Status: BACK AGAIN! ~w00t

Chasing the Night

I wish that I could press rewind somehow

Arianna arrived back at the van at around 5am. Everyone was still sound asleep, just as she’d left them. She crept back over to the seat where her boyfriend, Jase, was sleeping, snoring slightly. She smiled and lay down next to him, nuzzling her face in the crook of his neck. He stirred and wrapped an arm around her, bringing her closer to his chest. Arianna settled in and tried to sleep, and although she was wrapped up in her boyfriend’s arms, she couldn’t stop her thoughts from drifting to the ginger-haired boy and the adventure they had shared that night.
______

Travis couldn’t wipe the smile off his face. He’d practically skipped back to the tour bus that night. Everyone was asleep in their bunks, and for once, Travis wasn’t moping about on the bus, unable to sleep. He pranced up and down the bus on his own, holding his arms out, dancing with a pretend partner. He felt so carefree, something that he’d never really experienced before. Things were definitely looking up. He collapsed on the couch and sighed happily, before closing his eyes and drifting off to sleep.

Danny emerged from his bunk four hours later, just past 9am. He had to do a double take to make sure what he was seeing was actually real. Travis was asleep on the couch, a small smile playing on his lips. Danny looked at Travis’ sleeping form, confused, before creeping past him to the small kitchen on the bus, in search of cereal and milk. Still half-asleep, he located the cereal box and dumped some in a bowl before pouring too much milk on top. He sat down at one of the tables on board the bus and started eating, just as the others wandered out from the bunk area to join him.

Danny watched in amusement as they all gave Travis the same confused look he had. It was rare, these days, to see Travis actually sleeping, let alone with a smile on his face. It was just plain weird. “Should we wake him up?” Hunter whispered, looking over at the ginger-haired boy. “No way,” Danny said with a mouthful. “He never sleeps. Let him enjoy it.” Hunter nodded and sat down beside Danny, starting on his own bowl of cereal.

Travis didn’t wake up until two hours later. It was just as well, too, because Hunter was starting to think they’d have to wake him in time for their set. Travis had woken up on his own, with an hour to spare before their set started. The band members of We The Kings were at sound check, and Travis scrambled to get dressed and showered quickly to catch up with them. On his way to the main stage where they were playing, he passed one of the smaller stages, and heard an all-too familiar voice. He stopped in his tracks and craned his neck to look over the crowds, and that’s when he saw her.

Arianna was standing centre-stage, the microphone to her lips, her voice resonating over the crowds gathered. Her eyes were closed, her face full of emotion as she delivered the last lines of the song, bent over one of the boxes at the front of the stage. The crowd cheered loudly, just as the members of Times Infinity! launched into their next song. Travis, forgetting about his own commitments, ran to back of the stage Arianna’s band was playing on, flashing his all access areas pass at the security guards and making his way side-stage. His phone started ringing, but he turned it off, focusing only on Arianna.

She started clapping, the crowd joining in with her as their energetic song gained volume. The petite blonde pumped her fist in the air as the powerful chorus revved up the crowd. They were going crazy, all jumping up and down, some having to be pulled out by the security guards at the front of the barrier. Some people were crowd surfing while others sat on the shoulders of their friends to get a better view.

Travis was mesmerized by the performance. He couldn’t take his eyes off Arianna as she sang. She was simply amazing. Times Infinity! finished their set two songs later, and the band members stumbled off stage, their arms slung carelessly over one another’s shoulders.

When Lukas saw Travis standing there, he swore he nearly died. “Travis? Travis Clark?!” He said, staring at the ginger-haired boy. Travis smiled and nodded, putting his hands in his pockets awkwardly. “Man, I freaking love you!” Lukas exclaimed, hugging the singer. Travis was startled at first, but hugged Lukas back (awkwardly) trying to maintain a ‘bro’ atmosphere instead of a ‘gay’ one. He laughed and pulled away, looking into Lukas’ face. “Thanks, man,” he said with another laugh.

“Hey,” Arianna said, glancing over at Travis. “Hey,” Travis replied, not quite sure what else to say. He never really got nervous, but whenever he was around Arianna, he just had no idea what to do or say. He got all tongue-tied and he had no idea why. Lukas noticed the awkwardness immediately. He had a way of sensing it, and every time it happened, he felt the need to fill up the empty space with his seemingly endless chatter.

“So,” he said now. “How’d you like the show?” Travis was glad for the distraction. He tore his eyes away from Arianna to look at Lukas. “It was great,” Travis said with a smile. “You should swing by a We The Kings show sometime.” It was then that he remembered that he’d been on his way to his set when he’d gotten...distracted. “Shit!” Travis exclaimed, bringing his hand to his forehead. “What’s up?” Arianna asked him, her face creased with worry. “I’m late!” Travis explained. “I’ve gotta get to the main stage for my set, like, now.”

“Mind if we come with?” Lukas asked, hopeful. “Lukas!” Arianna screeched, punching him in the arm. “Ouch!” he complained, rubbing the sore spot. “That is if the offer still stands,” Lukas added with a shrug and a goofy smile. Travis laughed and shook his head. “Come on, then,” he said, leading the way.

Lukas followed eagerly behind him like a puppy, causing the others to laugh and amble after them. Arianna, Embry and Jase knew how much Lukas loved We The Kings. They’d been one of the guitarist’s favourite bands for years. Which is why he’d found it so funny when Arianna had run into Travis and said that she liked his song ‘Check Yes Juliet.’ Lukas couldn’t even begin to explain the hilarity of the whole situation.

He was practically bounding along after Travis, a goofy smile spread across his face. He couldn’t believe he was hanging out with Travis Clark and about to watch We The Kings live from side stage. It was like a dream come true and he felt like a kid at Christmas.

“I’m Lukas, by the way,” he said, just as they reached the main stage. Travis smiled and shook his hand in a formal greeting. “I’m Travis,” he said with a grin, winking at him. Lukas threw his head back and laughed loudly. “I fucking know!” He yelled, laughing louder. Travis decided that he liked Lukas already.

Danny, Drew and Hunter were anxiously waiting for him when he finally turned up. “Where the hell have you been?” Hunter asked him, the second he reached them. “I’m sorry I’m late, I just got caught up...” Travis trailed off, throwing Hunter an apologetic smile. Hunter sighed and clapped him on the shoulder. “It’s okay, buddy,” he said. “Now, who’s this?”

Travis smiled and turned to look at the band members of Times Infinity! “This is Lukas,” he said, the guitarist beaming when Travis nodded towards him. “Arianna,” Travis said, gesturing to the petite blonde. He felt bad that he didn’t know the others names, but Arianna quickly picked up for him. “Jase and Embry,” she said, pointing out the two guys. “Are you fans?” Hunter asked suspiciously. “Fuck yes!” Lukas screamed, causing Embry to roll his eyes.

“We’re in the band Times Infinity!” Jase explained. “Oh, right! I’ve heard of you guys! You just got signed, right? Female lead singer?” Hunter said, glancing over at Arianna and smiling. “Yeah,” she said. “That’s us.” Lukas beamed in pride.

“You guys! You’re on!” The tour manager hollered, ushering the guys on stage. The members of Times Infinity! stood off to the side of the stage to watch We The Kings perform. Travis stepped up to the microphone just as the opening notes were played for their first song. Travis glanced over at Arianna, a huge smile on his face, as he sang the opening lines.

“Check yes, Josephine, are you with me?” He sang, his smile only growing wider. Arianna laughed as a blush started working its way across her features. Travis faced a confused crowd as he continued to sing, his smile genuine. He was really enjoying himself. He was pitch-perfect and so energetic. His band mates were definitely impressed by the ginger-haired boy’s performance. When they came to their closing song, Drew, Danny and Hunter braced themselves for another one of Travis’ emotional breakdowns. August Is Over always got to him.

Which is why they were surprised when he got through the entire song without choking up. It was seemingly perfect. Travis was so consumed by his thoughts of the blonde girl standing side stage that he forgot all about who the song was written about. He was so lost in thought that he sang the song without really thinking about it.

The band members of We The Kings thanked the crowd and waved before walking off stage. Travis immediately made his way to Arianna and the others. “How’d you like it?” He asked them. “Fucking awesome!” Lukas said enthusiastically. Travis laughed and looked over at Arianna. “What was that last song called?” She asked him. “I really like it. I heard it the other day but I had no idea that it was you.” Travis smiled and opened his mouth to speak, but Lukas beat him to it.

“It’s called ‘September is over,’” Lukas said, biting on his bottom lip to stop himself from giving it away. Travis laughed and held up his hand for a high-five. Lukas happily obliged and slapped palms with the singer. “Good one,” Travis said with a smile. “What?” Arianna said, confused. “I don’t get it!”

“It’s August is over,” Travis explained. Arianna rolled her eyes before directing a dirty look at Lukas. “What?” He said in an unusually high voice, attempting to put on an ‘innocent’ face. “I’m never gonna live the Josephine thing down, am I?” Arianna said. The others laughed. “Never!” Lukas hollered. Arianna rolled her eyes again and Jase wrapped his arm around her waist, pulling her to his side.

Travis was immediately aware of this action and couldn’t stop staring at the spot where Jase’s hand gripped her shirt. What did it mean? Was Jase her boyfriend? It made sense. A girl as beautiful and talented and funny and smart and amazing as Arianna couldn’t possibly be single. Travis tried not to look disappointed, but he couldn’t help it. He jutted out his bottom lip in a pout and shoved his hands in his pockets.

What if he wasn’t her boyfriend? Band members were always really close, he knew that. Travis glanced up at them again, just as Jase kissed Arianna on the side of the face. The way she giggled at his touch only confirmed what Travis had been thinking. They were definitely together and Travis was on his own. Just like before. Just like always.
♠ ♠ ♠
I love Lukas. Just saying.

I write this story for fun, because I love We The Kings. The fact that other people read and subscribe to this story is amazing. I’m in love with my commenters. Thank you guys so much!

allykat_08
yournightmareXO
emilyrose


Chapter title credit goes to ‘She’s Got A Boyfriend Now’ by Boys Like Girls. Very fitting, don’t you think? Haha :)

P.S. I just added a character's page. Check it out and tell me what you think?