Playing With Fire

Chapter 3

“So Aria, whens the big date?” Chin, one of Aria’s school mates, asked. He was leaning up against a lamp post, watching the game in progress.
“Hmm?” Aria asked, barely paying attention to him, intent on the game in front of her. She was never very good at Pai Sho; the patience and strategy it required to be a great player escaped her. A frustrated growl emanated from her and she smacked her forehead; her opponent, another of her friends, had just made a brilliant move and it would be a miracle for Aria to win now. Knowing when to quit was also not one of her strong points so she continued to study the board, desperate for a winning move.
“Aria…?” Chin said, attempting to get his friends attention. Disgusted, Aria jumped to her feet, giving up on the game.
“You win.” She admitted grumpily, “What Chin?”
“I asked when the big date is” Chin repeated slowly.
“What are you talking about?” Aria questioned nonplussed.
“Word on the street is you and Zuko are engaged to be married. So…when’s the big date?” Chin said grinning. Aria scowled and pushed his gangly form away.
“Eh, don’t bring that up. It got kind of heated at home for a while because of that.” Aria complained. “How did you hear about that anyways?”
“Please, do you really think such momentous news would stay quiet?” Chin scoffed, “So is it true or not?”
“Yes it’s true but I don’t want to talk about it right now. It’s a long way off so why don’t we just forget about it right now and go see what’s playing at the theatre or something?” Aria said fiercely.
“Ok, ok. No need to get upset.” Chin said, his hands raised placatingly.
“Then let’s get going if we want to get good seats.” Liu, Aria’s opponent, said. The trio stacked the tiles neatly on the side of the board for the next players and left. The theatre was ten minutes across the city and the kids hustled, wanting to get there in time for the next showing. Aria darted through the crowd of people and made it to the theatre with minutes to spare. The poster plastered on the wall of the theatre showed that Romance of the Dragons was showing. Aria wrinkled her nose, it wasn’t her first choice but it would do.
The three paid for their tickets and took their seats. The interior of the theatre was cool, a refreshing change from the heat outside. Waiting for the play to start, Aria and her two friends joked among themselves, occasionally earning a disapproving look from the older viewers. Chin left to get some fire flakes for them to share and the other two continued to converse. Aria enjoyed hanging out with these two though she didn’t get to very often. They went to different schools and they weren’t exactly part of the Fire Nations higher society so General Jirou disapproved.
The theatre went dark and the crowd was hushed. Aria leaned forward, waiting for the curtain to open. She loved the theatre and couldn’t help but get excited for the start of the show. Chin managed to slide into his seat as the curtains were sliding open; he passed around the fire flakes and Aria took a handful. Music swelled through the theatre and the actors appeared, frolicking across the stage. Aria was completely absorbed by the play, being taken in by the storyline. This was the third time she’d seen this production and she whispered the lines under her breath.
Over the next hour, the story continued to unfold, drawing many reactions from the crowd: laughter, tears, gasps. The hero was surrounded by enemies, his situation dire, when the curtains closed and the audience stood for the intermission. Aria stood applauding and made her way outside for some air followed by Chin and Liu. Outside, dusk was approaching and the sound of crickets filled the air; one by one, the flames in the lantern posts flickered to life. Sitting on a low wall outside the theatre, Aria looked up at the stars that were beginning to appear.
“I hate when they go to intermission right in the middle of a good part.” Liu complained.
“But you’ve already seen Romance of the Dragons.” Aria reminded her, laughing.
“I know, but still….” Liu said, sitting down next to Aria. For the next fifteen minutes, they talked and joked, enjoying each other’s company. A soft breeze blew down the street, lessening the heat that still lingered from earlier in the day. Not that the heat particularly bothered any of them, living in the Fire Nation, the climate was always warm. Aria kicked her feet against the wall, impatient for the play to resume. From within the theatre a gong sounded, signaling the start of the second act. Jumping up, they hurried inside to catch the last half.
The entire audience stood, applauding the last act. After a small delay, the curtains opened again and the troop of actors appeared once more on the stage. Holding hands, they bowed, smiling at the hearty applause of the audience. Bowing once more, the curtains closed for a final time and the audience crowded toward the exits, eager to be gone. Aria waited before heading out, seeing no point in trying to fight with all those people.
Outside, true night had fallen, the stars twinkling brightly. Aria wasn’t looking forward to arriving home; her father was not going to be happy that she had been gone almost all day. Although he had also been gone most of the day at the war council, she knew her firebending master would report back to him; she had decided to skip her training session for the day. They passed the park where earlier they had played Pai Sho and stopped at the corner. Saying their goodbyes, Aria went one way and the other two went another. The remaining distance to home, Aria tried to think of things she could say to appease her father but the outlook wasn’t good. Hopefully, he’d already be sleeping and she could go to her room without a confrontation.
The door swung open silently on well-oiled hinges and Aria stepped as quietly as she could inside. She closed the door with a small snap and turned around, ready to make a break for the stairs. In her way stood one of her father’s personal servants, regarding her silently. Cursing under her breath, she forced a smile and raised her eyebrows questioningly.
“General Jirou waits for you in his study.” He announced solemnly and bowing, he turned on his heel and marched away. Aria slowly made her way to her father’s study, dragging her feet. Pausing at the huge ornate door, she took a deep breath and knocked.
“Come in.” General Jirou’s voice issued from the interior of the room. Aria turned the handle and entered, looking at her father. He sat behind a colossal desk, busy writing something she couldn’t see. She stood erect in front of her desk and waited for him to speak. It was several minutes before he acknowledged her presence. He rolled up the scroll he was writing on, and put it in a desk drawer. It was only then that he looked at her, leaning back in his chair.
“You weren’t at your lesson today.” He stated, staring at her coldly.
“I just lost track of time. I’m sorry.” Aria apologized. “I’ll-” General Jirou held up his hand and Aria fell silent.
“I did not call you here to listen to your excuses,” He said, “After the Agni Kai tomorrow morning you will come back to the practice hall and train for the rest of the day. Your master is willing to come again tomorrow and stay all day. You will not leave this house again for several weeks. That is all, you may go.”
“Wait. Agni Kai? What are you talking about?” Aria asked, ignoring her dismissal. If her father was taking notice of it, it had to be important. Her father considered her, eyes narrowed; he leaned forward his elbows on the desk.
“As I’m sure you know, Prince Zuko attended the war council today.” He said uncaringly. At the sound of Zuko’s name, Aria’s heart skipped a beat, what had happened? “The insolent little whelp thought he knew better than General Shan and couldn’t keep his smart mouth shut.”
“What happened?” Aria asked breathlessly.
“I’ve just told you what happened.” General Jirou said sounding annoyed.
“So Zuko has to fight General Shan?! That’s not fair at all! I’m sure he was doing what he thought was right!” Aria cried out.
A muscle twitched in General Jirou’s clenched jaw; Aria was dangerously close to crossing the line today. He couldn’t understand where she got her hot headedness.
“He is not fighting General Shan. He was disrespectful in the Firelord’s war chamber; it is the Firelord he has to fight.” General Jirou stated.
“His own father? How can he be expected to fight Firelord Ozai? The Firelord is a master bender! Zuko will be killed! How can you condone this?” Aria almost shouted, taking a step forward.
General Jirou pushed his chair back and stood up quickly, towering over her.
“You forget your place,” He hissed, “The spoiled brat should not have spoken against a top ranking General, the Firelord does well to teach him some manners. Apparently you seem to be lacking them also.”
“You’re both just cruel, horrible men! It’s no wonder you gained the Firelord’s favor so quickly, you’re both the same! I-”
“ENOUGH!” General Jirou roared. Aria’s head snapped to the side when the back of his hand hit her across the face. “I have given you too much reign but no longer. You will be respectful and if you require force to learn then so be it. Tomorrow you will attend the Agni Kai and you will return straight home. From now on you will attend to your studies and you’re bending only, I will personally oversee your training.”
Aria watched him with wide eyes, her face smarting. She knew she had crossed the line when she had first started talking but she couldn’t help herself. Her father was still yelling but Aria’s thoughts were on Zuko and what he must be thinking at that moment. Focusing back on her father, she was stunned by what he was saying.
“-knew I should have agreed to Captain Zhao’s proposal. He at least respects his superiors and would make you behave.”
Aria shook her head and knowing she would regret it, opened her mouth to speak; once again displaying her lack of knowing when to quit.
“Zhao? He’s got to be at least 30 years old! Almost your age! I will never consent to marry him.” She growled.
“You will do what you’re told. Now get out of my sight.” General Jirou said, his eyes shooting daggers. When Aria hesitated to move, her grabbed her arm and threw her bodily out of the room.
“You,” He shouted at a passing servant, “make sure she gets to her room and stays there.” Giving Aria one last withering glare, he returned to his study, slamming the door behind him.