Secrets, Secrets Are No Fun...

"So... Draco... this is your new toy?"

The next morning, Draco and Hermione were eating breakfast together, not really speaking, since Draco spent the morning in silent thought.

Hermione was trying her best to get Draco to eat something when there was a loud crash and the Great Hall doors flew open.

As dust from the visitor's dramatic entrance cleared, there was a cumulative gasp in the room when they saw the white-blonde haired man who stood before them.

Before anybody could say anything, Dumbledore's raspy, yet powerful voice rang out, "What is your business here, Lucius?"

As Lucius opened his mouth to respond, a soft "a-hem was heard. "Oh Professor Dumbledore, I hope you don't mind," a sickly sweet voice began. "As an esteemed employee of the Ministry of Magic, and the father to one of our best students, I didn't see any problem with letting Lucius in to join us at breakfast. After all, he just needs to speak to me."

"Ah, Dolores, I understand, but mind I do. All visitors are to go through me. As you are not headmistress of this school, you are not granted the power to let people on to my ground, esteemed employees or not."

"Yes, but, Professor-"

Lucius cut her off with a low but resonant remark, "Surely, Dumbledore, you won't mind if I say a few words to my son and his..." he bit out the last part, "girlfriend."

Lucius didn't wait for an answer before stalking over to the Slytherin table. He looked around for Draco, but the slytherins there simply pointed to the Gryffindor table. Hermione's eyes were wide with fear and Draco looked he was going to be sick when Lucius Malfoy made his way over to them.

"So... Draco... this is your new toy?"

Draco didn't say anything, just shook with fear. Upon hearing no answer, Lucius grasped Hermione's face between his fingers and tutted, "Pretty... shame she's a filthy mudblood."

In a flash, Draco, Harry, Ron, Neville, Ginny, and Luna were all on their feet, wands pointed directly at Lucius' chest. Lucius dropped Hermione and put his hands up in mock defeat. "Don't worry, children... I'm not going to hurt your precious little mudblood friend. I simply-"

"Don't call her that!" Draco roared suddenly, coming to life. "Like it or not, I'm in love with her. Disown me if you will. Kill me. But you will not lay a finger on Hermione. This is all my fault."

"This is a problem for another day, Draco. I've never been so deeply shamed by a member of my family... but I suppose a little... disciplinary action can rectify this naughty streak you've seemed to develop."

"You may leave now, Lucius. I believe your business is done here," Dumbledore said forcefully, and without a word, Lucius Malfoy turned on his heel and stormed out of the Great Hall.

Moments later, something happened that not one person in Hogwarts could have predicted.

Draco Malfoy burst in to tears.