Sequel: Promise Me This
Status: Complete(:

This One's For You

Admittance

Kendall returned to the apartment sometime after dinner that night, a smile etched on his face from his visit with his family. He loved his big brothers Kenneth and Kevin, and any chance to see his mom and dad was welcome. They’d ate, laughed, and then he helped his mom with the gardening. He did his best to visit his parents once a week, seeing as he was away too much.

As his hand carefully shut the sturdy wooden door, he took in the four bodies in the living room and the sound of laughter. His roommates’ voices were very familiar and welcome, as was the much higher pitched laugh. His jade eyes quickly made out Kate’s tiny frame on the plush sofa, her head tossed back in a fit of giggles. The sight of it was beautiful to him, the way her nose scrunched or her hazel eyes took on a blue tint.

“Kendall,” she smiled, being the first to see him. The way his name fell effortlessly off her perfect lips made his heart skip a beat.

“Hey guys. What’s going on?” he asked, slipping off his Vans and walking to take the open seat next to Logan, across from Kate.

“Not a lot. Carlos and I had lunch, then we got a call from a couple of losers, who locked themselves out of the apartment after surfing,” Kate teased, smiling as she shot Logan and James a look. Kendall raised his thick eyebrows curiously, but said nothing.

“Hey, it’s inconvenient carrying keys in your swim trunks,” James defended, and Kate rolled her big, hazel eyes.

“I don’t get it. You had your car keys. How do you lose just one key off a whole key ring?” she asked, feigning exasperation. Carlos was chucking, and Kendall could feel the corners of his lips twitching up slightly.

“Yeah. That’s what I said,” Logan grumbled, shooting an accusing look at James. He flipped his chestnut locks and shrugged, saying nothing more.

“Then we decided to come back here, order pizza, and chill,” Carlos finished, and Kendall nodded.

“So, what are the plans now?” he asked curiously. The guys looked at Kate, who in return, looked at the big, worn silver watch that slid around her tiny wrist.

“Well, I have to go finish up my homework before class tomorrow, so you guys are on your own," Kate announced, standing up and stretching. The guys mumbled goodbye, each giving her a hug.

“So, hi and bye?” Kendall whispered as he was hugging her. She pulled away, giving a small smile. He saw a glint of something in her eye, but couldn’t decipher what it was.

“Yeah. See you later, okay?” she murmured, her mesmerizing almond eyes reaching into his.

“Mhm,” he nodded, then watched her walk out the door. When he reluctantly returned his attention to the other guys, he noticed warily that they were all watching him intently.

“What?” He tossed his hands in the air, waiting for one of them to say something.

“We don’t mean to pry,” Logan started, and Kendall cringed internally.

“But for heaven’s sake, when are you gonna tell her?” James cut in. Kendall could feel the warmth trickling up his neck, encasing his pale, freckled skin. Yet, he couldn’t bring himself to admit anything.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” he grumbled, starting to get up. Logan pulled him back on to the couch by his shoulder.

“Look Kendall,” Carlos said, leaning his chin on his hands. “We all know. We also know that Kate is special. Girls like her don’t just waltz into a person’s life.”

Kendall was silent, staring at his hands instead of his friends’ faces. He had no idea what to say. There was no way to explain the way his head was screaming, or his heart aching. He did know they were right; if he wanted this to work, he had to do something.

“She just broke up with Xavier,” he finally settled on, trying to worm his way out of the sticky situation.

“Yeah. You’re right, that’s a great reason to let your soul mate walk right out of your grasp. My bad,” James said sarcastically, and Kendall’s head shot up to look at him.

“Dude, I know the whole soul mate crap did not just come out of your mouth,” he snapped, but James did nothing but shrugged. He knew if James was trying to talk him into this, it was serious. James was the one who dragged his sorry butt out of the deep depression after Hanna; the one who vowed never to let him rush into some relationship again.

“It did. Now you need to open your eyes. She’s obviously crazy about you too,” he muttered, earning him a death glare from Carlos. “Hey, you said you wouldn’t tell him, not me.”

“What are you even talking about?” Kendall snapped, trying to piece together the conversation he’d been working so hard to block out. Could she like him too? If she did…he couldn’t wrap his mind around it.

“Never mind,” Carlos said quickly, stopping James’s would-be response; his mouth was half-open, his eyes annoyed.

“Are you saying that Kate likes me too?” It came out as barely audible, his raspy voice a whisper at best.

“Depends does you saying ‘too’ mean you like Kate?” Logan countered, a sly grin gracing his face. Kendall bit his lip, trying not to roll his eyes.

“Of course I like Kate. I’ve liked Kate since I first saw her in that coffee shop,” Kendall admitted in a small voice, the whole realization of it all hitting him like a load of bricks. Sure, he had known he had feelings for Kate. However, saying it out loud was a completely different thing and feeling. Saying it out loud made it truly real, it meant he truly did mean it.

“So, what exactly are you waiting for?” Carlos prodded gently. For a few moments no one said anything. Kendall chewed the inside of his cheek, his heart rate abnormally high.

“I have to tell Kate,” Kendall said, a bit stunned. The guys exchanged victorious looks, smiles erupting on their faces.

“So, tell her,” Logan said after a moment, trying to jump-start Kendall’s actions, whatever they may be.

“I can’t.” The rooms filled with groans, all of the guys were frowning. All of them except Kendall; he wore a soft, thoughtful expression.

“Here I thought we were making progress,” James muttered under his breath, flipping his hair in frustration.

“I can’t tell her yet, because I have an idea. And I’m gonna need your help,” Kendall explained, the mood suddenly lightening again.

“Whatever it takes, bro,” James said happily, walking over to clasp his shoulder.

“Yeah, we have your back,” Carlos added.

“Good. Now I gotta get to work,” Kendall said grinning, then stood up, looking for what he needed to bring his idea to life.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, we're one away from fifty readers, and two away from fifteen subscribers. I cannot believe so many people read this. Well, to some people, it might not seem like a lot, but to me, who never lets anyone read my writing, it's a big deal. So thanks(:
Comments, subscriptions, and reading all of this are so so so appreciated. You all make my day, all the time.
xxxo, Sara