Adam's Secret

Chapter 2 - Secret

“Could this be...?” My voice trailed off because I didn’t want him to think that I was crazy.

“What? What do you mean ‘Could this be...?’?” He asked confused.

“You’d think that I am mad if I tell you. Here’s the deal, you don’t open your mouth to laugh and I won’t have to move my eyes to look at you on the floor.” I threatened him.

“What! Are you threatening me? Ok, ok, fine. You don’t have to get all serious, you know.” He said annoyed.

“I think a vampire might be living in there.” I admitted.

“Hah-” He started to laugh but I cut him off.

“You said that you would not laugh!” I shouted at him and raised my hand but he said something and I stopped.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry. I just thought that vampires don’t exist. So... you think that that’s a vampire home? If you want to be sure, we just have to check it out ourselves.” He told me and then opened the huge gate to the house. I was going to step in but I stopped him.

“Wait, if a vampire is really in there, he should be awake very soon because the sun’s almost down.” I said with concern.

“Can you hear that? It sounds like a chicken. Must be somewhere near me. Can’t see it though...” He said mockingly. “Come on man, don’t be such a baby. I thought you like vampires. I don’t really like them but I’m going.” He walked forward until he was not far away from the door.

“Um,” Unsure if I should go in or not, I stood there for a while thinking about it. Then, I finally decided. “Oh what the heck am I thinking?!” I said foolishly and walked in.

We walked to the door and he slowly opened it. It creaked very loudly like in movies. I didn’t want it to be fully opened so, when it was big enough for us to fit through, I walked in slowly and quietly. It was very dark even though there was little light outside. It must have been built without windows.

While I was blindly moving my way through the house, I accidentally scraped my hand on something hard. It felt like brick wall but I couldn’t care less about my hand. Even though I couldn’t see a thing, I continued to walk aimlessly. The pain stopped after a while. Suddenly, I remembered something.

“Do you somehow have a flashlight with you?” I asked him hoping that he would say yes.

“Why would I have one? And if I did, I’d have to bring it in my backpack to school every day. Who would ever do that?” He was thinking of who would, but couldn’t come up with anyone.

“Hah! Harry would. Wait, do you even know him?” I tested him, but he knew who he was.

“Of course I know him! He’s in our class. Harry... someone. I don’t know his last name but I definitely know who he is. He’s that kid that brings a survival kit with him wherever he goes.”

After a while, I regretted not bringing a jacket because it was absolutely freezing inside. I continued walking until Adam stopped. Pain! What’s wrong with my hand? I could check it but the whole house was black, literally. Then, it stopped, again.

“Shh! Do you hear that?” He whispered very softly.

“Huh? Hear what? Wha-“

“Quiet! Man, some people don’t know how to keep their mouths shut for just a second.”

I still couldn’t hear anything. Then, I heard footsteps coming down the stairs. I knew right at
that moment that I could be right. Then, the pain hit me again, this time, even harder. I groaned and grabbed my hand really hard to stop the pain. I kept putting pressure on it until the pain slowly decreased. It was gone. But I’m guessing only for a while.

“Did you hear that now?” His voice was trembling with fear.

I froze and couldn’t say a word. It felt like time was slowed down. Then, I heard a voice, a very deep and dark voice. It sounded like an old English accent.

“What’s this? I wasn’t expecting any guests. I guess this is my lucky night. Viktor!” The unknown man called for someone.

“Yes my lord. What is it that you need?” A gentle voice came from not very far away.

“Did you invite these people for dinner? If you did, I don’t think they’re going to have dinner, they are going to be dinner.” He said as he laughed very cruelly.

“No sir. I don’t remember inviting anyone for dinner. I have very little leftover. How many are there?” He asked the man.

“There are two boys. Very fresh, especially that one there...”

I was sure he was pointing at me. I didn’t want my blood to get sucked out of me.

“Well, of course there’s not enough. Actually, I don’t even think there’ll be enough for one. Sorry boys.” He said sadly. “I’m truly sorry...” His voice trailed off and all was silent.

“We have to get out of here. When I say ‘now’, run out as quick as you can. Ok?” I was waiting for him to say it and finally, he did.

“Now!” He shouted loudly. Before I could start to run, the door creaked and shut quickly. I stopped dead in my tracks. I looked at Adam and he looked back at me. We both knew what was coming at us. I could feel cold wind at my neck. It was pitch black so I was practically blinded. Then long, bony fingers ran down the right side of my neck. I didn’t feel or hear anything for a few seconds. I wasn’t thinking of keeping my hopes too high because at that moment, my worst nightmare came true.

I felt his lips brushing against my skin. Slowly opening it, I now could feel very sharp teeth pressing lightly on my skin. I still couldn’t see him in the dark, vast place and I didn’t know how menacing he looked.

“Ah. Do you know how lovely your scent is? I’m surprised you’re still alive.” He continued with his old English accent.

He whispered in my ear, “There are other vampires like me out there you know? Like your friend here.” I could feel his cold breath blowing on me. Then, I recalled what he'd just said. What?! Adam’s a vampire?!