Status: It's over! May write a sequel later, not entirely sure yet.

Diamond In The Rough

Chapter Three

After the Flyers had finished eating I cleared the table and they all got up to leave.

“Where do you guys think you’re going? You all get ice cream, or did you forget?” I asked, smiling.

“Oh I forgot about that! Sweet!” JVR beamed, immediately plopping back into his seat. I racked off all of the flavors before getting overwhelmed with them calling out what they wanted. I cracked up, realizing that hockey players were just big kids sometimes.

“One at a time guys, one at a time,” I smiled, and they settled down. I turned to Dan Carcillo last, and he raised his eyebrows.

“And you?” I asked, tapping my notebook with my pen. He smirked.

“Guess,” he said. I chuckled.

“Really?” I asked.

“Really,” he said, the smirk still lingering on his face.

“He does this every time ice cream is mentioned. Nobody has ever guessed it right,” Coburn explained from a few seats away.

“Okay…so, you’re obviously too cool for your basic chocolate, strawberry, vanilla…but I don’t think you have enough of a sweet tooth to go for marshmallow or bubble gum…definitely not a tropical fruit kind of guy either…something that’s got a little bit of an edge to it. I’m torn between mint chocolate chip and rocky road…so I’m going to go for rocky road. Am I right?” I said, thinking hard on it as I stared at him closely. His jaw dropped, along with the other guys at the table.

“Holy crap, she got it right!” Coburn cried in surprise. I chuckled.

“People always ask me to guess because nobody seems to believe that I have a talent for guessing ice cream flavors. Whenever the regulars bring new people, it’s the first thing they do,” I explained. Carcillo continued to gape at me and I raised my eyebrows.

“So rocky road?” I asked. He nodded slowly and I returned to the kitchen to get their ice cream.

*Meszaro’s Point of View*

Danny looked almost nervous as we walked out of the diner, and I looked at him questioningly.

“Dude, what’s up? You look…well as close to scared as I’ve ever seen you,” I asked. He shook his head, and I ran my hand through my hair, wondering what could have possibly caused him to get like this. The waitress had certainly shaken him up, and he wasn’t used to girls getting around his edgy exterior and proving him wrong. He was a smartass in all senses of the word…and then I remembered him scribbling something down on a piece of paper and slipping it under the napkin holder where we had put her tip.

“Dan…” I started.

“Yeah?” he asked.

“Did you give her your number?” I asked. He chuckled.

“Uh…no dude. You know I don’t do that kind of stuff,” he said quickly before jumping into his car and shutting the door quickly. I shrugged and got into my own car, figuring that he was just being weird as usual.

*Cassidy’s Point of View*

I cleared the table and then pulled the tip the guys had left me from under the napkin holder. My jaw dropped when I saw how generous they had been. $150 was way more than 18 percent gratuity. A small slip of paper fell out from between the bills and I bent down to pick it up. In messy handwriting there was a message written.

You’re good. Change your shirt, and then call me. Dan.

I stared at the paper in my hands for a while, and then tucked it into my pocket nervously. Was I really considering calling Dan? Of course. I just had to find out which of the two Daniels at the table had been so brave as to leave me their number.