‹ Prequel: Heart of Man

Seeing Red

Chapter 8

//Anna Trovato’s POV//

Lena took the computer off of the table and put it back in its bag. I knew she was taking a risk to help me, but I couldn’t be here any longer. There was a flight that needed to be caught. I had missed most of my team’s funerals, but Vitaly and Daniil’s was tomorrow in Kiev and I would not miss it. She carefully pulled out the now three needles in my body as my mother came into the room. “All of the paperwork is done, so you are free to go.”

Nodding at her, she probably wasn’t too happy with me. She wanted me to stay, I didn’t want to. She wanted me to come back to Yaroslavl for a few days, fat chance of that ever happening again. I was going back long enough to pack everything, break my lease, and get the fuck out of there. Granted, there wasn’t much, but I now had her to think of as well. I couldn’t just leave her here. I also couldn’t just send her back to Dad.

She had a flight waiting on her to go to Tampa, and was given strict instructions by Dana to pick her up and bring her to the apartment. After I had told her that one, Adelina, my mother, screamed at me. It was quite a sight. She would be there to receive all of the packages from the apartment, but that was that. It sucked but there was nothing that could be done. I needed some time away from this country.

Not to mention the situation with Tretiak. I had had my fair share of political visitors, including him, and we were looking at a few delicate situations. Several that involved D.C., but I’m pretty sure they caught my meaning of ‘go the fuck away’ for now, so hopefully I’ll have some time. There were more pressing matters, and those were my teammates.

I was confined to shorts for a while, or very loose pants, for three weeks for my leg. It seemed to be a problem wherever I went. Maybe I was better off without it; I’m sure someone out there could use an unlucky leg. My mother handed Lena one shoe for my left foot after letting me get my socks on. It hurt like a mother fucker, but she said the pain should stop in a few weeks. They finally got the shoe on, much to my discomfort, but Lena grabbed my crutches and waited at the side of my bed for me.

Patience.

I could take a leaf out of her book, you know. Taking them from her, she adjusted the heights and gave me room. Going slow, I pressed them in front of me and took a step with my right foot, only to feel slight pressure in my ribs. No doubt my body was sore, but I didn’t want the details of what happened. It was probably something I could live without. Walking around to my teammate, I slid into the curtains and reached for his hand.

Sasha was out cold, medically-induced coma, but I wish he would have awoken just once. Leaning my weight on the bed, I kissed his forehead lightly, hoping for the best. I missed my friend. No one deserved this.

Following my mother out, she handed me the new blackberry she picked up that morning, upon my request. Handing it to Lena, she happily put in her phone number before hugging both my mother and I tightly and offering hopes of safe travels.

After getting everything in the trunk of the car, I dreaded the next words out of my mother’s mouth. Taking the keys from her open hand, she helped me into the driver’s seat and closed the door behind me. Pulling the seatbelt on, I groaned quietly but kept it on. She slid into her own and made herself comfortable, no doubt ready for more sleep.

[img] http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/6222/1w7.png[/img]

Dropping my mother off at the airport with two bags of her clothes and stuff, she didn’t say anything once again. Not a word during the drive, not a word at the apartment, nothing. Kissing my forehead before leaving the car was the only communication from her, but it was fine. She was under stress and needs to adjust.

“You need to call that Alex Semin and let him know you are alright.” Narrowing my eyes at her, she only nodded before closing the door and stepping through the airport entry doors. I had stuff to do, and that didn’t involve Alex just yet. The guilt from him having to drop everything to fly to Russia was overwhelming and hard to handle. Erika’s friend had just gotten married to Miller and Erika also just had a birthday. Two good things and then a crash that affected the entire hockey world were not all happy times.

Closing my eyes and leaning back against the headrest, I didn’t want to think about the crash. To think about the friends you lost, people who lost family, fathers, sons, brothers. Why did I have to survive? It’s too much to handle, so why do I have to live through it all? Someone pulled up behind me, waking me from my thoughts as I shifted into gear and exited the drop-off area.

Returning to the apartment, it takes several minutes to get to the third floor, but it is not an impossible feat. I figured, if I worked at it, I can ditch the crutches within a week. Sitting on my still-made bed, if I pretended, it was almost bearable. I’d only have to be here a few more days to get everything shipped out, and then unless it was to play hockey, I’d never set foot in Yaroslavl again.

Hockey. I can’t even play for now. What a fucking, weak waste of space if I can’t play.

Turning on my phone, it had finished syncing with the backup server in the car, so all of my contacts were restored. Opening the messages, I found Ovi’s number and began typing, asking for a huge favour.

[img] http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/6222/1w7.png[/img]

Funerals were supposed to be the ‘start of new’. Vitaly’s and Daniil’s were heartbreaking. One of my best friends and one of the little ones I had been so fond of. It’s hard to think of them like that, but it was devastating. I had stayed the night with Daniil’s mother and little brother, playing toys and watching the younger version of my friend while his mother prepared dinner. His father had gone to sleep, no doubt to let out his feelings in the quiet, private confinement of one’s bedroom.

When the stories had become too much to handle, I asked for dismissal, thanking her for dinner and tucking little Ilya away in bed. She wore a sad smile, but hugged me all the same.

It had been two days since then, but this was not something I could handle. Sasha didn’t make it. It was worse than I could have imagined. Lena had said he had been making progress, doing well. I had gotten here after lunch and here it was nearly night time. Such a difference time can make on one’s status. Now here I was, holding his hand for dear life to no avail. He never woke up.

[img] http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/6222/1w7.png[/img]

My apartment was emptied, everything taken to the postal service. I wouldn’t return to this country for a very long time. Tretiak would have to come to me, and he understood this. Handing the woman the boarding pass for the ticket I purchased on a whim, I re-thought my actions several times. I would be turned away, no doubt of that, but I had to try.

Wearing a pair of sunglasses I borrowed from my mother, it was enough to hide who I was to everyone who didn’t need to know. The airline knew who it had on board, granting me permission to sit in the front and no one beside me. It was a matter of privacy, I suppose. I also discovered why I shouldn’t have worn jeans, as it constricted my leg in an uncomfortable way. You really don’t have much choice, however, wearing shorts like that around in an airport.

After half a day of long flying, it had become oddly comforting when we had finally touched down. Speeding through customs, I found the familiar dark head of hair waiting for me at baggage claim. Having already sent everything to my mother, I only had what was in my backpack, and that was with me. Setting it down at my feet, Ovi wrapped me into a tight hug, mumbling low enough that I could hardly hear him. Embracing him back, it was good to find a previous constant in one’s life. Maybe not as constant as some, but one nonetheless.

Letting go, he grabbed my backpack and slung it around his arm, his free hand digging in his pocket for his keys. “You are lucky I get out of practice early today. Sasha is still there, but his mother should answer the door.

And that she did.

Thanking Ovi for bringing me, I was quickly ushered into the house. The younger Semina was in Russia visiting family already, I was informed, and that she would be joining her daughter that evening. She said nothing has she helped me climb the stairs, never once complaining about how slow I was. In many aspects, our mothers were different. It was enlightening. I always thought I would be a bad mother one day. It’s anyone’s greatest fear: being a bad parent.

Sitting on the side of the bed that I knew wasn’t Alex’s, I slipped out of my shoes and she kissed my forehead. Clasping me warmly, I was grateful for the gesture. For many reasons, I was glad I had done alright through the ordeal. I would miss these people terribly. She closed the door behind her and I went for the light. The house was cool to counter against the D.C. heat, almost cold as I crawled carefully under the covers, not changing out of the socks and jeans. The t-shirt wasn’t overly hot, almost warming. Just like that, I remember thinking and then I was out.

[img] http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/6222/1w7.png[/img]

//Alexander Semin’s POV//

My mom had left an hour ago to meet my sister and dad in Krasnoyarsk, but had forgotten to leave the spare key under the mat at the door. Usually being kept in the kitchen drawer next to the wall, it was hardly used. Walking to the garage, I typed in the code on the keypad and re-shut the door to it as the garage door opened. As soon as I could duck inside, I pressed the small button on the wall and it began closing again.

Setting my bag on the ledge, I opened the door to my home and savoured the cool air circulating. Looking around, my mother had put in a new trash bag in the bin. I would have to thank her for that, even though I wish she would let me do it. I had woken up later than I wanted, and forgot to do so.

My eyes caught the pair of crutches leaning against the closet door out in the hallway, and my felt my heart begin to pound. Taking the steps two at a time, I don’t know why I didn’t check the guest room first. Opening my bedroom door and tiptoeing in, I closed it as quietly as I could.

Anna was sound asleep.

I could get used to coming home to her like this. Maybe it was a male thing, seeing a female in your bed and knowing that she’s yours. But is Anna mine? Throwing my shoes off into the closet, she never moved as I simply crawled into the bed like I was. Reaching out, I scooted closer to her while pulling her closer. Holding her tightly, I kissed her cheek before allowing her soft breathing to lull me to sleep.

This is where I wanted her.
♠ ♠ ♠
To the three people who cussed me out because I wrote about Loko, I hope you understand how hard it is. Thanks for the confidence boost, because I really feel like shit about it right now. Thank you.

I'd like to thank I've got hope., Kenarik for her chapter-inspiring comment, and vany262 for commenting. c: