Do Your Worst

Castiel.

I bit my lip, trying not to freak out as I realized that my father knew exactly what was going on. His eyes before told the truth and here he was, asking to speak to me alone.

Worry filled me as I followed him through the corridors until we arrived at one of the gardens by the ballroom and after a quick sweep around the garden with his eyes he turned to me.

Here it is; he’s going to disinherit me. I’m going to be thrown out of the kingdom and I will be disgraced. Unwittingly I found my eyes squeezing themselves shut in fear of what was to come but no harsh words ensued.

“Castiel, child what seems to have you so worried?” he asked and at his kind tone, I felt so incredibly stupid for doubting him.

Of course he wouldn’t throw me out for something like this; he was the one advocating for me to wear whatever I like for so long and now it made sense that he was not angry about the situation.

“Nothing,” I whispered, opening my eyes to look at him and smile a little.

There was a fatherly, proud twinkle in his eyes when he gazed back at me and he waited a moment before speaking. “I am happy that you have found someone.”

I was expecting the words however they still came as a shock to my ears, wondering if that was really what I was hearing.

He continued and I was drawn away from my thoughts, “I am elated that my youngest son has made such a good choice of mate. Xantis is a strong, courageous lad but he needs someone by his side to love and guide him. It has been a very long time since I have seen two people better suited for one another,” he smiled kindly and I blushed at the words, thinking of how perfect everything felt when Xantis would pull me in close for a hug or give me a quick kiss when no one was looking.

“Thank you,” I whispered, taking the compliment for what it was and feeling a smile slip onto my lips.

“Your mother however must not know about this. I have a feeling she has something she is hiding from me.” I read between the lines as he wanted me to: She wants to overthrow me.

I nodded, knowing that the unspoken words that I understood could not be said out loud. If that got out…we’ll let us just say that it would be even worse than the kingdom finding out that I was gay.

“Father, thank you for understanding and taking everything so well; I am glad that I do not need to keep this from you,” I murmured, nodding to him to show just how truly grateful I was. “I have to hide myself from the world, I am glad that you are not one of them.” I smiled.

“I am assuming that Akier and Bravo know?” he asked and I shook my head in assurance.

“Yes, though Akier a little more reluctantly,” I admitted, “Bravo had to convince him to keep our love a secret.”

My father nodded, understand exactly how Akier could be and how Bravo was almost the only one able to help him cool his head and calm down, to see things rationally.

There was a shadow shifting in the dark and my eyes were drawn to the movement.

“Father…” I murmured, looking in the direction and when I looked back at him I saw that he noticed too.

“I do not believe our conversation went unheard,” he let out a deep sigh, his eyes moving fast as he thought things through, probably working out what this could mean, who that could have been and ultimately what the consequences of that knowledge could be.

I heard a heavy breath and spun around on my heels, seeing Xantis a few yards away, collapsed on a bench, looking like hell with a black bruise covering his face.

“Xantis!” I cried and ran to him, falling to my knees before the bench and worrying over him, demanding to know who did this to him. My father was behind me, listening for the response.

“Akier,” was all he said as he tried to sit up, barely managing to do it on his own so I sat beside him. To any onlooker it would seem as if we were just sitting closely, not that he was leaning on me desperately for support.

“What happened?” My father questioned, his strong voice making the still around us even quieter.

“I…I lost it,” he whispered and shook his head before burying his face in my neck, muttering something about hating someone.

“I’m going to go find Akier. Castiel, do you think you will be able to help him back to his room?”

“Yes, I can get him there,” I said and stood, pulling Xantis up with me. “I’ll stay with him to make sure he’s okay, will you please send the doctor?” I asked and the king nodded.

“Of course, I will come around later to make sure everything is alright and to see what exactly happened here.” His voice said that there would be punishment to come depending on the severity of what happened.

My father turned and was gone, leaving Xantis and I alone, walking slowly back to his room and using all of the hidden passageways so that no one would see him so…broken.

“Castiel would you hate me if my demon instincts made me into someone you didn’t recognize?” he asked, whisper soft as I was helping him into his bed finally.

I finished helping him before curling up against his side, waiting for the doctor to arrive.

“Never,” I whispered and pressed my lips gingerly to his cheek, lightly as to not cause him any pain. “You are a demon and I do not fault you on that. If…if your demon side is making you into someone I do not recognize than maybe you just need to come to terms with that part of yourself before it comes out again,” I chose my words carefully, only able to guess that what he was saying just happened to Akier and I felt a pang, wondering how he was.

Demons were assault creatures. They were created to be able to attack before anything could get close to attack them. If Xantis was backed into a corner he could embody that I’m sure and I didn’t want to think about it. However I would accept that it was there.

“I love you,” I reminded him, taking his hand in my own.

“You too,” he whispered back, holding my hand tightly in his own, “For you I will make sure that I am in control when something like this happens again.”

All I could do was nod.
♠ ♠ ♠
new story! - shapeshifters

COMMENT-SUBSCRIBE-RECOMEND