Status: Active. Updates may be slow.

Behind Enemy Lines

10. Admittance.

-x-

CC-

The first thing that runs through my mind when I see Celeste for the first time is that she looks different. Grainy quality is something of a disadvantage when you're trying to really see every little thing about person. A file does little to help the matter either. I was pretty sure she had read through a minimal list that served as a dossier on her end. This was something extraordinary.

She was standing close to me, she stumbled her way over and it was something I almost expected. This was a surprise – one I had been hoping to happen a couple of months ago but she was a hard girl to track when I had only had the university's address to go on. I couldn't exactly snoop and dig into her record though her communication's professor had been around on the day when I made the trip to the school and informed me how interesting it had been to look through some of the details that she had during the course of the assignment.

It had been weird to think that the fact that I was even here started with some sort of assignment of any kind. It was foreign to me. I went to the local high school and was tutored by the ladies at the orphanage but I didn't ever think a big school like that was ever in my future. I was thinking about it now, even after taking a few weeks to track down this graduate down. I had of course had more training in other areas that you probably wouldn't get in a four year college no matter if it was one of the elite ones or not. I could say that was impressive, but I also thought it was scary that people decided to go far from their family in order to get a piece of paper.

Celeste was one of those brave people. Granted, she wasn't super far from her family but as I had been clued in early on there was more disadvantages during her four years when it came to holidays. One of our first nights chatting late (for her, early for me) was during a holiday weekend. I didn't really know how the dynamics of a family worked not having experience myself with one of my own.

However, one thing I did do before making my way here to this city, and to Celeste ultimately was go back to the place I once called home. I had gotten a few care packages from the misses and the younger kids while I was gone and as I was doing now I had surprised them. It had been a bittersweet hello and goodbye again to my old home.

As Celeste suggested that we go outside for a walk and privacy which she was going for in truth I had to answer a question that I still wasn't sure about. "What are you doing here?" She paused briefly as we stepped down the small set of steps that I took slowly when I stopped my truck just inside the driveway out of the way of anyone who would need to drive through. "Wait, how did you know I was here?"

I laughed at her utter confusion but answered them carefully. "I wanted to see you and I kind of bumped into Addison at NYU. She was there for some reason. Didn't she graduate with you?"

I could see that she was thinking on it. It was clear that Addison had at least been in contact with her "bestie" as she had referred to her the last time we had crossed paths. Funnily enough she had also managed to slip me her number. I didn't really think of much of it at the time, but now I did find it a little odd but strangely enough very Addison like. She was a very confident woman and amusing.

"Yes…" She started slowly as we began to walk down the driveway and across to another set of doors which looked like another house that set only a few feet away from Jacobs' home. It was perhaps an attachment of what I had already briefly entered. We kept going around back to what appeared to be a very large field. There was a lot of flowers moving along in the breeze. It was strange to see that in a place like this. It was foreign in this city. It almost fit the people who occupied the space.

I had only met a few of the women but it seemed like something that was at the last kept up with. "I think she needed to gather a few documents and didn't want to pay for postage though I'm pretty sure the college could have taken care of that." She blinked as if trying to unwind some kind of puzzle that she didn't wholly understand. I smiled at her. It was fascinating to be in her presence and seeing how she works when she's well. "Your hair has gotten longer." She told me. I think it was more of a fleeting observation than anything else but it did make me reach up and touch the long hairs that got in my face.

I carefully pushed it out of my face. I was also in need of a good shave. "Yeah, know any good barbers in town?" I hadn't really gotten a look of anything in town as I was just trying to get to the house without little trouble.

As she opened her mouth to answer me, we heard another voice coming from the right side. A girl who couldn't have been no more than six. "Uncle Trevor could do it. He always brings his clippers everywhere."

"Sally." A sigh left Celeste's mouth just as an older woman that was not from the bunch of people that I had already been somewhat introduced to already, yelled "SALLY MEREDITH JACOBS!" Then she sprinted out to us with a speed that didn't look normal for a woman of her age (she had graying hairs and red lips that had once tempted thousands of sailors in her day, "What have a told you about leaving the house without telling me?" She had placed a hand on the girl's shoulder in a manner that was stern but not forceful. She looked more shaken than absolutely upset that the girl was out here. She looked up at me briefly, "Hello. Sorry this isn't the best way to welcome you to my sister's home but you did surprise us. My name is Eden McLarens. I'm Sally, here's grandmother and Celeste's aunt. Did I hear the word haircut?"

Celeste didn't look as put out now that her Aunt Eden was standing there. I had a feeling that it made her nervous when kids were without their parent or guardian. I made a note to inquire about that later if I thought it was important. Maybe it was.

She was smiling at her aunt as she nodded, "He's in need of one. I was just going to take him down to Stan's but I forgot that Uncle was here too. Sundays are a big day." She told me, making sure to look at me as she said the last bit. I nodded, family was a big part of her life. I was getting that. It shouldn't surprise me as much. I was nearly blind-sided by the fact that there were so many women just at the door.

"I'll go tell him about it while you two finish talking." Eden gestured with a shooing motion before she took the younger girl by the hand who was giggling as they headed back to the house.

"Question: Why were there so many women lurking in the front when I was waiting on you?"

This seemed to amuse Celeste as she just laughed. "It should be obvious but I don't exactly bring guys around here. Nor does one come….calling exactly."

I almost asked why that was but I didn't feel like it would really help much so I just nodded. Added it to the list of things we could discuss when we had more time on our own. I didn't think that Sundays were the days for that. Sundays were a big day, I smiled at her as we continued on our walk.

It was quiet but I liked it. It was strange but I felt something almost peaceful by just walking side by side with Celeste. We knew next to nothing about each other but I felt comfort in this small act.

I knew that she wanted to ask more and I had plenty of questions I wanted to know but that could be reserved for later. I did have an idea of what I wanted to do here. Perhaps she could help, a little. This was her home after all.

-x-


CJ-

My mouth felt dry. Even still now as I tried to occupy my time with more coding and web mastering for the client I had been working on before Cameron had made a sudden appearance. I had to leave him in back room that was used as a hair salon and powder room on occasion. I could probably tell you that my family was rich, but that would be a lie. It was something that my great grandfather thought his wife needed when he was still living. It was never changed and therefore we found some use for it on days like this when there was some kind of need for that.

I was anxious and surprised that my mother hadn't tried to bug me about the fact that suddenly the soldier who had sent me flowers on my graduation day decided to suddenly pop up and visit me. I was grateful that she was busying herself with tonight's dinner which apparently Cameron had also been invited to attend. There were many aunts and cousins inquiring that my mom had told him he was staying and that he could decline but she didn't think he had a home cooked meal in about a solid year.

I don't think even the most irritated sergeant could argue what that kind of logic. Then there was the cobbler that my Aunt Eden had made earlier that was warming. My aunt made the best desserts but her cobblers were heaven, especially if served a la mode. I grew up eating it and learning that it was reserved for special occasions. I don't know if this served as one but it might as well had.

Cameron had become a topic of discussion. I could practically hear all the sighs of wistfulness coming from the living room where everyone was settled around the TV, it was background in comparison to the conversation that I could hear. It was almost like being in the middle of men during football season taking bets except less rowdy. In a way they were bets being taken. I had slipped in my headphones at this point and put on an instrumental playlist that I preferred than songs that featured vocalists.

It helped me work and keep focus better than anything I might sing along to. I had been caught a few time singing. I could admit I wasn't the greatest of singers but I did like to jam sometimes.

It had be a good half an hour before I lost focus again from the task at hand. Only because one of my earbuds came out of my ear and I slid my gaze over to see who was hovering close to my shoulder, nearly pressed against it.

I had to stop myself from overreacting to the fact that it was Cameron. He looked better when he was clean cut, though to be fair most men did. It was one of those things that women noticed. It was probably in a top ten list on the internet if I had to guess. I didn't really look at those however. I was too focused on my code and new technological things to be bothered with what was supposed to be common knowledge.

"Hi." I told him as he seemed to be focusing on what I was listening to. His eyes were closed for about a full minute before he said anything. They opened slowly and I was nearly hit with how much more beautiful they were up close when he looked at me. "What is this?"

"It's this violinist that I like. She's pretty cool. I get into a groove when I'm working if I'm listening to her or something like that."

He hummed. "What are you working?"

"You look nice." I blurted out before I could stop myself. I was thinking it of course, but I couldn't keep my mouth shut apparently. He just smiled at me. "Thank you. Your Uncle is pretty good. He wouldn't let me give him any money though. He would have been worth the wages."

"He considers it a favor for a friend of one of his favorite nieces."

There is a beat of silence before we both dissolve into laughter. I can almost feel the vibrations of his joyous noise before he straightens up and asks me again what I am working on. "It's just a site for a facial place. Nearly done, actually."

"Good, then we can go eat." I turned slightly so that we were both in each other view at least a little. "I'm supposed to be getting you for dinner. The table is set, I helped." He sounded so proud that I couldn't help but smiling again. I didn't know what to do with that really.

The smiling was a new thing that I wasn't used to doing too much lately. Everything had been so normal before he stumbled inside my life again. I was just working and moving and sleeping then getting up to do it all over again. It wasn't like this was some big occasion – his appearance but in some way it was.

I had no idea if I was ever going to see him again let alone hear from him. He gave me a small gift and I didn't know how to process it exactly. I wanted to touch him and hug him. Most importantly I wanted to thank him for being so wonderful when he had the chance to interact with me.

In retrospect I knew a lot of the things that could have taken place between the months that we hadn't spoken. One being a rather sad fact that I needed to erase from my memory. I had thought about it though. He could have ended up like the friend he vaguely mentioned in one of his letters. The one who had been killed. It was this thought alone that had made me hop down from the chair that I was sitting in, and just kind of stare at him briefly before asking. "This might be a strange request but I would like to hug you…"

That certainly wasn't the way it was phrased in my head. It was out there and he had been quiet, listening intensely as I spoke. I noticed he did that whenever I was talking. Waiting for his opening, being sure that everything was said before he did anything.

"Of course." He trailed off as he opened his arms up.

It certainly wasn't like how it was in the movies. There wasn't some kind of dramatic moment. That wasn't what we were. There was no lost love here. There was no love that I knew of. That would probably make this ten times more awkward. I had thought of him often but I didn't know how I perceived him. I liked Cameron a lot but that was as far as I had got with my thoughts about him and our friendship.

I slipped into the space that he created for me and slowly circled my arms around his waist. He was thinner than I thought he was but he also had the muscle that I expected from someone who had just gotten out of the military. His arms came and wrapped around me pulling me tighter into his chest.

It almost felt like slow dancing without the movement and the music behind it. That was the first sign that should have clued me in, but I took the hug as it were to me in the moment. It was something real and tangible and needed.

I whispered in his shoulder, knowing that he could hear it even with all the commotion coming from the other room. "Thank you."

He didn't disappoint in asking me, "What am I saying you're welcome for?"

I turned my face a little and peered up at him. "Well, everything I suppose. I am honestly unsure as to why you decided to come here. You said for me but I don't know what that means. I was honest when I said guys didn't come here for me. I don't really do much, but I wanted to thank you for the letters." I caught myself before I said something awfully soppy that made him think that I was declaring my love for him or something like that.

"I enjoyed those a lot." I said instead, having stepped out of his embrace but staying close enough that he knew I wasn't trying to slip away from him. I think the one thing I knew for sure was that I didn't want to be away from him right now. I liked this feeling that I had right now.

He was refreshing.

"I did too." He admitted. "This is going to sound very Dear John of me," I laughed at him knowing that was probably one of the more unmanly things he could have said and he made a face that made realize just how spot on about that I was. "However, I think your letters came at the right time. Especially when my friend left." He spoke in hushed tones. I nodded, understanding why he chose to do so. There were some things that didn't needed to be shared with others.

"You're welcome." I said instead.

Before we could try to share another moment of privacy Sally came running in. "Celeste, hurry up. I'm hungry and they won't stop without you and your friend!" She stomped for added effect.

Cameron being the nice man that he was apologized to Sally before we followed her through the hallways past the living room and kitchen to the large table where everywhere was sitting.

They had left two spots side by side for the two of us near my mother who was at the head of the table.

Cameron pulled out my chair for me and then we sat down, said a small word of thanks and then began eating. The chatter filled the table, questions being thrown at him and I watched quietly as he was quick on his feet answering some of the more basic questions and dodging a few that he couldn't answer.

There was one question that had us sharing a glance and he was dished by the same uncle who had given Cameron a haircut. Trevor. He asked:

"How long will you be staying?"

I smiled at him encouragingly but eagerly awaiting his answer as well. We hadn't gotten around to talking about much as of yet. He had had time to think of it though, it seemed for he answered calmly. "Awhile."
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you like it.
Please let me know what you think :)