Adam's Secret

Chapter 3 - Where Are They?

“Is that really true? What he’s saying.” He seemed pretty calm when I asked him that.

“I’m so sorry. I had no other choice. If I told you, you wouldn’t have believed me and thought that I was crazy.” He sounded apologetic but knew that I was going to find out sooner or later.

“How could you? You mean all these years you didn’t tell me? How long have you kept this secret of yours from me?” My emotions were mixed. Terrified, mad, confused, sad, astonished, you get what I mean.

“A while” He confessed.

“What do mean by ‘a while’?” He looked at me fearfully like he didn’t want to answer my question.

“Well, I’ve been-”

“Enough!” He startled me. “You two boys have to stop talking. Bring it outside if you like. Wait, no. Don’t go outside. I haven’t had guests since forever.” I forgot that he was still there listening to our conversation. He continued, “Young children these days are so-”

“Man! Get a whiff of that. I mean, can you smell that? It’s coming from,” Adam looked around the room trying to find the source. I know vampires have a very good sense of smell. He stood still right after that thought.

I couldn’t take this anymore. The pain comes and goes. Now, it really got me mad. My hand felt wet when I touched it. Then, I stopped breathing. The smell... It was coming from me, from my hand. There was blood on my hand. I stood there motionless.

“Ah, the smell of fresh blood loiters around this room. It’s been so long since this smell filled my nose. You know, it is my 129th birthday tomorrow. Hold on. Viktor!” The unknown man, whose name I still didn’t know called for the man again.

“Yes master?” His soft, gentle voice calmed me down, only a little.

“Hurry up and turn on the lights. Not too bright. I hate bright things.” Unfortunately, that voice
of his made me tense.

I was finally going to see how he looked like. I wasn’t looking forward to that. It took quite a while for the lights to be turned on. As it did, it wasn’t very bright but it’s enough to locate any vampires. He wasn’t there. So wasn’t my vampire friend, Adam. Where did they go? I looked around, afraid that they’ll appear out of nowhere and attack me.

“Continuing from just now, tomorrow’s my birthday. Maybe a gift from you would make my day. You know what I’d really like to have? You.” His voice came from nowhere. That last word kept echoing in my mind. ‘You, you, you.....’

I saw two figures emerge from the side. This was it.