Sequel: Promise Me This
Status: Complete(:

This One's For You

Making Plans

Kate lay surrounded by books that weighed more than her head and lined white papers with ink smudged across them. Her bed wasn’t nearly big enough for all her study material, so naturally, multiple sheets had fallen to the floor beside it, along with discarded pens and highlighters. Her legs were crossed in the air, and her chin was being propped up on one hand, her elbow resting on the torn patches of her quilt.

She tried to memorize the formulas she’d need for her math exam the next day, but a stray piece of raven hair danced in her face, distracting her. She carefully placed it behind her ear, seeing as it wasn’t long enough to reach the messy bun on the crown of her head. She needed one math class to fulfill graduation requirements, but she’d been too stressed to take it last year in Maine. The concepts of pi and radians were lost on her, making this like pulling teeth. Her phone lit up on the end table, and she quickly reached for it, happy for an excuse to look away from the numbers.

“Hello?” she asked, stifling a yawn as her eyes adjusted to regular things again, instead of the cramped black numbers, letters, and symbols. She adjusted herself into a sitting position, playing with her cotton shorts.

“Hey Katherine. So, you’re coming over for dinner on your birthday. End of conversation,” Jesse said, and Kate could almost hear his cocky smile. She ran a hand through her hair, sending her bangs in different directions.

“Jesse, you promised it wouldn’t be a big deal,” she warned, but was met with laughter. Really her threats were useless; he was twice her size. However, she had to try anyway, just to be dignified.

“It’s not, just dinner. I’m making your favorite meal, chicken-broccoli Alfredo, and Jay’s making dessert. I figured you could invite your friends. Totally not a big deal,” he said coolly, and Kate rolled her eyes, gnawing on her lip.

“I don’t know,” she mumbled hesitantly, but by the note in Jesse’s voice, she could tell he had a back up plan. He knew her well enough to know she’d refuse.

“C’mon. It’s tradition. It’s what Mom and Dad would have wanted.” Ouch. He played that card. She wanted to be mad, but couldn’t. She knew he was right, she had no choice.

“I’ll be there. I’m not sure about the guys, but we’ll be there, say, six?”

“Six sounds great. Love you kid, see you later.” It was only Thursday, and both of them knew they’d see each other more than once in the week remaining before her birthday, so he didn’t bother saying ‘see you then.’

“Love you too, big brother. Even if you are manipulative,” she teased, and they both laughed as they hung up. She shifted back on to her stomach, but instead of looking at the papers, she watched the sun making its decent. She glanced down at her notes, but instead of returning to her studies, she dialed a familiar number on the phone.

“Hey Kate,” Kendall said cheerfully, his voice raspy, like he’d been singing for awhile. She loved the uniqueness of it, and couldn’t help the smile that it caused.

“Hey Kendall. Is movie night still on tomorrow?” she inquired, twirling her stray piece of hair.

“Yup. Seven, like always,” he teased, and she blushed a bit. She was really glad he couldn’t see the rose color her face had turned, or the ridiculously big smile she wore whenever he talked.

“Just checking. What movie are we watching?”

“I’m not sure. Something funny.” Neither spoke of the horror movie, but both thought of it, smiling just a little.

“Well, that’s good. Hey, I’m supposed to ask if you and the guys wanna come to a birthday dinner my brother’s having for me,” Kate said, finally returning to reality.

“Sure, we’d love to. When is it?” Kendall asked, and Kate quickly covered her mouth, trying to stop the giggles that threatened to escape.

“Well, I dunno. Maybe on my birthday,” she teased, and she could hear Kendall chuckle a bit too.

“Yeah. I suppose that would make sense,” he agreed, laughing at himself. Kate loved that about him, the way he didn’t sweat the stupid stuff.

“Yeah. But I should probably get back to studying. I have an exam tomorrow.” She scrunched her nose in disgust just thinking about it.

“Well, I won’t enable your procrastination any longer. See you tomorrow, Kate,” he said softly, and Kate sighed, not wanting to hang up.

“Kay,” she mumbled. “Tomorrow.” She set her phone aside, and returned to the equations. She made it another two hours before falling asleep, right on top of the papers.
***

Her alarm clock sputtered out some indie song she couldn’t recognize at seven the next morning. She groaned, rolling off of her belly, and in the process, sending loose-leaf paper fluttering everywhere. With a numb hand, she rubbed the sleep from her eyes, evaluating her surroundings. Her room looked as if some math monster had thrown up all over it, and as she caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror, she noticed half of the distance formula smudged across her forehead.

She quickly made her way to the shower, dressing afterward in a pair of skinny jeans and a blue and white striped shirt. She managed to tame her curls into a neat bun, and quickly threw on some mascara. Finally, she slid the over-sized mens' watch on her wrist. Her first class started in half an hour, and it took twenty minutes to get there. She grabbed a granola bar as she walked out the door and ate on the bus.

The three classes she had that day passed quickly, except for math. The exam wasn’t as difficult as she’d thought, but she still wasn’t sure about her results. She was absentmindedly going through them in her head, fingers drumming against the granite, as she sat at boys’ counter. The test had been nearly three hours ago, but she couldn’t stop thinking about it. Then again, maybe it was because she was afraid if she stopped, she’d think about Kendall and those damn green eyes.

“You okay there?” Logan asked, passing her on his way to the refrigerator. He was getting soda for everyone while they waited for the pizza.

“Fine. Just thinking about my exam,” she murmured quietly, still half in her daze.

“I’m sure you did fine,” he said soothingly, setting a glass of Sierra Mist in front of her.

“Just remember, poodle girl, there’s no thinking on movie night,” James shouted from the living room, smiling at her through the window between the rooms. She rolled her eyes, finally snapping out of it.

“Whatever you say pretty boy. Just because you envy my ability to think, doesn’t mean you get to hate on me,” she snapped sarcastically, giving him a grin.

“Hey now, don’t hate me ‘cause I’m beautiful,” James teased, using his hands to showcase his face.

“If you’re gonna keep the poodle thing up, I’d watch your moneymaker,” Kate threatened, half-joking. James pretended to gulp, his hands going instinctively towards his face.

“You wouldn’t,” he faux-gasped. She grabbed her clear glass, half full with bubbling liquid, and strolled into the other room.

“I wouldn’t test her,” Kendall teased, walking into view.

“Where were you?” Kate asked as she took her spot on the couch. Kendall shrugged, sitting next to her.

“I was working on something, time got away from me.” It was true. He’d been working day and night to finish his plan, and he had only a little more than a week to finish.

“Working on what?” she asked curiously, oblivious of the looks the others exchanged. They were curious themselves, but only about how Kendall would cover.

“Just stuff for the show, and work,” he lied, and Kate raised her eyebrows suspiciously. Her sharp hazel eyes caught sight of a folded piece of paper in the breast pocket of his shirt; one of the many flannels he owned. It made Kate think of the red one that still sat in her apartment. As his eyes locked with hers, she reached for the blue paper, and had it in her hand for a few seconds before it was snatched back. She pouted as he shoved the now crumpled paper away from her reach.

“What is it?” she asked again, jutting out her bottom lip. Kendall took a few deep breaths, trying not to cave in. The others sent their silent will power to him, knowing how much the plan meant to him.

“You’ll see, eventually. I promise,” his voice got low, and he locked eyes with her. Slowly, the coldness in her eyes melted away, and she sighed.

“Fine. But I’ll hold you to that.” Before anyone could say another word, the doorbell rang out in three chimes. Carlos hopped up from the sofa, and returned minutes later with a pizza box.

“Start the movie,” Carlos insisted, nudging Logan with his elbow. Logan grudgingly got up, pushing buttons on their, in Kate’s opinion, overly fancy DVD player. She didn’t dare get near it, even after over a month of movie nights. If she was being honest, it intimidated her. She’d never been big on technology, and aside from a phone, I-pod, and computer, she was useless at decoding electronics.

The movie played, and three of the five people watched intently. The other two were watching, per se, but what they saw in their heads was much different than the comedy playing on the flat screen. Kate’s mind was distracted in thoughts and feelings; her stomach felt as if a million butterflies were trying to migrate away, but couldn’t. Kendall watched Kate from the corner of his emerald eyes, thinking of last minute touches for his plan. He found it hard to concentrate, however, on anything but Kate’s eyes or smile.

When the movie finished two hours later, neither could tell anyone what it had been about, the main characters’ names, or the actors playing them. They faked along as the others rambled on about some of the stupid jokes, or shoving a bite of pizza in their mouths when a direct question was asked. The others had a feeling of what was going on, but all were sworn to secrecy. Life, they thought, would be much easier if one of them would make a move already, instead of this little game they played. The way they’d steal glances, Kate would gnaw on her lip, or Kendall would rub his palms together.

The inevitable was going to happen between them. The electricity that hung in the air predicted as much. The moment was approaching, the plan already half in action. Now, all that they needed was to wait, and when the time came, react.
♠ ♠ ♠
Honestly, I'm not sure how I feel about this. If I'm being honest, it's a bit fillerish. What do you guys think?

So, there's only gonna be a few more chapters of this, but there will be a sequel. I'm still working on the name, but as soon as I know, you will too(:

As always, comments, subscriptions, and readers are appreciated. We're up to three stars, that's crazy! So thank you all for the support.

xxxo, Sara