Status: Here we go !:D

The Summer List

Betrayed and Dismayed

I looked around, realizing it was getting lighter. "Crap," I said as I saw the sun begin to peek over the horizon, "Mom is going to be so mad." Alice and Jori looked at me with concern etched into their features. "I think I need to go. . ." I stretched as I stood, my muscles stiff from sitting on the beach all night.

I smiled as I thought of the night before; had it actually happened? I didn't want to think the word, for fear of jinxing it. But maybe, just maybe, I had made. . .friends. I couldn't keep a small grin off my face as I rolled over in bed, having sneaked in only hours before.

I had almost fallen asleep when I heard my mom tromping up the stairs. She opened the door, slamming against my wall in the process. Luckily, there was already a doorknob hole from the million times she had done it before. "Hey Charlie." She mumbled, rearranging the icepack on her head. I rolled my eyes at the use of her pet name for me, "I didn't hear you come home last night, what time did you get in?"

"Oh I'm not sure," I said nonchalantly, "It was kind of late."

I felt her eye me for a second in a moment of clarity, but then it was gone. "Oh, well I don't want you staying out late like that again." I nodded, as if I cared what she said and waited for her to leave. I had just laid my head down on the pillow again when mom turned around. "Oh and do you think you could find something to do this afternoon? Andy's coming over and he doesn't like kids."

~*~


I was fuming, unable to even form words. Who was she to kick me out of my own house? What kind of mother would pick a one-night stand over her own daughter? I sent a stone flying with my shoe. Apparently my mom is. I thought wistfully.

I soon found myself at the beach where Jori, Alice and I had talked the night before. Sitting in the sand filled me with a strange nostalgia and a biting loneliness.

When I couldn't stand it any more, I yanked my phone from my bag and stared at it, wondering what to do next. I flipped the ancient thing open and dialed Alice's number. I paused for a moment, asking myself if I was really brave enough to call. When I decided I was, I pushed the send button and waited; six rings before it went to voice-mail. I flopped back onto the sand, having all my hope worn out.

I closed my eyes and rubbed my temples. Surely she wasn't ignoring me. . . No. Something must have came up. I sat up again and pushed a couple buttons on the phone. This time the phone tried to connect with Jori's. When it went straight to voice-mail I took the phone and threw it as far as I could, which regrettably wasn't that far. Sighing, I stood and walked over to where the device lay in the sand.

As I stooped over to grab the wretched thing, I heard a group of people approach me. My heart sunk as I saw a group of kids from my school approach. Four boys--all members of the football team--and their girlfriends--all cheerleaders (of course)--sauntered over, eying me viciously. I started to walk away, but they caught me. "What do you think you're doing on our beach?" One of the girls asked maliciously.

"Excuse me?" I asked, already in a foul mood.

The girl, Adrea I think her name was, started to reply but her boyfriend stepped in. "What she meant to say is that you had better leave before we make you."

I grinned wolfishly at him, "Is that so. Was that a threat I heard? Eight on one doesn't seem very fair."

They began to advance when the fourth boy, one I'd only ever seen once before, spoke up. "Guys come on, this part of the beach isn't even that good anyway. Let's head further down."

Kyle, the one who had threatened me first, narrowed his eyes at the other boy. "Fine." He took a step forward and slammed his fist into the other boy's arm. "Ha, oops."

I rolled my eyes as they walked away, the girls giving me particularly dirty looks. I had almost turned away myself when I caught sight of the unknown boy looking at me. His eyes held a look almost like he wanted to apologize; I turned away before I could care.
♠ ♠ ♠
Not the best chapter, sorry guys. Drop a line for my awesome co-authors, at least? <3
Thanks again to everyone who has commented, subscribed and followed the story so far :)
~*S*~