unhappy for the rest of your life.” Katara shot back, “Hey, Aria, what did she tell you?”
“Doom and gloom.” Aria answered sarcastically. The look on her face did not encourage anymore questions and Katara and Sokka resumed arguing.
After several minutes of walking, they came upon a group of people staring at the sky in front of a raised pavilion. None paid any attention to the group as they walked up, curious to know what was going on.
“What’s with the sky?” Katara asked simply.
“We’re waiting for Aunt Wu to come read the clouds.” A man answered dreamily. Aria gave a cursory glance at the sky but saw nothing unusual and resumed her brooding. “To predict the fate of the village.”
“That cloud kind of looks like a fluffy bunny!” Aang said brightly.
“You better hope not. A fluffy bunny forecasts doom and destruction.” The man answered sagely.
“Do you even hear yourself?” Sokka asked irritably.
“The clouds will tell us if the volcano will remain dormant another year or if it will erupt.” A woman chimed in.
Sticking around long enough for Aunt Wu to pronounce the village safe using a guide book with depictions of the clouds, the group then headed to the room they had rented out for the night. After much resistance on Aria and Sokka’s part, they decided to stay a few days and rest. As the days wore on, Katara was increasingly absent as she haunted Aunt Wu’s house on a regular basis. Aang also tended to disappear as he followed around after Katara like a lost puppy or Sokka, looking for advice on girls. Sokka, though still grumbling, explored the town, determined to prove Aunt Wu a fraud. For the most part, Aria remained in their rooms, grudgingly brooding over Aunt Wu’s predictions.
Inexplicably, a feeling of dread increased every day that they stayed; she felt as if any minute word would spread and the Fire Nation would come descending down upon them. The avatar was big news; it was bound to get around as it had on Kyoshi. Then finally, on the fifth day of staying in the village, the reason for Aria’s discomfort became apparent. She was reclining on her sleeping pallet, attempting, perhaps unwisely, to split energy to create lightning, when a thump at the window made her jump up. Earlier she had propped the window shutters open and now a small hawk sat, perched on the sill. To its leg was attached a small, rolled up parchment; a Fire Nation messenger hawk. Aria’s heart sank. With trembling fingers, Aria detached the small scroll; as soon as it was free from the binding, the hawk took off, soaring high up and soon out of sight. It was feasible that word got around that they were here but how did the hawk know which building to go to? Was there a spy here in the village? Aria would never find out. In the light of the setting sun, Aria began to read and with each line her eyes grew wider.

Aria,
I have received several reports detailing your actions from Admiral Zhao. I must say I thought even you above such reprehensible behavior. I will not pretend to know what you hope to accomplish with this ridiculous farce of a rebellion but I am prepared to extend you an offer you’d do well to accept. First, you will surrender yourself to Admiral Zhao at the first opportunity, making every effort to bring the Avatar in with you as I know you are traveling with him. If for some reason you find yourself bested by two water tribe peasants and a boy not yet entered into manhood, you will remain with Admiral Zhao as long as it takes you to inform him of any knowledge you have of the Avatar as well as possibly participating in his capture. Should Admiral Zhao deem any other service from you as necessary, you will do so before returning to the Capital. Once in the Capital, you will maintain the story that you were abducted. You will swear an oath to me as well as the Firelord affirming yourself a loyal Fire Nation Citizen owing fealty to Firelord Ozai. Should you meet these conditions, you will have my mercy and I will welcome you back into the Fire Nation. As I know you are so against it, I will push back your wedding night until the end of this stage of the war during which time you will be at relative liberty to do as you will within the Capital. Finally, what I suspect may sway your decision, should you accept my terms, I will meet with Firelord Ozai to discuss Zuko’s banishment. As you know, my influence with the Firelord is not insignificant, I have already breached the subject with him and he is considering allowing Zuko to return home provided you do your part in delivering the Avatar. You will have no contact with him outside of required formal occasions but you will be able to rest easy with the knowledge that your “lover” is safe at home with honor intact. Can you live with yourself, knowing you held the Princes fate in your hands and you turned your back on him to maintain this childish rebellion? Aria, you are my daughter and therefore cannot be completely stupid, make the right decision. Though you have acted rashly, I am willing to overlook your insolent disobedience this once. Should you deny my offer, and come into my hands by other means, your future will be most bleak. I await your reply by hawk.
Jirou

Aria stared blankly at the letter, a rush of emotions washing across her. The letter was written in Jirou’s own hand; obviously too sensitive an issue to entrust to a steward. Still, it was surprising that he had spared a thought for his wayward daughter. She could almost hear the sneering, sarcastic voice her father had used when saying ‘lover’. Disgusted, she crumpled the letter in her hands and almost incinerated it but hesitated. She smoothed the paper back out and reread the letter. There was no way she could agree to it but…Zuko. Could she hope her father could really sway the Firelord? Turning Aang in was out of the question but maybe she didn’t have to. Though her father seemed to think otherwise, it was all too possible that in a fight, Aria would lose against the others. She would just tell Zhao they were headed somewhere in the Earth Kingdom or something. Suddenly Aria realized she was actually considering it and she balled the paper up again, furious with herself, but instead of destroying it, shoved it into her pack.
Aria jumped up in alarm when the other three burst into the room; she felt absurdly guilty, as is she had been caught doing something wrong. All three had flushed faces, apparently they had ran all the way here.
“Aunt Wu was wrong!” Aang cried out.
“What?” Aria asked, not comprehending at first.
“The volcano is going to erupt!” Sokka butted in. “Let’s go! We have to warn the village!”
Aria looked as if she was going to question them further but when the entire room started shaking around them and a low rumbling noise permeated the air, she instantly shut her mouth and followed them. Outside, the truth of their claims was evident; the volcano belched out great black clouds of smoke, making the bright afternoon turn dusky grey. Not completely ignorant, several of the villagers had gathered in the square; some watching the volcano with concern, most still looking complacent.
“Aunt Wu was wrong!” Sokka shouted at the gathered villagers, several scoffed, amused at Sokka’s claims.
“We know you don’t believe in Aunt Wu.” A woman pointed out.
“If you won’t listen to him, maybe you’ll listen to me.” Katara said, stepping forward, “I want to believe Aunt Wu and her predictions as much as you do but my brother and the Avatar saw the lava with their own eyes!”
“Well I heard Aunt Wu’s prediction with my own ears!” A man answered stubbornly.
“Please listen to us! You are all in danger!” Aang cried out, soaring up to the roof of the nearest building. “We have to get out of here! You can’t rely on Aunt Wu’s prediction! You have to take fate into your own hands!”
As if to support Aang, the ground again rumbled violently making several people lose balance and fall to the ground. Aria steadied herself with a hand on a wall of the house Aang was perched on, barely managing to stay on her feet; the letter was completely on her mind and the present goings on seemed unimportant.
“Look, can your fortunetelling explain that?” Sokka shouted, pointing at the volcano spewing smoke.
“Can your science explain why it rains?” A man asked stubbornly.
“Yes, yes it can!” Sokka screamed, losing his self-control. Despite any effort on Sokka’s part, the villagers were starting to lose interest and soon dispersed back to whatever they had been doing.
“They just won’t listen to reason.” Katara observed disappointedly.
“But they will listen to Aunt Wu!” Aang added. Aria listened without interest as Aang detailed a plan to steal Aunt Wu’s cloud book and bend the clouds to forecast doom.
An hour later, after Aunt Wu had seen doom for the village in the clouds, the villagers were mobilizing to prepare the village for the volcano’s eruption; the grotesque skull shaped cloud Aang and Katara had created with their bending hanging over them all. Trenches were being dug by a combination of earth bending and manpower to divert the lava to the river. Sweat beaded on Aria’s brow as she brought the shovel down into the dark earth again, working mechanically. Though her muscles protested against the manual labor, the work was well suited for the purpose of thinking through her options. It was a task that kept the body busy but allowed the mind to wander.
The letter. The stupid letter. It infuriated her. To her chagrin, her father’s tone was impersonal and almost detached; it was as if he really couldn’t care less if she took his offer or not. She threw another spade full of dirt out of the ditch. She was starting to wonder why Jirou had even bothered fathering a child since apparently he couldn’t bring himself to care beyond what her actions might mean for him. With horror she realized how much the thought hurt and she redoubled her efforts on clearing the ditch. She had thought she had gotten to a point that her father’s actions no longer mattered to her, that he could go die for all she cared because she didn’t need his approval or love; she knew now she was no better than the stupid little girl who used to cry when Jirou ignored her efforts. Aria spluttered and dropped her spade when a huge clump of dirt exploded in her face. Wiping her eyes angrily, she peered around for the culprit, mad enough to spit, and spotted Sokka, not ten feet away.
“What’s wrong with you?” Aria demanded furiously.
“What’s wrong with you?” Sokka retorted, “You didn’t even try to duck! And you’ve been digging in the same spot for at least twenty minutes; we don’t need a hole, we need a ditch.”
Aria glanced down and realized she had been digging a hole; it had to be around two feet deep.
“Get away from me.” Aria said bluntly, stooping to pick up the shovel.
“You better get your head out of wherever you stuck it or you’re going to get yourself hurt.” Sokka stated before stalking off.
Another rumble rocked the earth and the first sight of lava exploded out of the volcano. Aria scrabbled up the side of the ditch, clutching at loose roots to pull herself up. All around the villagers were climbing their way out and Aria began offering her hand, helping them to safety.
“Everyone needs to evacuate!” Aang yelled, several yards off. “We’ll come for you when it’s safe!”
The earth was now in constant motion and Aria felt drunk as she wobbled her way over to where Sokka and Katara were watching the volcano, fear reflecting in their glassy eyes. Great clouds of grey and black ash descended on the village, making it hard to breathe and limiting visibility. Aria pulled her undershirt up over her mouth and nose, trying to take a deep breath. They stood huddled together, the village empty, waiting for the oncoming lava to reach the freshly dug ditches. Anything the lava touched burst instantly into flame as it crept down the mountain, an unstoppable force of nature. As it poured into the ditch, Aria could feel the intense heat hit her face, hotter than anything she had felt in her life. It felt as if the skin on her face was cracking and would soon peel away.
“It’s too much! It’s going to overflow!” Katara yelled in panic.
With another heave, the volcano belched up another wave of the liquid fire; Katara was right. With the two water tribe kids, Aria retreated when small rocks began to rain down around them. Aang alone stood his ground, his jaw set in determination. Screaming out a battle cry worthy of a great warrior, Aang leapt into the air, manipulating the air around him. Grunting again, he let out a huge vortex of wind, so powerful the lava cooled instantly, forming a great wall around half the village.
“Sometimes I forget how powerful a bender that kid is.” Sokka said in awe. Aria nodded slowly, agreeing; that was insane.
It took another day before the village was cleared of ash and rock and the villagers could resume their normal schedules. By the end of that day, the group said their goodbyes and climbed on Appa. Aria was thoroughly tired of the village and fortunetelling. Sitting on Appa and looking at the beautiful wall the lava had formed, Aria decided she didn’t care about anything Aunt Wu had said; she would be responsible for her own destiny.