Another Day, Another Hotel

Reunited

"I can't believe you guys are here!" I say backing away from Adrienne. I'm ecstatic. "You didn't say you were coming or anything."
"We wanted to surprise you," Jakob says, attaching himself to my leg.
"We don't get to stay for a long time though," Joey half-pouts. " 'Cause of school." Joey hates school.
"Yeah, but you get to visit for a couple of days," Adie smiles, hoping to cheer him up. I figure he's been mopey the whole trip.
"A couple of days," I say, ushering them into the room. "That's good."
"Yeah, Anna said she'd pick them up on Monday and take them to your mom's," Adie says pulling her suitcase inside the room. Ah, Anna, my ever-reliable big sister.
"I wish we could just stay with her," Jakob, climbing onto the bed nearest the window.
"Me too," Joey says jumping onto the bed and knocking Jakob off.
"Hey!" he yells. "Mama!"
"Please not now," she looks sideways at Joey. "Please don't harass him." Joey gets on the other bed to sulk and I say,
"So I take it you're staying longer?"
Adie smiles and starts to say something when there's a loud bang on the door across the hall. I hear Tre-giggles and figure they're up to no good.
"I figure I'll stay as long as they'll let me," Adie says moving over to look through the peephole on the door.
"Daddy, Daddy," Jakob says going to his little suitcase. "I made you a picture on the airplane." He pulls out a folded piece of paper and hands it to me, beaming.
"It's Joey sleeping on the airplane, 'cause I was next to him and that's what he was doing."
Joey jumps off the bed he's been sitting on and comes over to look at the picture.
"I didn't say you could draw me," he says trying to grab the picture away from me. I think sensing an impending fight, Adrienne says
"I'll be right back," and slides out the door. I kneel down and say,
"Come here, you guys," and hug them tightly. I missed them so much. We curl up on the bed after I put Jakob's picture on the nightstand and chat about their trip, what the pane ride was like, what we were going to do for the time they were there.
"Well, its going to be a lot of riding on a bus," I tell them. "We're going to be in three different cities over the next three days."
"Before we get back to San Francisco?" Joey asks.
"Yeah, then Anna will take you?" I say, hoping they know more about the plans than I do.
"That's what mom says," he replies. "I think its so unfair she gets to stay but I don't."
"She doesn't have to go to school," I say pushing Jakob's hair off his face. I notice he's fallen asleep.
Adrienne returns with a Dr. Pepper and bag of Skittles.
"Mike says we could probably put our unimportant luggage on the bus now," she says crawling next to Jakob.
"Okay," I say peeling him off my side and staggering over to their luggage. "I'll take these down. I haven't been outta the room yet today."
Adie laughed. I missed her laugh so much. I missed everything about her.