Mr Thompson's Pub and Cabaret

June 14th

People were changing their opinions of Brendon, and fast. It started to make him feel uncomfortable. He used to be the hero. He was a no one who was making himself a someone. He was giving all the dancers and musicians hope that there were people who could stand up against Vera.

Now he was just another one of Rodger's favorites. He was just like Vera. They were giving up on him. But not only that; they thought the cabaret was changing and blamed it on both of them.

He had walked in on Ryan, Jon, and Spencer talking about how they had good feelings about him, but he'd let them down. When they saw him, they stopped talking and stared until he walked away. Now he was ignored constantly. He thought there would have been someone on his side, but he was mistaken.

Ryan, of all people, would have accepted the change, right? He had a chance to get his songs into the show now. But with all of the things being said about him, it was hard to believe that anyone would talk to him.

Now he knew how it felt to be Vera Beau.

After the bar was closing, Vera pulled him aside when he was beginning to walk home. At first it had nearly given him a heart attack because Mr. Thompson's Pub & Cabaret wasn't in the best of neighborhoods. He was almost relieved it was her. Until he saw the look on her face.

"Do you see what you're doing?" she asked, raking a hand through her hair. "God, no one liked me in the first place. I didn't need your fucking help! I spent all my life learning to dance, taking voice lessons, working up to get to this position. And when I got here? I didn't just open my mouth and sing to get where I am. Unlike you, I had to work for it. I don't know what he sees in you, but all I see is some kid who's getting everything handed to him," she growled, and it was almost like a verbal slap in the face, because Vera didn't know. She didn't understand how hard he'd worked. But at the same time, that made him realize that Vera and he weren't that different after all.

"Do you want to go out sometime?" he asked, smiling at how fast her facial expressions had changed.

"What? Have you been listening to a word I said?"

"I have. You can beat me up over a slice of pizza or something."

"I..." She shook her head and sighed. "Fine. But you better hope to god this goes well," she threatened, pointing a finger in his direction before turning away.

People hated him already, so what was he loosing by this? He wouldn't get on Rodger's bad side by going through with this, and he wasn't getting on any better terms with anyone else any time soon. Besides, this was his oppertunity to find out if Vera was as fake as Jon tried to convince him she was, or if there was a real person besides all the makeup and lace. And if there wasn't, he'd have something that most guys never got, which was also a lesson he'd learned through the cabaret.

He didn't like the fact that he was becoming everyone's enemy, but he had learned the necessary lessons, and he could build on that.

He could thank them later.