Status: It's over! May write a sequel later, not entirely sure yet.

Diamond In The Rough

Chapter Thirteen

*Dan’s Point of View*

I dropped Cassidy off at her house, and then I went home. I slammed the front door, making Andrej jump. A bunch of the other guys were in our apartment, and when they looked at me Jeff stood up.

“Maybe we should get going,” he said quietly.

“Don’t stop the party because of me,” I growled before storming into my bedroom. I couldn’t understand it. I was so pissed that I couldn’t think straight. I wanted to throw Claude out of a window, and I wanted to forget all about Cassidy. I mean, she wasn’t even my girlfriend and I was getting riled up. What would happen if we ever got to that-no…we wouldn’t get to that point. I knew she was going to turn out like all of the other girls. I’d find her in Claude’s bed, or draped over Jeff’s arm, or swapping spit with Danny or something. That was always the way it worked. I was Dan fucking Carcillo, and I was no ladies’ man. I was a goon, and I sure as hell proved that tonight. I ran my fingers through my hair and looked in the mirror hanging above my bureau. I think I need to clean up my act a bit…

*Cassidy’s Point of View*

I hadn’t heard from Dan in weeks. I had texted him, called him…everything. He just didn’t want to talk to me. I don’t know why I was so upset about it, but I was. On the other hand, I blew off Claude completely. It wasn’t until he stormed into Tilly’s and demanded to talk to me that I actually acknowledged his presence.

“Cassidy we need to talk. I’m sorry, but I’m temporarily kidnapping your waitress,” Claude said before dragging me out of the diner. Ellie just stared in shock, and I was so surprised all I could do was go along with it.

“Claude, what is going on?” I asked as we walked around the back of the building.

“I was hoping you could tell me that Cassidy. What the fuck did you say to Dan before that game?” Claude asked.

“I didn’t say anything!” I said. Claude scoffed.

“Why do I doubt that?” he growled. I felt something inside me starting to boil.

“Claude you come here when I’m at work, asking me what I did, when I have no idea what the fuck you’re talking about?” I cried.

“Alright, let me put it simply. Dan is fucking whacked out. He’s not talking to anyone lately, he went and got his teeth fixed or some crazy shit, he cut his hair, and he shaved his mustache. Nobody knows what happened to him, and he won’t tell anyone. What did you do?” Claude asked. There was a savage defensiveness in his voice for the last question. I felt the color drain from my face.

“He…I…he found out that we went to dinner together. He texted me, and I apologized. We went out for drinks after the game, and I thought things were going okay, but then this sports show came on talking about how pissed he was during the game, and he got all weird and took me home. That’s all I know Claude. I swear,” I squeaked. Could Dan have changed so much because of one simple date? Claude ran a hand through his hair.

“I should have known…” he muttered.

“What?” I asked.

“Dan…Dan has always had…trouble…with girls. The last few girls he’s taken an interest in…well they bailed on him for Carter and some of the other guys. I guess he figured it was the same with you. I guess this is partially my fault too, huh?” Claude asked, leaning against the wall. I sighed.

“I don’t know. I guess we could say it’s a collective effort. Did he really do all of that though?” I asked. Claude nodded somberly.

“You should see him…I’m surprised you haven’t,” Claude said.

“I’m a Devils fan, remember? I’ve been paying more attention to them…especially since Dan cut me out of his life,” I grumbled.

“Sounds like you two have more in common than you want to admit,” Claude smirked. I shook my head.

“I guess so,” I sighed.

*Dan’s Point of View*

I walked into the apartment and I raised my eyebrows when I saw Andrej, Claude and Cassidy sitting on the couch.

“Dan, we need to talk,” Cassidy said quietly. I backed up, and frowned.

“Why?” I asked.

“Because I think we had a little miscommunication,” she said before walking over, grabbing my wrist, and dragging me out of the apartment. I snatched my arm back.

“Who do you think you are?” I growled.

“Does that really matter? Dan…look at you. You don’t look like yourself. You’re ignoring everyone. Now, I’m nowhere near as close to you as the guys on the team, but please…tell me what’s wrong,” she pleaded. Her eyes were wide with concern.

“You want to know what’s wrong?” I asked. She nodded.

“Alright. I’ll tell you what’s wrong. Just like every other girl in my life, you go and start dating one of the other guys on the team. I thought maybe…maybe I had a chance with you. You don’t know how crazy I’ve been these past few weeks trying to figure out what the hell you do to me. You…you hurt me just like every other woman I’ve ever met. I guess I learned the hard way not to take interest,” I explained coldly. Cassidy’s eyes filled with tears and she stared at her feet.

“But it was just one date…and I…I had more fun with you. I was going to tell you when we went for a drink that going on a date with Claude was a mistake Dan…I really was,” she said. Her voice quavered, and I swallowed roughly.

“What are you trying to say?” I asked quietly.

“That I didn’t choose one of your teammates over you. I didn’t choose anyone really, but now that it’s come to this, I’m choosing Dan, and I’m choosing you,” she said sternly.

“You’re choosing me?” I asked.

“Yeah. You. The big, stupid, goofy looking, smartass, you that went and chopped his hair off, shaved his mustache, and got his teeth fixed because he was pissed off. Dan Carcillo…you’re amazing,” Cassidy said, stepping closer and closer towards me. I swallowed roughly again and looked at her. Her eyes were burning with an almost angry fire.

“My teeth are kind of fake…it’s like a retainer type deal, really,” I said lamely. She smirked, and she was so close that I could smell her. She smelled like coconuts, rock music, and something spicy and mildly sexy. Her hands found mine, and I raised my eyebrows in surprise.

“Dan, I don’t care about your teeth right now,” she whispered before stepping up on her tiptoes and kissing me. I felt my eyes widen in surprise, but I shrugged it off and kissed her back. Dammit yeah! I heard the apartment door open, but instead of breaking away from her, I just pulled Cassidy closer to me and kissed her even more firmly. Her lips melted against mine, and my heart raced. Her hands wrapped around my neck and I broke away momentarily to breathe. Her eyes were sparkling, and I felt a smile on my lips, but I could care less about smiling when I had kissing to do. I kissed her again, and held her against my chest. My hands were draped around her waist, and my tongue slipped into her mouth. She was sweeter than sugar, with a little kick of something feisty. Everything about her, the way she smelled, the way she tasted, was awesome. I could taste the fight in her, and it was well…pretty friggin’ sexy actually.

*Claude’s Point of View*

I walked out into the hallway, and saw Cassidy and Dan kissing. I immediately burst back into the apartment and dragged Andrej out to see. We both silently high fived, but crept back into the apartment as things got a little hotter between the two.

“It’s about fucking time he got a girl,” Andrej smiled.

“Yeah, I know,” I said, a faint smile forming on my own face. Did it suck to lose the fight? Yeah, you bet. Did it suck to see Dan happy for the first time in weeks? Hell no. I guess I could afford a slight sacrifice for my bro.

*Dan’s Point of View*

I don’t know how long we were in the hallway. It could have been fifteen minutes, or it could have been five years, but it didn’t really matter to me. All that did matter was that I had Cassidy still burning on my lips, and it felt great. I practically skipped back into the apartment, and when I did so, I walked straight into my room and took out those stupid ass teeth.

Who needs fake teeth when you’re Dan fucking Carcillo?
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, a little under 1,500 words. Incidentally, they finally get together in Chapter 13...Dan Carcillo wears number 13...whatever. The resounding lesson in this chapter: he's Dan fucking Carcillo. Deal with it.