Playing With Fire

Chapter 22

“This should give us a good idea of what’s around here.” Katara said, peering at a large bulletin board. They had been walking down a wide lane surrounded by a well-lighted, springy forest having landed to give Appa a break. It was early evening and the sun was barely peeking over the line of trees; birds were twittering insanely as if trying to fit as many in as they could before going to ground for the night. After a couple of miles the lane reached an intersection, another dirt road shooting off at a perpendicular angle; both roads were well tended, the weeds kept at bay and the dirt raked even. Sitting in the middle of the intersection was a large four sided bulletin board that Katara was currently examining.
“See if you can find a menu.” Sokka told her, “I’m starving.”
“Is there ever a time you’re not starving?” Aria asked politely.
“I bet we’ll find something to eat here.” Aang said excitedly, “A Fire Nation festival!”
“What?” Aria asked eagerly, her attention caught.
“Fire Nation cultural exhibits, jugglers, benders, magicians.” Aang read off a large, colorful poster.
“We have to go!” Aria cried eagerly. “That would be so much fun!”
“You might want to rethink that.” Sokka said from the other side of the bulletin board.
“Sokka, shut up.” Aria hissed; Fire Nation festivals were so much fun! They had been the highlight of the summer in the Capital and she had spent countless hours with her friends attending them.
“Look at this!” Sokka insisted. The other three shuffled around to the other side to get a look at what Sokka had spotted. Plastered across a third of the board was a wanted poster of Aang, the drawing a good likeness. While the others all fell silent, exchanging looks of concern with each other, Aria laughed.
“This isn’t going to be a problem.” She assured them, “Trust me.”
“It’s a wanted poster; this is bad.” Sokka said, crossing his arms.
“I think we better keep moving.” Katara said cautiously.
“Come on, when’s the last time we’ve had fun?” Aria asked. When the siblings continued to look doubtful, she added on slyly, “You know there’s going to be Fire Bending masters there. I think watching other Fire Benders will really help Aang. I’ve been trying to teach him for almost a week and the biggest success we’ve had is not burning off his eyebrows again.”
“I guess we could go check it out.” Katara said slowly while Aang ran a hand over his newly grown eyebrows.
“What?” Sokka demanded while Aang and Aria did a little jig in the background. “You want to walk into a Fire Nation town while they’re all fired up with all their fire?”
“We’ll wear disguises and if it looks like trouble we’ll leave.” Katara said in a logical voice.
“Yeah, we always leave before we get into trouble.” Sokka answered dryly.
“It’s genius,” Aria assured him, “Who in their right mind would march into the middle of a Fire Nation festival when they have wanted posters pasted everywhere? They’ll never expect him and won’t even be looking for him.”
Before following the others who were preparing their disguises, Aria inspected the other wanted posters on the bulletin. One was for the infamous Jeong Jeong; Aria knew him as being the only man to successfully desert the Fire Nation military. It was the second that caught her attention; identified simply as the Blue Spirit, he was wanted for crimes unspecified against the Fire Nation. Wanted pretty badly if the amount of the reward was anything to go by.
“Where’s your disguise?” Sokka demanded. They were standing on a small hill overlooking the town, finishing the last touches of their disguises before heading in. Aria surveyed their disguises critically, smiling faintly. Sokka and Katara had donned short black cloaks and had pulled the hoods up, hiding their faces. Aang had simply pulled his shirt up over his head.
“Well if that’s your idea of a disguise I’m probably better off without one. But if you must know, this is all I need.” Aria answered, tugging at Zhao’s cloak she had equipped. It was somewhat too big as Zhao was a hulk of a man but she made due.
“How is that disguising you at all?” Sokka asked.
“Really I shouldn’t need to disguise myself at all.” Aria answered, “My entire outfit is Fire Nation. Unfortunately it looks quite worse for wear. Katara’s had to patch my shirt, my pants are threadbare; frankly, I look like a peasant. Zhao spares no expense; this cloak is awesome. And it hides all the bad spots of my clothes.”
“Whatever.” Sokka grumbled. Without further ado, they headed down the hill, treading carefully in the failing sunlight. They passed through the gate of the village without incident and stopped to survey the crowd.
“This is why I said it wouldn’t be a problem.” Aria announced, gesturing at the milling people. “We just need to get some for ourselves.”
Masks of all kind covered the faces of the crowd; some leering, some grinning, all skillfully painted. Some in the crowd were so entirely ambiguous it was unknown whether man or woman was behind the mask. Aria laughed out loud at the looks on the others faces and turned her attention to the festival, unable to decide where she wanted to run first. The smell of the vendor’s food caused people to sniff appreciatively at the air, their mouths salivating and stomachs grumbling. Paper lanterns were strung high over the crowd’s head, creating a warm glow in the evening dusk. Children ran laughing and screaming, weaving through the legs of the adults; for the night they were free to roam. Separated from the crowd by a small wooden stage was a small band playing traditional Fire Nation festival music while down below people danced without a care. Performers worked their way through the crowd; jugglers, dancers, clowns playing innocent pranks, animal handlers with great lizards draped across their shoulders. The air positively thrummed with excitement.
Spotting the Fire Nation outpost building Aria froze, her happy bubble at being among so much Fire Nation culture deflating slightly. She observed it for several seconds, biting her lower lip. Two men stood outside the door, watching the crowd lazily and without interest. The building itself was roughly built; the wooden logs making up the wall unfinished and rough. In a split second decision she strode forward, waving Aang off.
“I’ll be back, you should check out the band!” She called over her shoulder, waving in the general direction of the music.
Talking her way past the watch without much difficulty, Aria strode haughtily into the outpost, her attitude like that of a visiting General.
“I need to be directed to communications.” Aria announced feigning a bored voice.
The small group of soldiers that had been chatting animatedly turned to face her, looking mildly surprised. The man in the very back pulled off his helmet and pushed his way to the front; he was a big brute with a slightly stupid air coming off of him, perhaps only barely out of his teens.
“Are you lost?” He asked, chortling, “This is the Fire Nation outpost. I can direct you to the baked goods stand of the festival if you’d like. I’m sure they could use the help.”
“You can take me to communications and keep your idiotic comments to yourself on the way.” Aria retorted with a sneer worthy of her father.
“And just who do you think you are?” He asked rudely, “I could arrest you right now you know.”
“That’d be the worst decision of your pathetic life.” Aria answered coldly. “Do you know of General Jirou? You should; he’s on the top of the list of the, I’m sure dozens, of people you have to answer to and I’m his daughter. So do it, I dare you, and we’ll see how long it takes for you to end up on the streets begging for a scrap of bread. Now take me to communications or take me to your commanding officer so we can discuss this further.”
Aria’s eyes never wavered from his as she waited for him to work through what she had said. His face had lost all its color and his mouth was gaping like a fish out of water.
“Close your mouth. I’m waiting.” Aria said nastily, her lip curling.
With a clumsy bow the man turned on his heel and walked down the nearest corridor, leaving the others to gawk, speechless, after them. Aria followed silently, fuming at the man’s stupidity. She was about to put herself into the most horrible situation she could imagine; she wasn’t about to put up with the likes of him. The walk was short and soon he held open a door before standing back to wait outside for her.
The room smelled strongly of bird droppings as the walls were lined with perches supporting great messenger hawks, shuffling their wings and peering at the newcomer. In the middle of the room sat a large desk littered with parchment, quills, and sealing wax behind which sat a short portly man who was apparently extremely nearsighted judging by how close his nose was to the parchment he was pursuing. Aria sat down and pulled parchment and a quill towards her and introduced herself as she started writing, ignoring the look of surprise and mild bewilderment.
“The first needs to be sent to General Jirou at the Capital, the second to Admiral Zhao wherever his fleet is; I don’t know. Do it and I’ll see you handsomely rewarded.” Aria said brusquely, rolling up and sealing two scrolls before handing them over. The man eyeballed the scrolls curiously and Aria added severely, “Treat them as urgent and highly confidential.”
“Of course, of course. I’ll send them personally with our best hawks.” The man answered quickly, he had no desire for Jirou’s wrath to come down on his head, “May I offer you a cup of tea?”
“No. Thank you.” Aria answered before standing and heading to the door.
The man behind the desk assured her the letters would reach their destination within days and Aria strode out of the door and found her own way back to the entrance; leaving the idiot to try and catch up. Taking a deep breath and rolling her shoulders, Aria stepped off the threshold of the outpost, the crowd almost immediately engulfing her; now it was time to have fun.
After finding the others, Aria dug through her pocket, pulling out every last coin she had in her possession and moved down the line of stalls, sampling everything. First she bought masks for each of them; for herself choosing an inscrutable red and gold mask. Avoiding a mad clown trying to get her to ride a unicycle, Aria attacked the food vendors; not a single one escaped her attention and she laughed insanely when Sokka couldn’t handle the heat of Fire Flakes. She had not realized how much she had missed Fire Nation food until now; her mouth was in bliss as she shoveled in the rich spices signature to Fire Nation dishes. She was halfway done with a skewer of cowhippo slathered in a spicy red sauce when Katara grabbed her arm excitedly.
“Ooo! Look!” She squealed, pointing at the stage. The musicians had evacuated their position and in their place was a man snapping a chain of fire over his head like a whip.
“Nice, a fire magician!” Aria said, hurrying forward to join the crowd gathered around the stage.
“Is this a regular show in the Fire Nation?” Katara asked curiously.
“Oh yeah.” Aria stated, engrossed in the performance, “They traveled to the Capital to put on shows all the time. You could pick up a lot of cool tricks from them. I figured out how to form a dragon’s head from fire. Took me forever; I watched the guy every day for the week he was performing and then still had to practice for like a month. Hopefully this guy will do it; it’s amazing.”
Leading the others, Aria shouldered her way to the front to watch while the man announced the names of his tricks. The crowd oohed and aahed, Katara and Aang along with them, as he manipulated the fire as if it were nothing more dangerous than smoke. Eyes wide, Aang watched avidly, trying to pick up on how the man was able to control the flames. The man clasped his hands together and the flame vanished with a snap.
“Thank you!” The man yelled out at the applause, “For my next trick I need a volunteer from the audience!”
“Over here!” Grinning mischievously, Aria shoved Katara forward toward the stage.
“Aria-” Katara complained, trying to retreat.
“How about you?” The man asked, grabbing Katara’s hand and lifting her onto the stage. Aria chuckled, ignoring Sokka who had pulled his mask up to glower at her.
“This next trick is called, Taming the Dragon!” The man announced to the crowd as he drew up a chair for Katara to sit in.
“Yes! This is what I was telling you guys about!” Aria squealed.
“You will be my captured princess.” He said loudly to Katara, wrapping a silk sash around her to bind her to the chair. He moved away and began bending, conjuring a great flame dragon that circled around the stage.
“Don’t worry young maiden! I will tame this fiery beast!” He yelled, brandishing a fiery whip at the dragon. As the dragon made another swoop around the stage, the man lassoed it with his whip, and tried to reel it in.
“It’s too strong, I can’t hold it!” The man, pretended fear overtaking his face.
“We’ve got to help her!” Aang cried, lunging forward.
“Aang, no! It’s just a trick!” Aria tried to assure him as Sokka grabbed him to keep him from jumping on the stage.
“The rope, its breaking!” The magician yelled, panic in his voice. He released the rope, freeing the flame dragon which flew for Katara. Aria knew she was in no danger, the man was controlling the flames but apparently Aang did not. Using his bending to fuel his jump, Aang sprang onto the stage and dispersed the flame dragon with a whirlwind of air. Aria and Sokka stood stock still, unsure of what to do; Aang’s mask had slipped off when he jumped and he was now standing on the stage looking out at the crowd. A great roar rose up from the crowd; people jeering and booing at the ruined trick. To the side the magician crossed his arms, looking infuriated. Aria thought they would be fine, be able to smooth the ruffled feathers, until a lone voice rose up over the rest.
“Hey, that kid’s the avatar!”
Immediately Sokka and Aria gained the stage; Sokka untying Katara as quickly as possible while Aria pulled Aang behind her, trying to hide him from view. Heads were turning in their direction, drawn by the man’s shouting. Many people were pulling up their masks, revealing astonished faces while Fire Nation soldiers pushed their way through them, grasping spears and swords, their faces set in determination.
“You are an idiot.” Aria growled to Aang, pushing Aang further from the edge of the stage.
“I think it’s time to go.” Sokka shouted, ripping off his mask.
“Follow me; I can get you out of here!”
The group spun around, locating the source of the voice; a man, his face shrouded in a hood and cloth covering the bottom half, was gesturing frantically to them from behind the stage where the performers could go to relax. Hesitating for only a second, they ran after him as he turned tail and took off, looking back every now and then to make sure they were still following. They pushed through the crowd, knocking people over, not daring to slow down as the sound of footsteps and shouting from the guards was not far behind.
“I’m calling Appa!” Aang shouted, pulling out a small whistle and blowing as hard as he could.
“This way!” The mystery man shouted, turning a sharp corner. Aria groaned and slowed to a slow jog as soon as they turned the corner; the alleyway ended against a great wall and there was nowhere to go. Without turning around, she knew their escape was cut off; the pounding of footsteps and the jeering voices of the soldiers had rounded the corner and had slowed to a walk. The fugitives backed up as far as they could; each calculating how many of the guards they could, as individuals, handle. The numbers weren’t in their favor.
“Appa, down here!” Aang screamed as loudly as he could. Seemingly like magic, Appa swooped down, scattering the Fire Nation troops, and stopped, waiting for the kids to scramble on. Aria glanced doubtfully at the anonymous man when he climbed up with them but said nothing; she’d feel like a jerk if she made the man who tried to save them stay behind, yet, it wouldn’t do to trust someone so shrouded in mystery. As they took off into the air, Aria watched behind to ascertain no fireballs were headed their way when she noticed what had been stored behind the wall that had cut off their escape. Hundreds of fireworks were piled up, waiting for the moment when someone judged it was dark enough to set them off. Well that moment is now, Aria thought with a mischievous grin. Putting her hands together and aiming carefully, she sent off a huge fireball.
“You might want to move a little faster.” Aria called over her shoulder, watching the blue flame shiver and spit as it traveled the distance to the fireworks.
“Why?” Sokka asked. A split second later the flame connected and chaos broke loose. BAM BAM BAM, a quick succession of loud booms resounded as rockets shot into the air, trailing tails of sparkles and flame. Appa roared and flew faster though they were now well out of range. Aria laughed and clapped her hands as several of the rockets began exploding, creating fantastic sunbursts of light and color.
“Why’d you do that?” Sokka demanded, trying to regain the seat he had lost when Appa panicked.
“I couldn’t resist. I couldn’t let you guys experience a Fire Nation festival without fireworks!” Aria answered, full of mirth, “I’d have felt cheated! It’s like a South Pole without ice, an Aang without tattoos, a Katara without hair loopies, a Sokka witho-”
“Okay, okay, I get it.” Sokka interrupted grumpily.
“Then sit back, relax, and watch the show.” Aria answered, “It should be visible for quite a while. You’re welcome.”
“They are pretty aren’t they?” Katara asked, the fireworks reflecting in her wide eyes.
“Yeah,” Aria answered, glancing behind her to see if Aang was watching. “Oh.”
Turning around, she had spotted the stranger sitting calmly talking with Aang, apparently directing him where to land; he had honestly slipped her mind. The man had pulled back his hood and face covering and, realizing she still had her mask on, Aria pulled it off and stuffed it into her pack. The man was dark skinned, looking like he spent a lot of time outdoors. His hair was dark brown and messy, hanging over a large forehead with deep set eyes. Appa angled down to a small forest clearing, directed by Aang, and soon they were sitting around a fire, watching the man intently.
“You’re a Fire Nation soldier.” Aria stated; it was not a question. “I saw your wanted poster on a bulletin board.”
“I was. My name’s Chey.” He answered. “I serve a man. More than a man really; he’s a myth, but he’s real!”
Aria’s eyebrows rose skeptically; he sounded crazy.
“A living legend; Jeong Jeong the Deserter. He was a Fire Nation General, or wait…was he an Admiral?” Chey told them.
“He was a General.” Aria answered.
“How do you know that?” Aang asked curiously.
“My father knew him. He was one of the great Generals who would attend War Councils. The few weeks after he disappeared were insane; my father was furious as were the others. The Firelord most of all.” Aria answered slowly, remembering back, “I was too young to really understand what was going on at the time, still sucked.”
“Yeah! But he couldn’t take the madness anymore! He’s the first person to ever leave the army and live. I’m the second but you don’t get famous for that. Jeong Jeong is a fire bending genius, some think he’s mad but he’s not; he’s enlightened.”
“We need to go see him!” Aang exclaimed, standing up.
“We’re not going to go looking for some crazy fire bender.” Sokka argued.
“He’s not crazy! He’s a genius!” Chey yelled, standing up. This man was entirely too obsessed with Jeong Jeong. “And he’s the perfect person to train the Avatar…that’s why I followed you into the festival.”
“Look, thanks for the help, but we’re leaving for the North Pole in the morning.” Sokka said forcefully, also standing up.
“Sokka, this could be my only chance to meet a Fire Bending Master who’s actually willing to teach me.” Aang argued pathetically.
“It can’t hurt just to talk to him.” Katara agreed.
“I’ve heard he’s an amazing bender.” Aria said, “I’d like the chance to see what he knows.”
Out of nowhere, men holding spears dropped from the branches overhead, completely surrounding them. Aria dropped the leaf she had been pulling apart and moved to stand up but stopped when a spear was thrust under her jawbone. She scowled and raised her hands up in the air; this was the third time people had come out of the trees to surprise them, ridiculous. While the men addressed Chey, Aria had a chance to take them in, observing in silence. They were dressed in colors of the forest; dark greens, browns, grays, and dark yellows.
“Follow us.” One of the men spit out tersely. The spear was removed from her neck and Aria stood slowly, not wanting to look threatening. Calling Appa and Momo to follow them, Aang followed after Chey with Katara, Sokka, and Aria behind; the men still surrounded them, some leading, some bringing up the rear. It was incredibly dark under the trees and several times they had to pick themselves back up after tripping over unseen obstacles.
“Jeong Jeong told you not to look for the Avatar.” The man growled angrily back at Chey.
“Hold on, you know these guys?” Sokka asked, trying to rip his cloak out of a thorn bush.
“Jeong Jeong’s followers. Lin Yee’s an old buddy, right Lin Yee?” Chey answered.
“Shut up. Keep moving.” The man named Lin Yee answered, prodding Chey with a spear.
“Well that’s not comforting.” Aria muttered, helping Katara up from the ground; she had just tripped over an incredibly snarly root. Within a few minutes the trees began thinning out and they emerged out onto a sloping riverbank dotted by several small, wooden huts. They descended the small downhill grade and walked among the huts, stopping in front of the largest, sitting directly next to the river.
“Go on; he sees only you.” Lin Yee commanded, shoving Chey forward.
“Oh that’s okay, we can chat later.” Chey answered, backing up again.
“Is that where Jeong Jeong is?” Aang asked eagerly, pointing at the large hut. “I need to talk to him right away.”
“No, you wait here.” Lin Yee answered before turning back to Chey. “Go now.”
When Chey disappeared into the hut, Lin Yee directed the kids back up the hill and to another hut. There was no door, only a heavy cloth curtain and when Aria ducked inside and let the curtain fall back it was pitch black. When her eyes finally adjusted she settled down on the dirt floor, there being no furnishings. They talked late into the night; Aang and Aria excited to meet the Fire Bending Master, Katara seemingly interested and Sokka skeptical. It was the early hours of the morning when they finally drifted off, uncomfortable on the hard dirt floor.
---------------
Several fires were still burning on the rooftops of the buildings, souvenir from the fireworks being set off entirely too close to the wood and straw roofs, when he arrived. His boots, and those of his troops, crunched over the trash of festival goers. Stragglers from the Festival scurried out of their way, eager to reach their homes. The town was in complete chaos as Fire Nation soldiers scrambled to put out fires and restore order.
“So the Avatar was here and you let him slip away.” Zhao stated coldly when the Commander came hustling out of the Fire Nation Post to greet him.
“Yes sir.” The man answered cautiously, his eyes wide.
“Which way did they go?” Zhao demanded, anger lacing every syllable.
“They headed into the forest; up the river I suspect.” The man said.
“Ready the river boats; we’re going after the Avatar.” Zhao commanded his troops. He turned to leave when another man came bolting out of the Command Post.
“Sir! Admiral Zhao!” The little man puffed, waving a scroll in the air as he ran.
Zhao turned, radiating impatience and contempt. He folded his arms and clenched his jaw when the man needed a minute to catch his breath.
“Sir, I’ve got…a letter…” He puffed, holding out the sealed scroll, “Didn’t get a chance…to send it yet…the festival...was chaos.”
Zhao snatched it out of his hand and broke the seal, reading it quickly. The only sign of shock he allowed to show on his face was a slight widening of his eyes and his eyebrows moving up toward his hairline; so Aria was actually going to listen for once in her fool life. Zhao and Jirou had been corresponding on the topic but Zhao, and Jirou for that matter, had never thought she would agree. It had been set up simply to get a general location on her and the Avatar; word had reached them the Avatar was in a small Earth Kingdom village and Jirou had acted immediately, sending out a hawk to both Aria and Zhao. If they could get her corresponding, and they knew she would eventually as her mouth was too big for her own good, they could use the trail of letters to predict their destination and be waiting for them.
“Some girl claiming to be General Jirou’s daughter. I knew there was no way.” The man stated pompously, having finally caught his breath fully. Apparently he had not noticed the storm cloud rolling across Zhao’s face as he kept talking, “Still, I figured I’d better pass it on. There is one addressed to General Jirou as well.”
“Let me see if I understand you. There was an alert issued to every Fire Nation Command in the Earth Kingdom stating she was abducted by the Avatar and any means necessary should be taken to get her back. The Avatar was here, at this festival, and you seem to think she was lying?” Zhao asked in a dangerously calm voice. “She was pleading for help in this letter and you let her get carried off by the Avatar again.”
The man’s face was ghastly to behold; he began making stammering sounds as if he couldn’t breathe.
“Listen carefully; your last act as Postmaster will be to send that letter to General Jirou and add a personal note addressing why his daughter is still missing! After, you will report to your quarters where you remain under guard. When I return I’m going to deal with you further and every other incompetent fool who let the Avatar take off with my betrothed again! Go!” Zhao all but shouted. The man jumped as if stung and took off, Zhao’s cold eyes following him.
-------
“What happened?”
Aang’s high, loud voice woke Aria instantly and she sat up, staring around wildly. His head hung in defeat, Chey had entered the hut and stood right inside the doorway. Sokka and Katara were also stirring, peering through the dark to look at him.
“Can I see Jeong Jeong now?” Aang continued, standing up eagerly as if about to charge off right then to find him.
“He won’t see you. He’s very angry I brought you here.” Chey answered, sliding down the wall to sit with his arms wrapped around his knees. “He wants you to leave immediately.”
“Finally, let’s hit the road.” Sokka said, suppressing a yawn.
“Why won’t he see me?” Aang asked, sounding hurt.
“He says you’re not ready. You haven’t mastered waterbending or earthbending yet.” Chey said quietly.
“Wait, how does he know that?” Aang asked.
“He saw the way you walked into camp. He can tell.” Chey said mysteriously.
“Are you kidding me?” Aria asked incredulously.
“I’m going in anyway.” Aang exclaimed determinedly and without another word being said darted out of the hut. Though uninvited, Aria stood and followed until they reached Jeong Jeong’s hut where she sat down outside to wait; if Jeong Jeong proved to be agreeable, she wanted to learn from him as well. As she waited the sky faded to gray and the air took on that particular feeling signature of the dawn right before the sun makes its grand entrance. It seemed an eternity before Aang emerged from the hut, followed closely by the man Aria recognized from the wanted poster. Shaggy white hair framed a sculpted face with sharply slanted eyes and a severe mouth lined with a long goatee and thin mustache. Two lividly pink scars ran parallel to each other down the right side of his face, pulling the corner of his eye slightly down and puckering the skin. Aria sprang to her feet and bowed.
“General Jeong Jeong.”
“I am no General.” Jeong Jeong answered severely, surveying her impassively.
“I apologize. Please, I just want the chance to learn from you too; you’re a legend.” Aria pleaded.
Jeong Jeong seemed less than impressed by her plea but nodded anyway as if seriously unconcerned about anything she did. Without a word, he spun on his heel and walked off, gesturing for them to follow. Aria walked sedately after him, hiding her excitement, trying to prove she wasn’t a waste of time.
“Horse stance.” Jeong Jeong commanded, watching the two standing beside the river. Aria immediately spread her legs and settled down as low as she could, her thighs stretching almost painfully. Beside her Aang followed suit. Addressing Aang he said, “Widen your stance.”
Aang scuffled his feet out further but apparently not enough:
“Wider!” Jeong Jeong ordered, “Now bend your knees more and concentrate.”
“Good.” Jeong Jeong stated when they complied before turning and walking away.
“Wait, what do I do now?” Aang called after him.
“Silence! Talking is not concentrating. Look at your friend, is she talking?” Jeong Jeong answered irritably.
“But what am I concentrating on?” Aang asked.
“Feel the heat of the sun, it is the greatest source of fire; it is in complete balance with nature.” Jeong Jeong answered cryptically.
“So when do I get to make some fire?” Aang asked. Aria wished he would shut up.
“Concentrate!” Jeong Jeong demanded before continuing to walk off. Aria was irritated but said nothing; she had done this when she was a little girl, she was capable of so much more. Perhaps Jeong Jeong didn’t know what she was capable of…maybe she should talk to him about it…It seemed like hours before Jeong Jeong came back; Aria’s thigh muscles were burning and she was desperately bored. It was with incredible relief that she followed him and Aang up a huge hill ending in a cliff for the second lesson.
“Are we coming up here so I don’t burn anything with my fireblasts?” Aang asked eagerly.
“No fire yet.” Jeong Jeong answered tersely. He must only mean Aang, Aria thought hopefully; there was no way she wasn’t going to be allowed to fire bend. “Power in firebending comes from the breath. That is why you must master proper breath control. Assume your stance. Now inhale through the nose and exhale through the mouth. Without talking. Good, keep going.”
“What do you want me to do?” Aria asked when Jeong Jeong turned to leave.
“You heard me.” Jeong Jeong answered without turning around.
“I’m better than that! I can do so much more! I learned to master my breathing years ago; I’m not that far off from being considered a master!” Aria burst out, irritated at his lack of compromise.
“You are lazy and have no discipline.” Jeong Jeong said, spinning around, “There has been nobody to correct you nor anybody to challenge your full potential so you have grown complacent with mediocrity. It has been good enough for the people you’ve been fighting. Were you to fight a real firebending master right now, you would be destroyed. You take risks and cut corners that any experienced Fire Bender would see through and roast you alive. And above all you have gotten arrogant. I’ve never seen such sloppy form from someone who claims to be great. Perhaps you were as good as you think you are when still in the Capital drilling everyday but you have slipped. Without proper care, a sword will go to rust. It is the same with bending. If you do not hone it every chance you get, you will get beat. So go; if you think you are above this, leave. ”
Aria’s jaw jutted out and her face became quite mulish in its expression. She had never had a Firebending master say she was anything less than amazing and she was getting infuriated. When had he even seen her bend to make those critiques? And she had never claimed to be great…This was just ridiculous.
“You can take that stubborn expression off your face.” Jeong Jeong continued when Aria said nothing, “Firebending is about discipline, if you cannot discipline yourself even to listen to your teacher how can you ever be great? I cannot teach you if you’re not willing to learn. So decide; you are wasting my time.”
After a pause of only a few seconds, Aria bowed and without a word resumed her stance with Aang, still fuming. What was that about? She wasn’t arrogant at all…was she? And there was no way she’d get beat by any fire bending master; she could list off plenty of people she was sure of beating… When she next looked around Jeong Jeong was gone.
“This is dumb.” Aria muttered to herself.
“What?” Aang asked curiously.
“Nothing, just breathe.” Aria answered grumpily.
Again hours passed and still Jeong Jeong didn’t make an appearance. Though still daylight, the sun was beginning to descend and Aang was getting fidgety. Aria’s anger was dispersing though the things Jeong Jeong had said still stung; she’d stand up here breathing until her legs fell off if she had to to prove she was disciplined. His short attention span running out of patience, Aang jumped up out of the horse stance, looking determined.
“I’m going to go talk to him!” Aang announced.
“I wouldn’t.” Aria answered.
“Why not?” Aang demanded.
“You saw how well that went for me.” Aria said.
“He’s got to listen to me, I’m the Avatar!” Aang insisted, “Are you coming?”
“No!” Aria said simply.
“Why not?” Aang whined.
“Because I’m not getting in trouble again.” Aria maintained stubbornly.
“Just listen; if we don’t convince him to actually teach me to control fire you’re going to have to do it and you hate trying to teach me.” Aang said calmly.
“Because you don’t listen; this is a great example!” Aria argued.
“Aria…” Aang whined.
“Ugh…fine.” Aria answered, standing up straight, “I’m going to be so mad if we get yelled at.”
They reached Jeong Jeong’s hut within minutes but hovered outside for several seconds; neither willing to admit that they were nervous. Aang entered first with Aria close behind, irritated that she let Aang talk her into coming at all. The inside of the hut was lit by several tallow candles, the light they threw off wavering and dull.
“What are you doing here?” Jeong Jeong demanded angrily, “I did not tell you to stop!”
“We’ve been breathing for hours!” Aang cried out.
“You want to stop breathing?” Jeong Jeong asked sarcastically. Aria frowned, starting to realize Jeong Jeong was far more clever than any fire bending master she had yet trained under and really starting to regret being there.
“I want you to stop wasting my time!” Aang burst out. “I already know how to squat and breathe and feel the sun! I want to know how to shoot fire out of my fingertips!”
“I had a pupil once who had no interest in learning discipline. He was only concerned with the power of fire, how he could use it to destroy his opponents and wipe out obstacles in his path. But fire is a horrible burden to bear, its nature is to consume and without control, destroys everything around it. Learn restraint, or risk destroying yourself and everything you love.” Jeong Jeong said solemnly without looking at either of them. Without a word Aang turned and left the hut but Aria took a step forward.
“Master, I’m-I’m sorry for disobeying you and arguing.” Aria said humbly.
“You still have the hotheadedness that comes with youth but you must learn to control it.” Jeong Jeong stated, “You have great potential, cultivate it and do not let it grow wild.”
“Who was the pupil? The one who wouldn’t learn discipline…” Aria asked cautiously, scared she was overstepping boundaries.
“He once had great potential, like you; keep that in mind. He has used his power to rise high in the Fire Nation navy. You’d do well to avoid him. Now go.” Jeong Jeong answered cryptically. Aria wanted dearly to ask the name of the man but instead turned and strode out of the hut, joining Aang in sitting by the riverbank. Neither spoke, each absorbed in their own thoughts. The sky was turning a pretty orange with the setting of the sun and much of the heat of the day was disappearing before Jeong Jeong emerged once more.
“I thought about what you said.” Aang said solemnly, “I promise I’ll be more patient.”
Jeong Jeong surveyed him impassively for several moments, his hands clasped behind his back, before answering him.
“We are going to work with fire now.” Jeong Jeong stated. Without looking, he snatched a leaf out of the air, burning a hole straight through the middle of it. He handed the leaf to Aang and created another one, handing this one to Aria, “Concentrate on fire. I want you to keep the flame from reaching the edges of the leaf for as long as you can.”
“Master!” One of the spear carrying men from the previous night skidded to a stop in front of Jeong Jeong, looking upset, “There is trouble!”
“What’s going on?” Aang demanded.
“Concentrate on your leaves!” Jeong Jeong cried, running after the other man. Though incredibly curious, Aria turned her attention to the leaf, realizing the singe line had advanced further. Sokka and Katara seemed none too interested in the leaves, instead both were messing around in the river; Sokka fishing and Katara bending.
“This is the worst firebending instruction ever! All he does is leave me alone for hours to concentrate or breathe.” Aang complained loudly.
“I’m sure there’s a good reason.” Katara called from where she was sitting.
“This actually is a really good exercise for learning to control fire; I think our problem was that I was trying to start you out way too fast and strong.” Aria said thoughtfully.
“But I’m ready to do so much more!” Aang argued. Suddenly his face changed, taking on an inspired look and he widened his stance.
“Aang don’t.” Aria warned flatly. “You agreed to listen.”
With a great intake of breath, the leaf in Aang’s hands burst into flame and was consumed.
“I did it! I created fire!” Aang cried ecstatically, holding the remaining flame cupped in both his hands.
“Aang that’s great but you should take it slow.” Katara said nervously. When Aang glanced at Katara the flame expanded with a roaring sound, almost throwing Aang off balance.
“Aang, put it out now.” Aria growled. The last time he had tried to control so much fire he would have burned Aria bad had she not diverted it in time.
“Now that’s firebending!” Aang shouted, ignoring the two girls. With a flourish he shot a stream of fire up into the air; Aria could feel the heat of it slash across her face.
“Aang you’ll hurt yourself!” Katara urged.
“Or someone else!” Aria added angrily.
“I wonder how that magician did the dragon trick…” Aang said thoughtfully.
“It took me months to figure that out and I had already been bending for years!” Aria exclaimed, “You’re being a brat!”
Ignoring her, Aang began manipulating the fire, tossing it back and forth between his hands. Concentrating, he began the movement the fire magician had used to conjure the dragon’s head. Aria dropped her leaf and backed up a few steps, knowing there was no way he’d be able to do it. When she was trying to figure it out she had burned down several old tapestries hanging in the practice hall and had gotten in big trouble. A great smile on his face, Aang spread his arms, releasing the fire; Aria raised her arms in front of her, forcing the flame to pass harmlessly to the side when she heard the cries of pain. Katara was hunched over, cradling her hands and crying loudly.
“Katara! I’m so sorry!” Aang shouted in panic, bounding over to her. Aria ran over, shoving Aang out of the way, and inspected Katara’s hands; they looked bad, almost as bad as Aria’s sides had been. A groan escaped from Aria’s lips, she knew how painful it was and wondered if Katara’s hands would even work properly ever again; the skin on Aria’s sides didn’t stretch like it should have anymore.
“Katara, what’s wrong?” Sokka cried, sprinting over from where he had been fishing and glaring at Aang, “What did you do?”
“It-it was an-an accident! I-Katara I’m-” Aang stuttered.
“I told you we shouldn’t mess around with this!” Sokka yelled, overriding Aang. “Look what you did! You burned my sister!”
Before anyone could stop her, Katara ran down the riverbank and disappeared into the woods, sobbing all the way. Aria stood, stunned, as Sokka yelled at Aang who was sitting in the grass, looking like he felt lower than dirt. It had happened so fast; she should have forced Aang to stop.
“Sokka, that’s enough!” Aria intervened, “You need to go check on Katara.”
“This is all your fault!” Sokka screamed, pointing past Aria. Aria whipped around to find Jeong Jeong surveying the scene with an indecipherable expression.
“I know, now pack your things. You must leave immediately.” Jeong Jeong stated hurriedly. He gave Aang one long look full of disappointment before marching into the woods after Katara while Sokka and Aria began throwing their bags onto Appa. They had gathered the last of their things when Katara sprinted out of the woods.
“Katara! Are you okay?” Sokka asked concernedly.
“I’m fine, where’s Aang?” She asked. Aria was amazed to see the burns were completely gone and was going to ask when Katara resumed talking, “We have to get out of here. Zhao and his men came up the river in boats; they’ve captured Jeong Jeong.”
Sokka pointed at Jeong Jeong’s hut where Aang had taken refuge and Katara took off; Aria’s heart was pounding, she hadn’t expected to run into him this quickly. Had he even gotten the letter? Panic threatened to overcome her but she took deep, calming breaths, trying to keep in the forefront of her mind her reasoning for doing it. Hardly more than a minute passed when Aang blew out of the hut, Katara following not far behind. All four of them sprinted into the woods, most of them intent on saving Jeong Jeong, one of them just concentrating on not being sick. The trees thinned out and Aria caught sight of boats pulled up on the shore and grabbed Katara and Sokka, pulling them to a stop; it would be better to figure out what was going on before charging out blind. Though she hissed at him to stop, Aang continued running at the small group of soldiers standing around what she assumed was Jeong Jeong. The lone figure standing outside the circle and in front of another group of men sent chills running down her spine; he was easy to recognize even from this distance.
“Jeong Jeong!” Aang shouted. Jeong Jeong looked over at Aang and gave a small smile before, with a quick movement, seemed to be consumed by a ball of fire, forcing the surrounding soldiers to backpedal quickly; when the fire ball dispersed, the place Jeong Jeong had been standing was now empty. Aria gasped; she had never seen that move before.
“It’s a trick! He’s run off into the woods, find him!” Zhao roared. His men pushed into the forest and it was too late that Aria realized they were in their direct line of sight. With a shout the soldiers ran at them, spreading out to surround them.
“Run!” Sokka shouted. Aria spared one more glance for Aang who was squaring off with Zhao, before taking off, passing Sokka. It was several moments before Aria realized she shouldn’t be running and she slowed down, fully planning on turning back, when she heard a grunt of pain and crashing underbrush. She turned in time to see Sokka falling to his knees, his shirt on fire; he had been hit with a blast of fire on his upper back. A shout of triumph came from the band of soldiers following them, still fifty yards back. Not knowing what else to do, Aria set the forest on fire, creating a great, electric blue barrier between them to slow them down; sweat immediately beaded her forehead and the roar of the fire almost deafened them. After beating his shirt to put it out, Aria grabbed Sokka under his armpit and heaved, trying to get him to his feet; Katara joined in on the other side and they half carried him back to Jeong Jeong’s camp, stumbling all the way, and laid him down next to Appa.
Not wasting any time, Katara uncorked her water pouch and drew out a long stream, wrapping her hand in it. The water shimmered eerily, distorting the edges of her hand, and began pulsing with a weird, white light. Aria’s eyes flickered between Katara’s face, screwed up in concentration, and her hand, descending onto Sokka’s burnt back. A groan of pain hissed from between Sokka’s clenched teeth but he remained still, staring widely at Katara. When the water made contact with his back, Sokka’s face relaxed and he closed his eyes as if sleeping. Aria’s jaw dropped and she relinquished her hold on Sokka’s arm; flesh was knitting back together, new skin forming to smooth over the ruined muscle underneath. Exhaling, Katara rocked back on her heels, looking slightly drained. Unable to help herself, Aria reached down and touched the skin where the burn had been merely seconds ago; it was perfectly smooth and cool to the touch.
“What’d you just do?” Aria demanded.
“Jeong Jeong said waterbenders can sometimes heal. I guess I can.” Katara answered, holding up her now burn free hands.
“That’s extraordinary.” Aria marveled, desperately wishing Katara could have figured that out before… “I wonder where Jeong Jeong went.”
“None of that matters right now, we have to go get Aang.” Sokka said shakily, pushing himself to his feet and rubbing his back.
“No we don’t.” Aria said, pointing; Aang had emerged at a dead run from the woods, looking okay other than some scorched clothing.
“Let’s get out of here!” Aang shouted, not even slowing down before jumping onto Appa. “I just got Zhao to burn all the boats and he’s mad. I bet they’re looking for us now. Maybe when they see Appa flying away they’ll leave Jeong Jeong’s camp alone.”
Sokka and Katara scrambled up into Appa’s saddle, getting a small chuckle at Zhao’s plight but Aria, remaining on the ground, simply shouldered her pack and surveyed them sadly.
“What are you doing? Let’s go.” Sokka said, reclining against the side of the saddle.
“I’m not coming.” Aria answered baldly.
“What?” Aang and Katara cried in unison. All three of them stared at her as if seeing her for the first time and Aria smiled faintly.
“I’ve got to go back. Here, I don’t have a lot of time but this should explain everything.” Aria answered, digging into her pack and pulling out Jirou’s letter. Sokka jumped to the ground and pulled the crumpled parchment out of Aria’s hand.
“Aria, are you insane?” Sokka cried, passing the letter up for the other two to read, “Zuko is evil now! He’s just a horrible person. How do you know he even still loves you? You’d be throwing yourself away and he wouldn’t even care. And how could you even think about helping to capture Aang?”
“Don’t even go there.” Aria snapped, “Obviously I wouldn’t turn in Aang. I’d say he’s trying to master earthbending in the Earth Kingdom or something. And don’t talk about Zuko to me. It’s none of your business.”
“But what about his firebending?” Katara asked, “Jeong Jeong is gone; who knows when we can find another firebender.”
“That doesn’t matter.” Aang answered, suddenly looking ashamed, “I’m never firebending again.”
“First, yes, you will firebend again Aang. You have to you’re the Avatar.” Aria pointed out, “Second, you found Jeong Jeong once, you can find him again. He’s the best teacher for Aang. If not, it will work out somehow.”
“Aria,” Katara said softly, sliding down Appa’s side, “How can you go back to him after…after what happened?”
Aria looked as if she was going to be sick; her lips were tightly compressed and her face devoid of color.
“I’ve been trying to think of a way out and I just don’t see it. I don’t want to; I’m terrified but I don’t have a choice. I can’t ignore this if it means Aang will get some breathing room to master waterbending and Zuko’s honor will be restored.” Aria pleaded, as if desperate for someone to produce a valid argument.
“How are you even going to find them now? I’m sure Zhao didn’t just set up camp on the riverbank to hang out.” Sokka asked.
“The Avatar was just here!” Aria emphasized, “Zhao will be thorough; he isn’t going to rely on you being gone just because Appa flew off. I bet patrols are moving through the woods right now, it won’t be hard for me to hook up with one of them.”
Without a word, Katara rushed forward and hugged Aria fiercely, Aang jumping down and joining in. After a brief pause, Sokka grumbled and wrapped his arms around all of them. A great surge of emotion tore at Aria’s chest, making her eyes prickle. She stood completely still, not returning the embrace but effected by it all the same.
“You don’t have to do this.” Katara mumbled into Aria’s shoulder.
“You guys are some of the best friends I’ve ever had.” Aria said, gently extracting herself from the others, “Get your butts to the North Pole. Who knows what will happen? We could see each other again.”
Pulling her pack back over her shoulder, Aria marched off. At the edge of the woods, she turned and, with a flourish, saluted them in the Fire Nation military fashion before disappearing under the trees. Aria only walked for a few minutes before leaning on a tree and leaning forward, her hands on her knees. Her breath was coming in great gasps and she felt as if she was suffocating. Her heart thudded like mad against her ribcage as if seeking escape and her legs shook. What am I doing? The mantra repeated over and over in her head and fear and panic blossomed in her chest like an unwelcome weed. It took a good ten minutes before she managed to get her body under control; she took a great, shaky breath and straightened her shirt before striding off quickly, determined to find a patrol before she changed her mind.
The light was of a flickering, inconsistent quality; the source obviously being from a fire. Low voices drifted through the trees, disturbing the otherwise quiet environment. Aria approached the warm, reddish glow quickly but stopped just outside the light, still invisible in the inky darkness of the surrounding forest. She surveyed the men lounging in Fire Nation uniforms coldly and calmly, feeling such strong disdain it almost drowned out the fear. Hitching an arrogant smile in place, Aria strode into the light.
“Evening gentlemen.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Based on a couple of comments I received, I have a feeling I might be making some people mad...so I apologize haha! I promise I'm not trying to be a jerk.