Status: Active. Updates may be slow.

Behind Enemy Lines

03. Thoughts of a Random Mind.

I had done minimal drinking the night before with Addison which made me extremely happy that it was Friday and I only had one class today. I know I was serious about my classes and the work I did for it each semester, but it didn't mean I wasn't excited to get a break during the weekends.

I woke up to my alarm clock beeping irritatingly and went about my morning routine with a little grogginess. It took me until my professor for graphic design began the lecture for me to pull out of my stupor.

Only did I pull out of the fog that usually stayed until I had some sort of caffeine in my system. The thing was that I loved this class a lot. It was always a fun break from my more difficult courses. Plus it helped with it being a part of my major; art.

It was funny in a way when I thought about it. Most people probably thought of art as either paints or drawings on sketch paper or canvases but as science geeks and scientist theorists have said before, "technology is going to take over the world one day."

I am a firm believer of this statement. Just look at the kids who weren't even in high school let alone college, they were always attached to their phones. Think about what they do at home on their down time when they're not out and about. More than likely they are doing something on the computer.

I figured it would be more of an embracing thing for me given my love of web design and graphics in general. That's the way I thought about it anyhow. Everyone was subjected to their own opinion on the matter.

I sat there in awe as I watched my professor giving an example of the next project we would be working on in the next couple weeks. As the hour grew on and she moved to other topics of discussion I found myself getting more excited about it all.

I left a couple hours later once we were dismissed and decided to take a walk around the campus just so I wouldn't head straight back to my dorm. It was considerably early still. I'd most likely take a nap when I got back there. I was more awake but still tired at the same time.

While on my walk I remembered that I had to respond to Cameron's letter as well. I'd do that and put it in the mail box before heading up for a nap.

I found a secluded space where there was a free bench-table available and pulled out the stationery that I had inside there with a few spare stamps and envelopes. I came prepared when I felt it was necessary.

I had written down his questions earlier before going to class. I'm not even sure if I was aware of it exactly. I just did it as an afterthought.

I pulled out the scrap of paper that I had them on and looked them over before beginning the letter.

Hello again,

This might be a bit of a random way of beginning my reply to you, but have you ever thought about how big technology has gotten over the years? I mean it really occurred to me today while in my graphic design class. I was musing about it, I suppose.

I think I'll answer your questions first.

What was my childhood like? Well, it was fairly normal as far as I can remember. I spent most of the time at my mom's art studio doing mediocre paintings that she still has til this day. I lived life normal I guess. I mean it had to be as normal as one gets with an artist as your mother and without your dad. I'll get to that story in a moment in your next question.

My family? I'm an only child but I have many cousins who I talk to sometimes. But nothing exactly as close as a sibling would be. I think that's why I do have a best friend. Again, I'll get to that later. As for my family. Like I said I still have my mom and her sisters and brothers who of course are my family too. My dad died when I two, Mom told me about him over the years. From what I know he was a cook in an Italian restaurant and they had a strange relationship but it worked up until the accident where he died on a pretty stormy night. I don't know all the facts because she doesn't like to talk about it so I've never pushed her about it. Someday perhaps she might tell me. Or I could just as one of my aunts, I suppose. I haven't really dwelled on it too much.

That's me, I don't like thinking about the past or sad things, I live in the moment for the most part. But I'm probably one of the more boring people you'll ever know.

Who’s your best friend? My best friend's name is Addison. I met her in high school and we've pretty much inseparable. She my opposite basically. Addison is very bubbly and has lots more friends and I think she'd be considered popular but I like her. I have to to be her friend, right? She's awesome though.

Do you have a boyfriend I should be weary of? This question made me laugh when I first read it and it still makes me giggle. But no, I don't have a boyfriend. Yeah, so that's that.

What scares you? I'm going to try my best to stay away from any stereotypical answers here. But horror films and really at the end of it all being alone. I just don't like thinking that could happen. Maybe it's ridiculous. Maybe it's that part of me that doesn't enjoy being sad for even a little bit but ultimately does, I don't know. It's just scary.

And lastly how are you? Right now as I'm writing this outside on a bench-table thing, I'm content. I'm a little tired but that's my normal. I don't ever feel well rested. So I'm gonna end this answer before I start rambling again and said, I'm good.

Now that I've answered those I guess I could go into ramble mode a bit. You don't mind, right? Well. What's the big deal with partying?

Welcome to the random yet not so random part of my mind. :D I went to a party last night against my own will. Addie (my nickname for Addison) dragged me to one since she decided to hang out with me and she felt that I wasn't doing anything worth while for her.

I drank a little. I don't like drinking but I do sometimes. I didn't get tipsy at all. But I had to drag Addison back to her dorm.

Anyway back to the true ramble, I don't get what the big deal with parties are. You go there, get wasted or watch people make complete fools of themselves then you go home only to be knocked out until the next day. I don't know about you but I think it's pretty stupid.

I'm not like everybody else if you hadn't already figured that out. I think a lot.

It could be bad for me later on later on in life but I'm good with untangling the webs of my mind when it gets messy.

I think this would be a good time to address the things you told me about yourself. First I've got to say I honestly didn't expect half of what you told me about your life. I just don't hear things like that on a daily basis. You're very inspiring. You can take that how you want but I'm telling you it's a good thing. Is it bad that expected you to be different?

Probably so. Poor early judging on my part. It comes with the fact that I didn't know much about you. But I know more than I expected to learn by the first round of letters. I think that's an accomplishment in itself.

Questions for you: Be honest, what's it really like there? I don't want to get you in trouble but tell me without stating any specifics if that makes sense. I'm merely curious. What kind of music do you like? How are you? Fun question: What's your fondest memory?

Take care soldier. :)

-C.


I put my pen down and flexed out the muscles in my left hand. My hand was definitely sore from that. But I enjoyed what writing it. That was all that mattered.

I took a moment to take in my surroundings before folding up the papers that I had written my letter on and placing them inside the envelope. I went ahead and wrote all the information I needed to put on the envelope and then put the stamps on it.

As I got up with the envelope in hand I stretched. I had been sitting much longer than I originally anticipated.

I went from there to the post office and drop it off, smiling. I wonder when the next one would come and when I did what would more would I learn about the intriguing Cameron Caine.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you so much for the few who have taken interest in this story. I'm sorry it's taken so long for an update. Though I did warn that updates would be slow. Haha I hope you like it all the same. Feedback may encourage me to get more of this written so please don't be shy. And share it with your friends if you like!
<3
~fictionsymphony