Status: Active. Updates may be slow.

Behind Enemy Lines

04. New Communications & Gifts.

Holidays are different for everyone. Some like to take time off to be with the ones they love or time away from their rough job and just relax. It's different for me however. I don't get to go home. Not for something as small as a weekend.

I know what you're thinking. Celeste, how are you okay with this? If you were in front of me I'd probably just shrug my shoulders and tell you that it's nothing serious. I wouldn't be lying at all. I wasn't too fond of going home for the holidays. This was just a random university break/weekend anyway. It wasn't anything too special.

I spent my break doing things I loved. Tonight, I was planning to watch a couple of my favorite "patriotic" films. It was an odd thing that I did over the four years I've been attending. That way I could waste time without really caring too much. There wasn't anyone here to talk to anyway. Addie had went home.

I was waiting for another letter anyhow. That also could have triggered my need to watch these movies. Unconsciously I was reminded of my soldier friend; Cameron Caine.

Since my last letter I hadn't heard much. I was learning that a little patience was key when it came to these things. I lacked that trait a lot of the time. So, I was trying to not think too much about it. It would arrive soon.

I was currently on my second movie. Saving Private Ryan. Meg Ryan is one of my favorite actress, there isn't much of a surprise that it's on my list of movies for the night. I was almost finished with the movie when a knock came from the other side of my door. At first I turned to see if I wasn't hallucinating from the lack of human communication in the last twenty four hours but then another knock sounded and I paused the movie on my laptop and hurried over to the door.

There standing outside my door was a messenger dressed in tons of layers. The NYC cold did that to you. "Package for a Miss Celeste Jacobs." He muttered while looking down at the little device I assumed had his deliveries on it.

"That's me." I brightened up as he handed me the tiny pen/stylus to sign on the electronic device as he went through his satchel. He pulled out another one of those large brown enevelopes covered in tape and as I handed back his signing contraption he passed me the package. "Have a good night." He said before walking down the corridor.

"You too!" I called as I shut the door and smiled down at the heavy envelope in my hand. It had to have more than just pages of Cameron's letter in it. I went over to my desk for my envelope opener and opened it. Once again dumping all the contents out.

There were the pages of course, plus a box. Before touching it I grabbed the folded pages and walked back over to my bed to start reading them.

Hey Celeste,

Are you sure you're not a freaky genius in disguise? Your mind is a bit more interesting than mines I don't think much about those things. I have to admit you're right though. Our world is changing. Maybe one day we'll have to become friends with robots. Have you ever thought of that? Maybe you have!

I have a request for you but I'll get to it later when I'm done answering your questions. Okay, here we go.

What's it really like here in Afghanistan? I'm assuming that you know about the code of silence when it comes to certain matters. Well, it's okay here. It's not home as you know I don't really have a home in the states but I've got accustomed to this life. That's the honest truth.

What kind of music do you like? I'm a fan of many genres but rock music probably gives me most energized feeling. It keeps my adrenaline pumping. It's sort of like a soundtrack for action movies but it's real.

How are you? I was going to save this question for last but I like to go in order as do you I noticed. I'll be honest it's been a bit of a rough couple weeks since my last letter. I lost someone close to me. I can't say anything about it as you know but I'm fine. Thanks for asking.

The fun question. What's your fondest memory? I didn't have to think much about this one. It made me smile in fact. So thank you for that. Do you remember when I told you about my time in the orphanage? Well I met my best friend around that time too. He wasn't an orphan but we met the day I enlisted and we've been brothers ever since. We were that is. That was a hint. So meeting him was one of my favorite memories.

As for the request I have for you. If by the time you aren't too busy. You should be on a little break from your courses. I may have checked to be entirely sure. Would you like to chat with me on messenger? It would make me a little happier. If so. Here's my username: camcaine23.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Oh wait! The box is a little interesting thing I found. I thought you'd like you.

- Cameron


I looked over at the box and then over at my laptop which screen had the paused film still on it. I kept looking at the two before grabbing my laptop and going over to my desk and placing it there, signing onto messenger and adding him to my incredibly short list of buddies before grabbing the box.

As I opened it, I heard a ding from my laptop but I was stuck on the gift I had inside the box. It was a necklace with an interesting piece on it. It was a round piece of melded metal and what looked to be sapphires all in it, on it and around it. It short, it was beautiful.

I put it down as I sunk into my chair and looked at the blinking message from camcaine23.

camcaine23: hey there Celeste. How's your night going?

I just smiled before letting out a little sigh and shaking my head. I set my hands on the keyboard before beginning to type out a response.

My intrigue for this man was just growing. I wasn't sure if it would ever stop. Or would I want it to.
♠ ♠ ♠
I got some personal inspiration for this update. I have a soldier who I get to write to soon. He's very sweet. I hope you enjoyed this. I'll try to write more soon. :)

<3