Sequel: Promise Me This
Status: Complete(:

This One's For You

Wishes

The music faded away, cheering erupted, and the magic was, like always, broken. However, it still held something over Kate, for she couldn’t find it in herself to move, or speak. Kendall turned towards her, gave a soft smile, and shrugged. Kate managed to return the smile, letting out a small breath. She was almost afraid to move, for fear she’d wake up. Luckily, the boys bid their final goodbye to the audience then ran over to her.

Kendall approached her slowly, and she managed to stand up, if a bit shaky, and meet him halfway. Carlos, Logan, and James tried to spy inconspicuously, lurking around, pretending to be putting instruments away. Kendall rubbed the back of his neck, his tongue searching for the words to say. When he was singing, life was so much easier. Kate looped her thumbs in her back pockets, trying to sort through her scrambled mind; Kendall had that effect on her.

“Did you mean it?” she asked softly, glancing up at him, then back down at her black gladiator sandals, afraid of his reply.

“Every word. Granted, I didn’t write it, but it’s what I needed to say. Kate, I love—“ Kendall started, but Kate cut him off, pressing her pointer finger to his soft lips.

“Don’t say that yet. Those words aren’t meant to be thrown around, and I want you to make sure you really mean it. However, that song, what you did right there, that was possibly the sweetest thing anyone’s ever done for me,” Kate rambled, her eyes turning glossy as they met with Kendall’s. He pulled her into a hug, taking in the familiar citrus-y smell that was Kate.

“C’mon,” he whispered as he pulled away. He made sure his fingers interlaced with his before he said another word.

“Where are we going?” she asked, tilting her head to the side. Kendall bit his lip mid-smile, tugging her along with him. He grabbed his gray beanie, pulling it secure with his free hand, then led Kate through the back way, away from the screaming fans. With his head down, hand tightly fused with Kate’s, he wove carefully through the thinning crowd, until they stood before the massive wheel.

Kate gasped, her free hand covering the perfect ‘o’ her lips made. If it hadn’t been for Kendall gently leading her into the green colored pod, she probably wouldn’t have moved. They sat close, and as their ascent began, Kendall’s arm fell around Kate’s shoulder. She curled into him, her head on his shoulder, watching the people and rides grow microscopic beneath them.

“Kate?” Kendall said, his voice a raspy whisper. Kate looked up at him with her big eyes, the same smile still remaining on her lips.

“What’s up?” she murmured, one hand resting on his chest, the other wrapped around his back.

“Would you consider doing me an honor, and being my girlfriend?” his voice was soft, and a bit unsure. He watched her features carefully, but didn’t expect what happened next. She lifted her face higher, gently placing her lips against his. He could feel the sparks dancing where they met, but it instead of fiery burns, it was a pleasant, tingling warmth.

“Does that answer your question?” she whispered in his ear as she pulled her head back to his shoulder. He grinned down at her, cheeks flushed.

“I don’t think so. You might have to show me again.” They laughed, and he pulled her tighter against him. They were nearing the top of the wheel, and it stopped to allow more people on. Kate cuddled close to his chest, taking in the cinnamon smell. They both looked up at the stars, thanking them for the wishes come true.

***


“Happy birthday, Katherine!” Jesse greeted Kate, pulling her inside his front door. Kate laughed, nearly tripping over the doorstep. He led her to the kitchen, where Jay, James, Carlos, Logan, and Kendall all stood, wearing cheesy black and neon blue paper hats. Jesse forcefully set one atop her head as well, despite the playful glare it earned him.

As Kate looked around, she felt her heart melting again that weekend. There were pale yellow streamers, her favorite color, laced across the ceiling. The table was set fancifully, steam billowing from the pasta in the middle. The fragrance of it struck her, making her mouth water. Her eyes caught on a stack of brightly wrapped boxes on another side table, but for once, she had no objection.

“Sit down at the head of the table, birthday girl, and let’s eat,” Jay squealed, wrapping her arms around Kate in a warm embrace. Kate laughed, doing as she was told. The meal was dished out, and there was no silence. The buzz of conversation and laughter filled through the air.

“So, how was the concert?” Jesse asked, wrapping some noodles around his stainless silver fork. Kendall and Kate exchanged a smile; while Jesse had been at the fair, he and Jay missed the performance. Carlos, Logan, and James all turned to the newly minted couple.

“Well, I think it was the best birthday gift ever,” Kate said softly, reaching to intertwine her fingers with Kendall’s. Jay’s face lit up, and her hands covered the ‘awe’ escaping her lips. Jesse’s eyebrows shot up, and he looked at the others for clarification as to what happened.

“They’re dating,” Carlos said, point blank. Jesse blinked a few times and Kate and Kendall watched to gauge his reaction.

“Well, it’s about damn time,” he muttered, shoveling another bite of Alfredo into his mouth. Another round of laughter filled the room, and Kate felt herself blushing a bit.

The main course was finished, and Carlos helped Jesse clear the table. Kate never let go of Kendall’s hand, and they sat, gazing into each other’s eyes. James and Logan exchanged gagging faces behind them. Jay ran into the kitchen to pull out the cake, a chocolate one she’d baked herself. The lights were dimmed, and the candles lit. The soft melody of singing filled the air.

“Make a wish,” Kendall murmured into Kate’s ear, watching her lovingly as the flickering gold light engulfed her features. She looked at him, the soft smile she’d worn all night growing larger.

“You know,” she whispered, looking around at all of the familiar faces of the people she loved so much. All in one room, singing and smiling, here for her. “I think I have everything I want, right here.”

Still, she squeezed her eyes shut, and thought of a wish. A wish that everything would stay like this, forever. Quickly, she blew out the tiny flame, and the second the room was dark, Kendall kissed her softly. A cheer erupted, and the lights were turned back on.

Jesse and Jay started to cut and pass out the cake and ice cream. Kate watched as Carlos and Logan argued over who ate first. James was trying to eat the melting mint chocolate-chip ice cream with a fork. Jay smeared frosting across the bridge of Jesse’s nose, and he chased her around the kitchen, trying to return the favor. But Kate’s favorite sight, by far, was when she glanced to her right, where she was met by sweet, soulful, jade eyes, that looked at her like she was the only person in the world that mattered.
♠ ♠ ♠
The last chapter!!! Thank you so much, to all of you, for all of the support you've given me with this story. It means so much to me, and I cannot thank you enough.
Also, there will be a sequel, Promise me this. The info for it should be out shortly. So, subscriptions and comments on that would be appreciated.
Kate and Kendall's journey is far from over, so make sure to check out the next one!!!
xxxo, Sara