Prescribed Pills

Let The Sun Rain Down On Me

I frowned as I swept a hand through my growing brown hair, throwing it back. Lacey had tried to kill herself and I had a feeling it was all my fault for screaming at her and fighting with her. She definitely didn't that, she needed comfort. I looked over at her. I took her hand in mine and she looked over at me, a bit of shock in her eyes and I gave her a quiet smile, while stroking her knuckles.

'Everything is going to get better,' I mouthed silently to her as the doctor continued to talk. I was barely paying attention to him, only catching a few words here and there, like: suicide, therapy, psychiatrist, gash, serious.... I didn't really care about all of that right now. All I cared about was the fact that Lacey was okay and she would be coming to live with me for a few months, until she was okay again. I would take care of her. I wouldn't drink or do anything to upset her. I had to make sure that I was the one to bring her smile back.

“I'll leave you few alone with her.” The doctor finally said after while, “I'll bring you the list of therapists I would recommend.” He turned, holding his clipboard close to him as he left, shutting the door behind him.

I rolled my eyes, annoyed by him and turned back to Lacey. I had a feeling she wasn't going to speak anytime soon. I got closer to her, resting my head on her shoulder, “I'm going to make all of this better.” I whispered to her, running my fingers through her hair, pushing it out of her face. I looked at the gash on her left temple, and whimpered, leaning over and pressing my lips to it, softly. “I promise, I'm never going to fight with you again. I love you..” She tensed up lightly, and I held her hand tighter. Was it my kiss, or the fact that I said I love you again?

Sighing, I pulled away, but still held her hand and stroking her knuckles.

~

Two days passed, and she was in my car, finally getting to go home. Well, to my home. She still hadn't spoken. “What would you like for lunch?” I asked her, as we passed my several fast food restaurants. I looked over at her, waiting for her to answer. But she didn't. I frowned and looked around. “Panera Bread it is than...” I said. It was her favorite, as far as I knew. I pulled through the drive-thru and got her favorite turkey sandwich and drink, and a wrap for myself. I sat the bag between our seats, and pulled back out onto the busy highway, towards my house.

I turned my eyes to the road, but continued to speak. “Lacey, you're killing me...” I whispered, the silence was overwhelming, so I turned on the radio. Oddly, it was her favorite song, and I began to sing along.

I cleared my throat, “She paints her fingers with a close precision, he starts to notice empty bottles of gin and takes a moment to assess the sins she’s paid for. A lonely speaker in a conversation, her words were swimming through his ears again. There's nothing wrong with just a taste of what you've paid for. Say what you mean, tell me I'm right....”

I cut myself off when I heard her angelic voice start to sing quietly, “And let the sun rain down on me, give me a sign, I want to believe...”

The smile that appeared on my face at the sound of her beautiful voice was impossible to fight, as I let one hand leave the steering wheel, to take in mine. That was a good sign, maybe everything could be okay.