The Runaway

Redemption.

I arrived in San Franciso on June 31st, 1969.

I started out my journey with nothing to loose, and ended it with nothing.

No friends, no love, no family. Nothing but the clothes on my back, my sanity and my child.

Which was more then enough for me at the time.

San Francisco was everything I ever dreamed of and more.

I wondered around the city for awhile, not sure of where I was going until i stumbeled upon a busting intersection marked "Haight-Ashbury". I then realized I was finally home.

The streets were fileld to the brim with likeminded folk, poeple that have the same ambitions, feelings, and interests as me. This might seem corny, but it was a complete culture shock from the cramped closeminded likes of the townpeople in Pittsburgh. Here in San Francsico I could express myself openmindedly and as freely as I wanted without fear of being judged by my parents or mainstream society. And thats all I really wanted in life.

The sea of pshycadelic colors exploding from the streets mixed methodically with the vibrant shades of the sea and SanFrancisco bridge. It was a picturesque ending to a troublesome journey. One that I couldn't wait to venture into.

I wandered around for awhile more, totally in awe of this strange but groovy new destination.

It didn't take long for me to start making friends.

While i was exploring the city I stumbeled upon a small group of bohemian women sitting in a circle along a desolate street corner. They were sitting on a knitted tye dye rug smoking and holding flowers. One girl was playing a guitar the others were ratteling tambourines and singing what sounded vaguely like a anti Vietnam ballad. Their '65 light green volks wagon sleeper van was parked nearby. They were about my age, if not slightly older.

As I walked by they stopped playing, and were now staring at me.

"HEY!" The girl opposite of the guitar player yelled in my general direction. I cringed at the sound of her echoing voice. It was raspy and crude, yet it had a certain soft undertone to it. Almost as if it had come from a child. It was like nothing I ever heard before.

"Y-yeah.." I stammered, clearly alarmed as I slepped slightly more towards them.

"You new 'round here?"

"Yeah. I just got here." I breathed hastily.

The girl then set down her flower, stood up, and walked over to me. She was an attractive girl. Flowing carmel waves framed her delecate face ascending far past her shoulders. She wore a crown of dandy-lions around her head, which matched her overized tye-die sun dress to a tee.

"The names Janis." And she extended her hand graciously.

I stared dumbfounded and returned the shake limply. Could this be THEE janis?

After a few moments of small talk she gestured me over to where her friends were sitting and introduced me to each of them one by one.

Mary, Lynn, Susan, Linda, ect..

As the weeks passed I found my stomach expanding and my friendship with Janis quickly blossoming.

It wasn't long before I was nine months pregnant.

It also wasn't long before I had my first bisexual experiance.

Janis had told me many things about her life prior to, but she had never mentioned her bisexualality. It can as a pleasant surprise to me one day while we were sitting in the '65 van, just talking and smoking herb, when all of the sudden, she kissed me. Passionately.
Her lips were warm and inviting and I gladly returned the favor. It wasn't long until we started pleasuring eachother in the back of that van, but she wasn't the only women I was involved with.

I'd kill to see the expressions on my parents faces if they ever found out about this..

Days turned into weeks and weeks turned into months.

Before I knew it, it was August 10, 1969.

One day out of the blue, Susan had mentioned this rock music festival that wa sbeig held in Woodstock, New York.

"We gotta go man! All the greats are gonna be playin' and so is Janis!"

I nodded smoothly at thinking about seeing Janis on stage. I had always loved the sound of her voice. It was haunting. Just thinking about her up on stage with her band Big Brother made goosebumps race down my body.

So we packed up our belongings and drove.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was lying spread eagle in the prickly grass in that field.

Taking in the sights and sounds of the bands playing at Woodstock. Bob Dylan was currently playing on stage, and it brought me back to the moment when I had first arrived in San Francisco many months ago.

I had always admired Bob Dylan. The way his voice healed your soul. The way his notes melted like butter in that thick, August air.

I was lounging with my longtime friends. Glancing around casually I couldn't help but notice an attractive shaggy haired boy sitting with a group of people caddy-cornered to me.
He was now looking my way too.

I dropped another hit of acid and casually walked over towards him. It was hard for me to move now, seeing that I was very pregnant and would most likely be giving birth soon.

The boy had told me that his name was David and that he had just returned from war.
He had the most beautiful eyes I had ever held in my vision. They were green, and twinkled in the mis summer sun.

And surprisingly enough, David already knew my name.

"Hayley.." He whispered in my ear, quite lovingly. It was then that I knew it was him.

My david was alive!!

A hurricane of emotion washed over me in that moment.

Anger, pride, compassion, and most of all; love.

He swept em off my feet and we shared a passionate embrace for what seemed like years. My David was finally back in my arms and I didn't wanna let him out of my sight ever again!

"Why are you here?" I smirked

David smiled back. "Lets just say..I figured you'd be here."

We kissed and then we kissed some more. I felt so releaved, so at ease knowing that what I had been fearing for almost a year now did not come true. We had so much catching up to do but none of that mattered right now.

All that mattered was that we were together.

I led him over to my group of friends as they casually introduced themselves and offered him various drugs. He declined and sat me on his lap.

At that very moment, Janis took the stage, and we cheered and cat-called to her, hoping that she could hear us from the mix of 50,000 concert goers.

She sang her heart out on stage while I poured my heart out to david. I told him to story and he told me his. For the first time in awhile I felt complete again, I felt alive.

But my moment of pleasure was interrupted abruptly as strange stabbing paint errupted through my lower back and stomach and liquid poured out of me like a sea.

It just started to rain and I was giving birth.

"Its okay baby, we'll get through this together!" David said, clearly trying to comfort me as my friends stood around clearly in shock.

"Yes, together." I said through stifeled breaths. "You and me, together, forever."

The End.
♠ ♠ ♠
click here to see a picture of Hayley and her newfound friends in San Francisco!

http://www.unsv.com/voanews/specialenglish/scripts/2008/06/23/0045/ap-hippies-22jun08-se.jpg

http://blog.gettyimages.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/75621954.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_s1I4zOIUr9w/ShenruL6tzI/AAAAAAAAAcY/QO3i4bs7BWA/s400/hippies+with+long+hair.bmp

http://www.emptymirrorbooks.com/keenan/counterculture/1967/hippiehill.jpg