Playing With Fire

Chapter 9

Aria stood apart from the other three, bemused with the conversation taking place. Aang insisted the great flying bison, apparently called Appa, was tired but Sokka felt they should continue on. Neither seemed ready to give up. Privately Aria agreed with Sokka but was unwilling to add her input when she was such a new member of the group. If they were planning on getting to the North Pole anytime soon they shouldn’t be stopping. From looking at the maps on the ship, she learned the North Pole was still a great distance. The conversation, however, was short lived because Aang had spotted the reason for the stop.
“Elephant Koi!!” He shouted loudly, making the other three jump. They all turned to the ocean and witnessed what Aang was so eager about. Jumping high into the air were giant orange koi fish the size of houses. Aria couldn’t believe the size of them and was stunned when Aang made it known that he wanted to ride them. This foolish boy was what the Fire Nation was worried about? He was likely to get himself killed before the Fire Nation could reach him. Aang jumped into the water and in no time at all was astride the giant fish, clearly enjoying himself. Aria leaned against a tree with her arms crossed, resigned to waiting for the boy. Not too long ago she would have relished the challenge of riding the elephant koi, she thought ruefully, too many things have changed.
Aria stepped forward, squinting against the glare of the sun on the water. An elephant koi made to leap out of the water but before it cleared the surface was pulled back by an unseen predator. Laughing insanely, Aang sailed atop the back of the Elephant Koi, oblivious to any danger. A huge, dark rippling spot on the water was all that could be seen of the unknown animal. As she watched, another of the overly large fish was pulled under water, not to be seen again. It has to be huge to be pulling them under, Aria thought in alarm. She ran to the edge of the water, intent on warning Aang.
“There’s something in the water!” Sokka shouted. Apparently Aria wasn’t the only one to notice. The three on shore started waving frantically and yelling, trying to get Aang’s attention. It was all in vain. Aang tumbled forward when the elephant koi he was riding was pulled backward. He hit the water hard and came up spitting out water. Behind him, the towering fin of whatever had been preying on the koi emerged from the water. It dwarfed the elephant koi by a huge margin and Aria started yelling for Aang to swim for the shore. Aang cried in alarm and ran on the water for shore, barely out pacing the swimming beast. Finally reaching land, Aang collided with Sokka and the fin disappeared once again under the water.
“What was that thing?” Aang gasped, out of breath.
“Let’s not stick around to find out. Time to hit the road.” Sokka suggested.
A flicker of movement caught Aria’s eye and she glanced sharply up. She caught a glimpse of green silk and painted faces before she was knocked to the ground. Her eyes were blindfolded and arms bound; it happened in the time it took to blink an eye. Around her, she could hear the sound of the others being slammed to the ground and she fought hard to keep from giving in to panic. This was the second time in days she had been captured by enemy forces and it shook her to know she had been ambushed so easily. Small hands hauled her to her feet roughly and she was pushed forward. She continuously stumbled over what she could only assume were stones and other imperfections on the ground but she was unable to proceed cautiously; her captors pushed forward relentlessly.
In her blindfolded state, Aria’s other senses seemed to improve and she concentrated on what she could hear. Any information she could gather could be useful. She heard the rustling of silk and the steady tread of footsteps but nothing to help make sense of her plight. The path beneath her feet became smooth and level and she assumed they had reached an outpost or town. Shortly after, she was slammed hard against and tied to what felt like an extremely solid post. It was hard to allow this to happen; every instinct in her body was telling her to fire bend and escape but she couldn’t risk it. She didn’t want to ruin her chances of staying with the avatar.
“You three have some explaining to do.”
Aria stopped her fidgeting and cocked her head, listening hard. The deep male voice came from her left.
“And if you don’t answer our questions, we’re throwing you back to the Unagi.”
A high girl’s voice also came from the left and Aria turned her head in the direction of the voices. It would be good to know just how many people they were facing but no other voices spoke up.
“Show yourselves cowards!” Sokka yelled. Bright light seared into Aria’s pupils when the blindfold was abruptly yanked off. She blinked several times before she was able to focus on the people standing in front of her. Girls in garish costumes are what first demanded her attention. From the green silk she could tell these were the people who had ambushed them. Their faces were covered in bright make up and in their hands were gleaming golden fans. In front of them stood an old, bearded man but Aria quickly discarded him as non-threatening. She was tied to the right of Aang and couldn’t see Sokka.
“Who are you? Where are the men who ambushed us?” Sokka demanded. Aria grimaced; she knew it was the girls who had attacked them and that Sokka had probably just deeply offended them.
“There were no men, we ambushed you. Now tell us, who are you and what are you doing here?” One of the girls in costume asked fiercely.
“Wait a second, there’s no way a bunch of girls ambushed us.” Sokka said unbelievably. Aria shook her head, with Sokka’s big mouth there was no way they were getting out of there alive.
“A bunch of girls huh? The Unagi will eat well tonight!” The same girl who spoke before grabbed Sokka’s tunic, mere inches from his face.
“Wait! My brother is just an idiot sometimes.” Katara interrupted frantically. Aria wished Katara would have let him get hit; he needed it to silence his idiocy.
“It’s my fault; I wanted to ride the elephant koi.” Aang confessed remorsefully.
How do we know you’re not Fire Nation Spies? The girl is even dressed as a Fire Nation soldier.” The old man said, pointing at Aria. Aria scowled, there was no way it’d be her fault they all got killed.
“I’m not Fire Nation. It’s a long story but I promise you I’m from a village in the Earth Kingdom.” Aria answered tiredly. She might as well of not spoken at all; the man’s look of disbelief was all she needed to know they were in trouble.
“Kyoshi has stayed out of the war so far and we intend to remain that way.” The old man said stubbornly.
“This island is named after Kyoshi? I know Kyoshi!” Aang exclaimed excitedly.
“Ha how could you possibly know her? Avatar Kyoshi was born here 400 years ago; she’s been dead for centuries.” The old man said scornfully.
“I know her because I’m the Avatar.” Aang admitted. The crowd around them gaped at them in disbelief.
“That’s impossible; the last Avatar was an airbender who disappeared over a hundred years ago.” The painted girl said.
“Throw the imposters to the Unagi.” The old man ordered, turning away. Aria’s eyes widened; they were going to have to fight their way out and likely as not the avatar would just leave her to these people when they found out she was a fire bender.
“Aang, do some air bending.” Katara muttered. In a rush of air that buffeted everyone around him, Aang flew up high into the air and landed nimbly on his feet. All around them people’s jaws dropped.
“It’s true, you are the avatar.” The old man said in awe.
An hour later, they were seated around a low table piled high with food. Aria picked at her food, not really interested in eating. Listening to the avatar and Katara prattle on about these simple island people bored her and she toned them out. She looked up when Sokka stormed out and contemplated following him; she’d love to show those girls that in a fair fight they’d be so far out matched it’d almost be funny.
For the remainder of the day, Aria tagged along with Katara. The market place was filled with vendors advertising their wares. Bright, delicious looking, fruit glistened under the awnings of stands and dead fish stared blankly up at passerby. Aria wrinkled her nose when they passed them; fish never looked appetizing before it was cooked. Katara pushed through crowds of people, filling up a basket she was carrying with her. The girls occasionally glimpsed Aang with a posse of girls in tow but after attaining the supplies they needed they went back to the house without speaking to him. Aria sat and watched Katara bending water in a basin. It fascinated her; she had never seen water actually bended. A tendril of water rose from the basin, twisting and coiling through the air sinuously. Intense concentration was on Katara’s face. The door banged open and Aang sauntered in, without his fan club. Aria listened intently while Aang and Katara fought; she swore this group fought more than anyone she’d ever met. After Aang left, Aria looked at Katara quizzically.
“So…are you really going to let him ride the Unagi?” She asked.
“He can do what he wants.” Katara answered stubbornly. Her face had a stubborn set to it only briefly before it fell. “Well no, I guess not. We better go see if he’s ok.”
“Katara hurry! It’s coming back!” Aria screamed. Katara waded through the water, desperately trying to reach the prone form of Aang. She managed to grab ahold of him when the Unagi surfaced, sending them flying backward. They landed out of sight and Aria vaulted over the rocks separating her from them. The Unagi shot jets of water out of its mouth over and over again, frustrated about its lost prey. They ducked down, trying to avoid the jets but were quickly soaked. When the onslaught stopped, Aria sat up to investigate why the Unagi had fled and received a shock.
“Zuko.” She breathed.
“What?” Katara cried. She scrambled up and looked out over the rocks. Zuko and the soldiers in his crew were mounted on Komodo Rhinos and about to disembark from the ship that was ran ashore. Katara dropped to ground, taking cover behind the rocks.
“I don’t think he saw-Aria, what are you doing? Get down!” Katara hissed urgently.
Aria stood frozen in place, transfixed with the group standing only yards away. The lead Komodo Rhino was what commanded her attention. Zuko sat stiff and upright in the saddle, barking out orders. It had been over two years since she saw him last and though she was overjoyed at the sight of him, there was something wrong. Most noticeably was the bright red scar covering almost the entire right side of his face but there was something deeper. Gone was the happy, laughing boy she had known before; his face now bore the look of someone who had been through misery and had grown up fast. A sharp tugging on her shirt caught her attention; Katara was trying to pull her down out of sight. Aria snapped her head back to Zuko; she didn’t know what to do. She wanted desperately to run to him, to show him where the unconscious avatar was, and to finally be able to go home and marry him. She made to take a step forward but stopped and glanced back down at the avatar; he had helped her, had saved her from rotting in an Earth Kingdom prison. Zuko or avatar? While Aria stood immobile, oblivious to Katara’s urgings to hide, Zuko and his troop had moved past them and up the path. She had lost her chance. Aria shook her head, and turned to Katara.
“Come on, we have to go.” She choked out.
“What was that about?” Katara demanded. Water slithered from Aang’s mouth; Katara had used bending to clear his lungs of it.
Aria ignored her and ran for the town. When the three reached the main road, complete destruction met their eyes. The buildings were on fire and the rhinos ran rampant through the streets, taking down anything in their way. Zuko had done this? Aria asked herself silently. Pitiful cries filled the air and Aria ran to help the source of them; children were out in the street in danger from the soldiers and the fire. She looked up in time to see Zuko being smashed through a door and she made to run to him but Katara grabbed her arm.
“Aria, we have to leave. It’s the only way to save these people.” She said. “Come on Aang, let’s go.”
Aria only half-heartedly climbed into Appa’s saddle and stared back, waiting for Zuko to emerge from the building. She sighed in relief when she saw him on the road and ordering pursuit of the avatar. As a last favor to the people of Kyoshi, Aang jumped into the water. Just moments later, the Unagi surfaced with Aang on top. Pulling fiercely back on the unagi’s antennae, Aang forced it to jet water over the town of Kyoshi; effectively putting out the fires still burning.
With everyone settled in the saddle, they flew on northward with Aria silent as the grave. She couldn’t understand why she had not made her presence known to Zuko. What sentimental feeling had so betrayed her when she had it in her power to restore life back to normal?