Adam's Secret

Chapter 1 - The Mansion

Two months felt like eternity. Other than that, I was really happy because I could go see Adam. It was raining. No sunshine, just plain, dark, gloomy sky. I went to school and was not surprised that he wasn’t there. He always comes to school late because he doesn’t have an alarm clock. Fifteen minutes later, the bell rung and when I was just about to enter the classroom, someone stopped me. I turned my head around expecting it to be James, the school jock/bully. Oh, it was Adam.

“Wait, stop. Wanna cut class?” He asked me hoping I would say yes.

“Uh... No, I don’t think so. I want to educate myself. And I’m not the one that needs educating.” I said raising an eyebrow.

“Hey! Come on, please” he said, “Do you really want to go to class? Everyone has to suffer but us if we skip class. And besides, it’s History. We both hate History and that old man standing in front of the class.” He meant Mr. Smith, our History teacher.

It was true; we do hate History and Mr Smith. I thought this over and decided that I didn’t have much of a choice.

“Fine, I’ll skip class, but only just this once.” I warned him.

Our History teacher, Mr Smith, was in class and we didn’t want him see us. So, we found the nearest exit and ran to the park which was around ten minutes away from Adam’s house. We hung around, talked. I was saddened when we had to leave because it started getting crowded.

We went to Adam’s house and he took the extra key from under the carpet and opened the door. His mum wasn’t at home so she won’t know that we were there. She’s always not at home and when she is, which is very unlikely, she won’t even know that he’s around. I went in his room and looked around.

It looked so different, probably because I haven’t been in there for months. He’s obsessed with black. He has black walls, black bed, black everything. He reads a lot of books like me but walks around on the streets after light when it’s dark, unlike me. So I suppose we’re kind of similar.

“Hey why are you looking at my room like that? Is it really that hideous? Wait, here’s a free fact for you: I cleaned my room yesterday. Amazing right?!” He said jokingly.

“No, no. It’s just that I haven’t been here for so long. Your room looks so different, partly because you cleaned it.” I admitted.

“Thanks for your comment. I think.” He said proudly, though sounding a bit unsure if I meant it sarcastically or not.

We sat down on his bed and read some of my vampire comics which I’d brought to school (I’d hid some of them under my bed). Even though he doesn’t seem that interested in vampires, he appeared to enjoy it. When I decided to get a drink, I heard a noise coming from outside. I looked out the window and saw a car coming up the driveway. It was his mum, she’s here! I quickly ran back to his room, took a deep breath and started talking.

“Adam, your mum is here! Do you know what will happen if she finds us here? We need to get out of here now .We’ll be in so much of trouble if you don’t hurry up! Quick, let’s get out of here. Come on!” I frantically told him.

“Ok, ok. Calm down. I know what will happen if she sees us. She’ll tell Mr Williams, he will tell my parents and, how about I don’t continue. Just wait and let me get your comics and leave the place like how it was.” He rushed and smoothed out his blanket, took my books and put it in his bag. Mr Williams is our school principal. Everyone in the school hates him, even the teachers!

“You have to hurry, she’s coming!” I screamed, but very softly. He didn’t seem to be noticing at all. So I pointed to the window. He looked out and so did I. She was now opening the door!

When he saw that, he started working faster. I was almost going to leave him but he told me that he was done. I opened the window, slowly got out on the roof and hesitated to jump down. It hurt my legs a lot but I had not time to cry. He did the same thing, although it seemed like it didn’t even hurt him a bit. He must have done this every night, running away from home. He told me which way to run and I followed him.

I turned around to look because I was afraid that she was going to see us. After I was sure that she didn’t see us, I turned back and started running. It started to get dark and was aware that my parents don’t like me being outside in the dark alone. School probably finished way back too. We did not stop because she might come looking for us in her car. We stopped only when we reached a very old and a very creepy looking mansion. It didn’t look like a mansion but something bigger. Way bigger.

The walls were wrapped with grass and small plants. It smelt revolting. I could smell something rotten like someone died in there. Not someone, but a lot of people. It must have been built in 1882 because it said it on a sign next to the huge gate. I shivered with fear not because it was cold, but because of a thought that came in my mind. Could this be a vampire’s home?