Status: Active. Updates may be slow.

Behind Enemy Lines

05. The Beginning of the End.

I stayed up until 4 in the morning just messaging back and forth with Cameron. It was almost like his letters but shorter responses and a less of waiting time between answers. We didn't discuss anything that we already had talked about or rather anything that had been mentioned that we weren't supposed to discuss.

At the end of our chat he told me that I would have to send him back a letter because the next time I heard from him he would be in a new place and he wouldn't have much time to log onto messenger. They had their limitations being so far away from home. More importantly I felt, they were ultimately in a war zone.

His letter had been more than enough evidence of that. He was good at diverting my attention from thinking much about that, no matter how much I wish I could have slipped a question about it. There was another issue plaguing my mind: did they screen their mail and net history? In some light, it made sense. It also made me worry. What more hadn't I uncovered about these soldiers and how much would it effect the ones coming home.

I woke up with a smile the next afternoon. I was happy to not have to wake up too early for a class. I wouldn't have been up for it. I did feel refreshed, however. An air of contentment had surface within me as well. I wasn't exactly sure but I think it was as close to happiness I would get with being by myself.

I spent a couple hours catching up on a few of the emails I had gotten from back home--from my family. Most were short messages telling me how much they wish I had come home and hoping that I was doing just fine. Then there was a set of photos from my mother from a visit with my grandparents and meeting my new niece at my Aunt Elma's home. I smiled at those and asked her to tell her that she had some good genes and I would see them next time, hopefully. That was my wish.

I moved away from my laptop after that back to the open letter that still lay unanswered. I knew what I wanted to say but it was the matter of how it was received. Not everyone was okay with people being a comfort towards them while they were mourning a loss. I would accept it, I could only hope he would think of it as a friendly gesture.

I grabbed a few sheets of stationery and began writing again.

Cameron,

You're completely right about the robots taking over one day. I am firm believer of this! I think I'd be one of the techies helping making sure they didn't start an assassination on the human race. Not that I think with the right people behind them that would happen but, you never now. Maybe it's possible I've watched too many sci-fi movies about the future or the end of the world for that matter? I hope that isn't too bad of a thing to admit. I like being prepared for anything that's coming.

Speaking of ends of the world, do you think the zombie apocalypse will ever happen? If so, are you trained and equipped to protect yourself and possibly a civilian or two? :)

I understand completely. I don't have any family who've served but I've learned enough through school, the news and family discussion to know when to not divulge into government matters as much. I'll try my best to not go there at all.

I hope that what you're about to read next will be okay. I know what it's like to lose someone and mourn over them. From what I know about your friend - from what you've told me I know he was a wonderful person. All of you knew that when you left the U.S. that you were embarking on something bigger and most importantly dangerous. I'm not gonna turn into some condescending idiot but I feel as if I should tell you that I am truly sorry. I can imagine what you're going through but at the same time, I can't.

I'm not there but I am here - for you.

If I lost you somewhere in that mess where I was trying to be as delicate as I could considering the circumstances, I'm sorry then too. I'm not really that great at these things but all I can do is try, right?

I hope you're easing along better. I'm not sure how long it's been since it's happened but I think things will be okay for you. Or that's my hope.

To get into a bit of a lighter topic, I just saw a picture of my new niece. She quite adorable. I didn't go home obviously as I got your letter during my little holiday from school. You checked up on me, sir? I don't know whether to be extremely flattered or a tad bit creeped out by it. A bit of both, maybe?

I'm kidding.

I love what was in the box. It's beautiful. I don't know if I'll ever get to wear it but I will definitely keep it in a safe place. Thank you for sending it to me. It was a nice gesture. I do wish I had something cool to send you back. Hopefully I can some time in the future.

I only have one question this time around. I have a lot on my mind it seems. Q:

Have you thought of what you'll do when you come back after your tour?

Take care soldier.

- C.


I tossed my pen to the side and sighed, leaning back against my headboard. My eyes shut for a moment, I hadn't been lying when I said I had a lot on mind. Most of it concerned the very same soldier I had spoken to last night.

It was a strange feeling - caring about someone. I wasn't sure if that was what it was really. I had grounded down to empathy and I wasn't sure if it was more than that. Or if I wanted it to be. It wouldn't work, I knew. I wasn't exactly the perfect girl nor would I be worth the trouble. He was there too, he would be coming back though in a couple months I suppose.

I stopped myself before I got too far ahead. It was ridiculous. I didn't really know Cameron Caine and he didn't really didn't know me. We were just writing partners during the down time we both had. That had to be it.

For now, my little voice murmured.

I shook it away as I got ready to go out. I scribbled the addresses that were necessary on a new envelope and slipped the letter in it as I headed out the door. I could go out for dinner tonight. It beats another night stuck inside alone. My head would only make matters worse.

I stopped by the mailing office and slipped the now sealed envelope inside and went towards the parking lot where a taxi was waiting to take me to Wu Chang's for a meal I was sure to enjoy
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow! I was blown away by all you new readers, subscribers and commenters that I just had to write more. Once I got started it flew pretty easily. :)
Please let me know what you thought.I'll see you next time.
much love
- d.