Status: Slowly updating... Leave comments? :D

Another Teenage Drama?

28

My eyes fluttered open and the bright sunlight of the day surprised me once again. I turned over from facing Aidan’s empty space on the bed. I looked at his alarm clock which said that I had missed most of the morning, and part of the afternoon. It was two forty-eight. I slowly stood up, embracing the light headedness by balancing against his dresser. When my eyes adjusted I slowly walked down the stairs, listening for any sound of activity. I heard some footsteps and walked towards them. I went through the doorway into the kitchen and saw Aidan and Aidan’s dad sitting at the table under the window, both holding cups of coffee. Even in the lateness of the afternoon. They looked up when I walked in and I walked over to sit next to Aidan. I kissed him softly on the cheek before I sat down in the chair.

“Morning Sunshine.” Mr. Langly chirps from across the table.

“Morning.” I mutter.

“Still not awake?” Something like that.

“I guess so.” I chuckled to make him happy. Aidan grabbed my hand under the table, and rubbed his thumb over mine.

“Do you want some coffee?” Aidan asked.

“No thanks. I’ll just have a sip of yours, if ya don’t mind.” I smiled at him.

“I don’t mind sharing. Here.” He gave me his glass and I took a sip, instantly tasting the strong taste of coffee on my tongue. Disgusting but it’ll give me some energy I suppose.

“Ew.” I muttered.

“I forgot, you don’t do coffee do you?” Mr. Langly mentioned.

“Not usually, no. I enjoy energy drinks more. Even though they are more unhealthy for you. Or juice. I just don’t like the taste of coffee.” I said, grimacing at the thought of having to drink a full mug of the wretched stuff.

“I understand. For most it’s an acquired, if they ever like it. I know this one lady, who puts so much hot chocolate in it she can barely tell there’s coffee in it. And to this day she will never drink a Decaf cup of coffee in her life, because she drinks it purely for the caffeine.”

“Yeah, I get where she’s coming from.” I smiled slightly.

“Well, I leave you guys to go about your day,” Mr. Langly gets up and puts his mug in the sink, retreating from the room. I nudges Aidan with my leg, a reminder to start the conversation. He pats my leg in return, an understanding pat. He gets up and starts to follow his father.

“Wait- Dad, we need to talk to you really fast.” He stops to make sure I’m following behind him. I slip my hand into his.

“Sure. What’s it about?”

“Let’s sit down on the couch, okay? I think it’ll be easier.” He leads us into the sitting room, where once again Aidan and I take the loveseat. I fold my legs underneath me, and lean into Aidan.

“Okay, we’re sitting and my suspense level is through the roof. So tell me, what is it that’s so important that I have to sit down?” Mr. Langly said from across the room.

“Well, um, I- We- we… we’re… uh, pregnant. We’re going to have a baby. Yeah. And we’re going to schedule an appointment at Kelsey’s doctor today. We’re gonna move into an apartment or something together so don’t worry about this effecting your sleep or anything. I know, your disappointed in me but there really isn’t anything you can do to change that now… I’m sorry. If you want me to leave now, we will. I swear…” He trailed off, waiting for his fathers response.

It was quiet for a minute.

“Uh, well, I sure as hell didn’t expect this.” He chuckled, but it wasn’t a happy laugh. More of an ‘this is awkward’ laugh.

It was quiet again.

“You guys don’t have to leave. Kelsey, you can move in if you want to, or if things aren’t great at home. You guys both know your finishing high school right?”

“Yes, of course. And when the baby is born-if not before- we’re still going to get jobs and live on our own. We know what a burden this can become, and we both don’t want that.” I said.

“Honey, not to be blunt but no one wants to hire a pregnant teen.” Mr. Langly said solemnly.

“I can still get a job.” Aidan spoke from beside me.

“Yes, you can. But you guys still need to concentrate on school.”

“We know.” Aidan said.

“Then you guys should go call the doctor’s. And talk about stuff like names, I guess.” He said rubbing the bridge of his nose.

We got up, and walked to the stairs. I walked up them in front of Aidan, we only made it up three steps when I heard, “Aidan, can I talk to you for a minute?”

“Yeah hold on a minute.” He hollered back to his dad. “Go on up babe. I’ll be right there.”

I walked up the stairs slowly, deliberately. They were talking quietly down stairs. I could only hear some words as I made my way to Aidan's room. It wasn't my place to know what they were speaking about, so hushed.

I got to his room and as I made my way to his desk, stopped to pick up a few strewn pieces of clothing. I sat in his chair swirling around slowly. Thinking that I really do want a boy, mainly because little boy clothes seem so much less, I don't know, prissy?. But also, they're just cuter to me.