Secrets, Secrets Are No Fun...

"And then Neville came along."

For the next few days in potions, Hermione and Draco steadfastly ignored each other. They didn't want to let anything like what had happened the other day happen again, so any time one of them would even reach for the cauldron, the other would take a step back.

It was a little ridiculous, really, if you were watching from afar. It almost looked as if they were doing a dance, the way they moved so quickly to avoid each other.

Ron and Harry noticed a slight change in Hermione, who was all of a sudden barely eating and barely talking. But, after a long while of her denying anything being wrong, they just stopped asking.

In her rational mind, Hermione knew she was being crazy. One tiny touch from Draco didn't mean she was all of a sudden in love with him, and she was definitely overreacting with the whole avoidance thing.

Or are you? a little voice would hiss in the back of her head. You can't fall in love with that boy... You know it's not right. What will your friends think? You'll be completely ostracized...

Hermione hated when that part of her brain spoke up, because she knew it was speaking out of truth. She couldn't love Draco, she couldn't even like him.

So she decided to stick to ignoring him.

It was getting easier to ignore Draco now that it had become a habit. They didn't speak, they didn't touch, they wouldn't even look at each other.

And then Neville came along.

They were supposed to be making an anti-itch potion, used for bug bites, rashes, and any other prolonged itch on the body. Hermione and Draco's was going along splendidly, as usual.

Then, Snape asked Neville to bring up a vial of his potion.

"B-but, I'm n-not done, Professor."

"I said bring it here, Longbottom."

On his way up to Professor Snape, a Slytherin right behind Hermione decided it would be funny to stick his foot out and trip Neville.

Neville and his potion went flying towards Hermione, who could only think to cover her face instinctively. Not a moment too soon, Draco reached out and yanked Hermione close to him, out of harm's way.

Hermione didn't notice Nevile crash on to the floor with a sickening crunch. She didn't notice how his potion, that had landed on their table, was actually acid and was eating away the table, meaning if that had landed on her, Hermione would be in the hospital wing.

All she could do was look up in to her savior's cool, grey eyes, and think about how much she wished their faces were closer.