Another Day, Another Hotel

Boogie Wonderland

We’re waiting around in the green room type area at the venue for the ONE show we have to play in this godforsaken city. We had to fly all the way out here for ONE show, and I’m quite bitter about it, but Adrienne told me to stop bitching about it. Anyway, we were dropped off about an hour and a half earlier than we were supposed to be, so we’re just hanging around in the green room.

“Don’t push me, ‘cause I’m close to the… edge,” Mikey breaks out into what one would assume is a Jersey white boy version of hip-hop dancing.
“What the fuck?” Mike says looking at him out of the corner of his eye.
“We were watching “Happy Feet” in the bus,” Gerard says, punching Mikey in the side, making him sit down.
“Happy Feet,” I laugh. God knows I saw that damn movie enough to last me a life time, what with Jakob being so into penguins and shit.
“It’s a good movie,” Iero whines. Everything he says is in a whine. Ugh.
“I didn’t say it was,” I say. “And stop whining.”
“I didn’t whine,” he, you guessed it, whined.
“Yeah, okay.” I say. “So I take it Grandmaster Flash is your heartsong, Mikey?”
We all laugh.
“Oh yeah,” he says.
“Well, my heartsong would have to be ‘Prodigal Son”,” Gerard says.
“You are such a Maiden whore,” Mike says, getting up and fishing around on the table of food that was provided for us.
“My heartsong would be….” Tre stops midsentence to think.
“We don't’ want to know what your heartsong is,” Adrienne says. Everyone else agrees.
“What’s yours?” Gerard says, pointing to me. I think for a minute, before coming up with an idea. I clear my throat.
“I remember all my life, raining down as cold as ice, shadows of man, a face through the window, crying in the night, the night goes into morning. Just another day, happy people pass my way, looking in their eyes, I see a memory, I never realized how happy you made me.”
I get blank stares, so I continue with the chorus.
“OH MANDY! You came and you gave without taking, but I sent you away!”
Everyone laughs, especially Adrienne, who’s doubled over. I know how much she hates that song.
When everyone calms down, Gerard says,
“That is even funnier if you’ve seen a certain spin off show.”
Mikey nods, laughing into his hand.
“I’m going to pretend I don’t know what you’re talking about,” I say.