Sequel: Promise Me This
Status: Complete(:

This One's For You

Strangers, friends, more?

“Kate, I gotta get to class, but I promise, I’ll call you as soon as I can.” Kate closed her eyes, listening to Xavier’s breathing. Keeping a relationship going was hard enough, but being on two completely different sides of the country was not helping.

“M’kay. Promise?” He laughed, but sounded distracted.

“Yeah, Katie. I promise. Now I really need to go.”

“Okay. Good—“ the click of the phone cut her off, and she picked her coffee mug off of the oak table. She looked out the window of the little café, taking a small sip. All of the buildings and traffic were a bit intimidating, even more so when you compared it to her hometown in Maine. Where Xavier was, right now.

She circled the paper cup in her hand, biting her lip, trying to shake the inevitable thoughts from her head. She was nineteen, as was Xavier. They’d graduated together, grown up together, and lived next door to each other—until now. She didn’t know whether or not it was love, but he was her best friend. She missed him, but she got the impression he was just fine.

Then again, he was always ‘just fine’. When the accident happened, she was a wreck, not him. When she told him about her plan to move 3,000 miles away, he was fine.

The bell above the door rang out, and she looked up for a second, startled. Her eyes met with the stranger’s, and she was breathless. His eyes were a green she’d only seen in crayons, and his smile was contagious. He met her gaze, and it felt as if he were staring into her soul. His friend slapped him on the back, and in that moment, the magic was broken. She looked down, embarrassed, and he went to the counter to order.

What was that? She had a boyfriend. One she cared about, and he cared about her to…hopefully. She ran her fingers through her coffee colored hair, trying to make herself believe that Xavier was missing her as much as she was he.

“Is this seat taken?” a soft voice asked, and Kate looked up, seeing the guy who had walked in earlier.

“No, go ahead, um, I don’t quite know your name,” Kate answered, her cream colored cheeks reddening.

“I’m Kendall. Kendall Schmidt,” he said pleasantly, reaching over to shake her hand. She grinned a bit, taking in every feature of his face.

“Well, Kendall, I’m Katherine. Kate, really. Kate Williams,” she stammered, twirling one of her curls nervously. Her pulse quickened, and she dropped his hand. You’re taken, she reminded herself.

“It’s very nice to meet you,” he said, looking down at his coffee. Movement at a table on the other side of the room caught her attention.

“I’m not taking you away from your friends, am I? Because they seem very jealous,” Kate said with a hint of laughter in her voice. Kendall turned around, seeing his three friends all gesturing their way. As soon as they saw Kate and Kendall staring, they looked away, laughing.

“Sorry about that. They think they’re discreet.”

“Well, they certainly aren’t getting into the CIA anytime soon.” Kendall laughed, looking again at his friends.

“So, why exactly is a girl like you sitting all alone?” Kendall asked, and Kate smiled. She’d been waiting for the question from the moment he asked to sit.

“I have a boyfriend,” she stated firmly, and Kendall smiled, nodding his head.

“Not exactly what I asked. I just got out of a relationship; I’m not really looking. I just meant, you look nice, like the kind of person who shouldn’t have to sit at a table all alone,” Kendall explained, motioning with his hands as he talked. A mix of relief and disappointment swept over Kate. She tried to shake it off, focusing instead on the actual question he had directed at her.

“I just moved here a few weeks ago. I haven’t had much time to make friends yet,” she traced the design on her coffee cup absentmindedly, thinking again of her hometown.

“Well, if I’m not being too straight-forward, wanna be friends?” He grinned, lifting his chin. Kate laughed, the sound ringing like wind chimes.

“I would like that a lot. I’m a far way from home, and not the most socially inclined person.” Kendall raised his eyebrows, curious.

“Not socially inclined? You didn’t spray me with mace or run screaming. Even after you saw the strange people I hang out with,” he pointed out, and she looked to be considering it.

“Well, some people find my sarcasm offensive, and as to them,” she motioned behind him, “I have my share of strange friends.”

“Fair enough. For the record, sarcasm is my second language.”

“Nice to know,” she said, grinning. Kendall rubbed the back of his neck, looking into her hazel eyes.

“You said you’re new here, right?” he asked.

“Mhm. I’m from Maine,” she said, giggling at the shocked look on his face. “I know, I’m far from home.”

“Well, how would you like to get a tour of the area tomorrow?” His eyes were giving her a puppy dog look, and she bit her lip.

“I have a boyfriend,” she repeated, and he smiled.

“I know. I heard you the first time. But I figured since we’re best friends now, it would just be hanging out,” he trailed on, and Kate felt her face heating up in embarrassment.

“Oh. Like not a date. I’d like that, actually.” She looked at her lap, trying to relax.

“Great. You know, you really should stop assuming I’m hitting on you,” he teased, and she grimaced.

“I’m sorry. I’m not sure what I was thinking. I haven’t been out with friends since I left. I forgot the formalities,” she rambled, and he laughed, stopping her.

“It’s really okay, I promise. Besides, I’m a big believer that ‘sorry’ should be saved for when it’s really needed, not used every two seconds.”

“Good to know. So, tomorrow? Same time?”

“Yeah. I’ll meet you here.”

“Okay,” she murmured, and he got up to head to the other table. “Hey, Kendall!” she called, and he turned mid-step.

“What’s up?” he asked, debating whether or not to walk all the way back.

“It was nice meeting you, best friend.” He stifled a laugh, his smile increasing.

“Back at you, best friend.” Kate watched as he walked over to the three other guys, who all immediately started grilling him.

“Nice to meet you,” she whispered again, the corners of her lips tugging up uncontrollably. She picked up her things, and walked out the door, the little bell announcing her departure. Kendall looked up, his friends words nothing but buzzing in his ear, and watched her walk down the street until she disappeared in the crowd, his heard thudding erratically.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, basically, I have fallen in love with big time rush. They're what's inspiring me right now. Comments, as always, are appreciated.
xxxo, sara