Status: Active. Updates may be slow.

Behind Enemy Lines

07. First Glances.

It is probably best to start with the fact that I am currently not in the best of health's right now. Nor does it mean that anything has exactly changed. I've always been able to get sick, more easily than others sometimes. It is also good to note the fact that I am probably beyond behind in my school work.

It's a good thing this is one of the only times it has happened. I have gotten a bit of a reprieve from my three instructors because of it, too. They have been kind enough to send me notes and course work through ways of the internet and email.

Not everyone would agree that my sickness is a sad thing, Addison - my boy loving best friend has another idea of how my immune system decided to fail me once again. However, as she has stated several times this past week it has nothing to do with any bodily system trying to cause death upon me. She insists, it's because of Cameron and the video.

Before you ask no, I don't agree with nor did I even let her near my phone to glance at it. She took advantage of the one thing that everyone loves about being sick; the ability to sleeping more often than usual. It is usually a godsend but not this time around.

It had to be a day or so ago when I was woken from my warm haze of another throw of sleeping - a 103.2° temperature the last time I checked to a squealing best friend and my phone in her devious hands. She had been at my side when she wasn't in class or sharing body fluids (saliva mostly) with her prick of a boyfriend. I had been grateful for her care up until this moment where my head decided to throb a bit more than necessary.

"Addison if you don't give me my phone right now, I will find a way to murder you."

"Cameron sent you a video. Why didn't you share this with me? I'm taking care of you. I think this is something worth sharing." She insisted as she plopped down beside my side. I was currently swarmed with two blankets surrounding me to try to sweat out the fever. It only made me feel more heated, but I hadn't told her that.

I hadn't even called my own mother to discuss this little fact. Nor would I. She was like Addison in some ways. The slightest clue that I was remotely involved with anyone from the male species beyond a project was considered a very interesting piece of news. I wouldn't allow her to pry. Especially when there was nothing.

I had never seen him before. Not since the initial video. There was a package lying somewhere in the ten feet that formed the areas surrounding my bed. It hadn't been opened because I still wasn't feeling up to it.

"It didn't warrant any discussion. I had forgotten about it really." I moaned as I threw one of the blankets off of me. It was getting too unbearable for me under those. Addison put my phone down as she reached over and placed her cool hand against my forehead. It felt like I was lying on a bathroom floor, only I wasn't because she moved it away after a brief touch.

"You're still too hot! When was the last time you took any of the Motrin or ibuprofen?"

"When was the last time were you here?" I mumbled as tumbled out of the bed and hit the floor with a thud. I hear the bed creak as she leaned over it and peeked to make sure I was okay. "You shouldn't be moving? You need to rest."

"That's all I've been doing, Addy. Besides, I have to pee." I told her as I slowly clambered to my feet and slowly walked over to the small bathroom that was near my closet.

It doesn't really connect to my brain that Addison isn't one to take "invasion of privacy" to heart. If her constant need to be updating statuses on places like Twitter or Facebook was indication, I probably should have found a permanent place to hide things that have something near to important on them in it. Like my computer.

I let out a choked sigh as the only thing that I can feel in the air is uncomfortable-ness. It's almost like when there is something lodged in your trachea, it makes for you not to breathe as you should. It just fells strange and odd - all very wrong in a sense.

I do my business before walking over the sink to wash my hands and only after do I look into the small square that is supposed to be a mirror. It looks like a piece of plastic really. I closed my eyes as I turn the water back on and let my hands feel the coolness of it before splattering water across my face and parts of my hair with my hands.

I don't like good. My skin has turned a pale color that only comes with feeling utterly dreadful. I can feel droplets of the water as it falls around my face but it doesn't entirely bother me. I like it, even.

I turn the faucet off with a flick of my wrist and then go to turn the light off on way out. I trudge back over to my bed and sit on the edge only to get confused as I hear two voices nearly a few feet away coming from my desk.

I look up and lean on my feet nearly over exerting myself at this point and feel myself conflicted as I am faced with a sight. First Addison is definitely on my laptop and secondly that Cameron can be clearly seen with a smile on his face. It isn't a grainy image either, he looks perfectly fine.

As for my confliction I can't decide if I want to shut my laptop out of embarrassment at the fact that the first time we are getting even the slightest glances at each other is because I have a noisy best friend and I am sick - therefore not having been able to better prepare for this. Then I also want to push Addison out of my chair and start apologizing immediately for her behavior, it could have been overwhelming for him. Addison is anything but easy going. I'd call her more so overly enthusiastic.

As it seems he isn't in the leastest bit deterred by her. He answers her question of "Are you supposed to be on a computer right now?" He only says, "I can be, yes. Is it particularly smart that's up to interpretation." He has already seen me but gives Addison his first inclination by waving at me and saying my name.

Addison turns as if she's just been caught doing something like stealing a cookie which in light of circumstances she is doing something she isn't supposed to be doing. So that makes it plausible.

"How long have you been standing there?" She says as she giggles a little, she is feeling very awkward right now. It's slightly satisfying.

"Not too long." I tell her as I place my hand on her shoulder. She just smiles.

"Ah. That makes this a bit better then. I was telling this nice Leutiant a story about you...actually."

I started counting backwards from fifty in my head as I watched Cameron continue to watch in amusement as I kept my cool despite the fact I, myself wasn't sure if she had said anything particularly wrong. "Oh. Was it a good one?" I smiled at Cameron as he caught on to what I was doing.

"Yes. All my stories about you are good. You're really a good person ya know. That's why you're my best friend. My very ill best friend, right now." She ended somberly.

I hadn't even been thinking of that at the moment. I was trying to get her off the computer.

"Wait, you're sick Celeste?" Cameron asked quite quickly. I turned my attention to my still very not so good feeling bodily systems and nodded slowly before speaking a quite 'yes'.

"She has been for almost two weeks. I've been taking care of her you see. She actually should be in bed right now. She got up though to walk a bit. Though I told her she shouldn't. Surprised she hasn't keeled over yet."

•••

"Spoke to soon." Cameron stated as he watched Celeste sway a bit before she fell backwards. The only good thing about this was that she didn't land on the floor. Instead fell on a clump against the soft surface of her bed.

He immediately focused on Addison. "Check on her, please. Make sure she isn't in danger of needing to go the hospital. I'll try to check back soon."

"You are an absolute dear, Mr. Caine." She smiled before seeing him wave and then the connection severed. Addison gave herself a moment before going to do as the soldier asked.

She was already feeling like she could approve him for her best friend. However, there were more important matters than that to think of now. Celeste had just collapsed!
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello!
Has it been awhile? I hope this is received well. I had a fun time writing it, actually! The Golden Globes are about to come in a few hours so I'm about to sink my teeth into that. Very excited to Mr. Benedict Cumberbatch there. He is quite lovely. What do you think of this chapter?

Hope to update as soon as I can.
Thanks for reading!